• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GPS / iPhone app for measuring distance

centervolume

Hello all

watching videos lately I have noticed players using their phones to get distance readings for holes, measured in feet as you walk along for example. I can't seem to tell what app they are using. I blindly chose one or two but they were not effective.

Any recommended apps for this?

One thing to remember with distance apps....they rely on GPS. I believe UDisc will show what the accuracy is, but not all do.

A GPS position relies on the number of satellites it can connect to, the more satellites, the better the accuracy. I used to have a Garmin Tracker (I think that was the name), that would show the number of satellites connected to and the signal strength of each...you could see the positional accuracy change as the number of satellites went up or down and the signal strength of each changed.

((Some GPS can use cell towers instead of or along with satellites to provide position)).

If you ever geocache you become quite familiar with how inaccurate GPSs are and how it is odd they change as you take steps. So take udisc's distance measurements with a grain of salt.

Bushnell is apparently working on a laser range finder for disc golf. Totally unneeded, but I'll probably buy one when it comes out none the less. Current ones for hunting or ball golf would work, but register in yards or meters, not feet. I could do the math, but will wait.

I think the best uses of a range finder are:
1. players who have no sense of distance (me). Once you are off the tee pad, there's rarely anything to give you a distance to target - ball golf usually has sprinkler heads marked with distances or at least a 150 marker.
2. some range finders tell you the slope and give an indication of 'playing distance'. For example, a basket may be 250 feet away, but if it is downhill, it might play as 210 feet.

Bad part about range finders....they can slow play down.

(I think I saw Sarah Hokom use one at the 2020 Preserve)

Yes I've been seeing range finders a couple years old for 150 or so. Never used one... I suppose for my purposes as a player having a general sense of distance is ok like the markers on ball golf courses. As a designer however, accuracy becomes more essential. As a side note, I noticed that the new version of google earth has a measurement function.

Yes I've been seeing range finders a couple years old for 150 or so. Never used one... I suppose for my purposes as a player having a general sense of distance is ok like the markers on ball golf courses. As a designer however, accuracy becomes more essential. As a side note, I noticed that the new version of google earth has a measurement function.

Some people don't have a good sense of distance. For example: I have poor depth perception and I know my Escape goes about 230 feet, but I have no clue how far out 230 feet is when I'm at the tee box. So a rangefinder is an excellent tool for those that have no idea how far away something is.

Some people don't have a good sense of distance. For example: I have poor depth perception and I know my Escape goes about 230 feet, but I have no clue how far out 230 feet is when I'm at the tee box. So a rangefinder is an excellent tool for those that have no idea how far away something is.

I've been blessed with excellent distance judgement I guess. I remember many years ago playing with a range finder and picking out random objects and trying to guess their distance. My guess was pretty darn close to what they actually measured out so I decided I didn't really need to purchase a range finder since it didn't tell me anything I couldn't figure out on my own.

Even showing up to play an unfamiliar course for the first time I seldom look at any signs at the tee pads to tell me how far the basket is. I just look to the basket and decided which disc will get me there. I will look at the sign if it is a blind shot and you can't see the basket because it's hard for me to judge how far an object is away if I can't see the object obviously.

The UDisc app isn't overly trustworthy but it's obviously better than nothing.

I mean if I measure off a 350' shot but the accuracy is +/- twenty feet then maybe I really only hit 330. Or maybe I just threw 370. Hard to say if your measured throws are short changing you or giving you extra credit where it really isn't due.

The UDisc app isn't overly trustworthy but it's obviously better than nothing.

I mean if I measure off a 350' shot but the accuracy is +/- twenty feet then maybe I really only hit 330. Or maybe I just threw 370. Hard to say if your measured throws are short changing you or giving you extra credit where it really isn't due.
It's actually worse than that. If the app says it's off by 20 feet, that means the start point is off by up to 20 feet AND the end point is off by up to 20 feet making for up to a 40 foot difference.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That's not a UDisc thing, that's just the GPS chip in your phone. If you want better accuracy you'd need an external GPS receiver. That said I'm usually able to get intro 16' bubble and have good enough satellite imagery to see that it's closer than that.

GPS/iPhone apps for measuring distance can be a game-changer on the course! I totally get you—it's hard to pick the perfect one from the sea of options out there.

But fear not, I've got a recommendation for you! Have you tried looking for apps that offer an on-screen ruler feature? This nifty tool can help you measure distances accurately as you walk along the holes. It's like having a virtual measuring tape right on your phone!

Give it a shot and see how it goes. Remember, finding the perfect app is like finding the right club for the shot—sometimes it takes a little trial and error, but once you find the one that clicks, your game will level up! Happy golfing and happy app hunting!

The measure tool in the utilities folder. At least for distance. Not sure about vertical and so on with hills and things.