• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greystone Woods - Morris Plains, NJ

absolutely it will be playable. i posted the course with address, as well as a course map in the links section. as of right now there are no tee signs in the ground.

Last edited:
BASKETS ARE IN AT GREYSTONE WOODS!

Everyone,

I would like to invite you out for our opening event at Greystone Woods on August 10. All of the baskets are now installed and the course is playing great. We are still working hard to install the last tee pads and mark the course for ease of navigation. Hole 17's fairway will be mowed by the parks department soon. See out facebook page to get the current news.

We have established two layouts catering to two skill levels. The white tees will play at a par 58 and around a 900 rated skill level. The blue tees will stretch it out to a par 65 geared toward 950 rated skill level.

The reviews have been temporarily disabled for now until we get all the installation projects completed. But that being said for those who have played or will play I would like to know what you think good or bad. It is a beautiful park and amazing piece of property...We hope that we did it justice with a fun, challenging, and fair layout.

Come on out and ENJOY!

Thanks,

Eric

Overall it's a great course and will compete as NJ's best course with Stafford Woods. The poison was bad in places, hole 1 right of the basket, hole 2 was spotty up the fairway, hole 10 i didn't brave the bridge with missing steps and took the concrete dam route which has a poison plant overhanging it, hole 16 had some poison walking to it from 15's basket and up the fairway, and then 17 and 18 I didn't bother playing because they were bad, but look like fantastic finishing holes. The rest of the course is really good in that regard and surprising little underbrush in the woods. Hole 7 could use a fairway, it's pine plinko. Hole 8 didn't seem very fair either with fairway size and the slope into water. Hole 15 has a downed tree by the tee. I got really confused navigating to that hole and to 16, but I'm sure this will improve as paths become more clear and tee signs are added. I'll definitely be back, but it might be awhile since I'm not local. Great job so far! :thmbup:

played it Sunday....lots of potential....I hope these guys can pull it off

lots to like here and if certain issues can be addressed I am confident that indeed Jersey will have a handful of great courses instead of being the joke of the DG world

Thanks for the feedback. We still have a lot of work left to do for the tee pads and trail navigation (especially the last 4 or 5 holes). Several marked tees are scheduled to be moved or tweaked. Specifically hole 7's tees will be moved to force the use of the lefthand fairway instead of the option to throw straight and brave the crapshoot of pines near the pin.

The bridge on hole 10 will be repaired by the parks dept...until then everyone should use the spill way at the bottom of the dam as you found out. I am not sure if we will ever be able to remove the downed tees by 15's tee. We cannot use power tools and very close to EVERYTHING had to be cut out and removed by hand. Hole 17 long tee is definitely unplayable and only the perimeter of the fairway was mowed. The parks crew is working to get us into the mowing schedule. 17 short tee is not marked but we have been throwing from the top of the hill over the tall grass down to the basket. 18's fairway still needs another cut and the tees to be marked.

As for the poison ivy, we have removed a large amount but just have not been able to get to everything. Does anyone have any tips to kill it off and keep it out?

Thanks again,

Awesome course

Very fun course. Played the front 9 yesterday with my kids. Great use of the varied terrain. You can tell that the layout was well thought out. I liked how hole 3 and 5 play out of the field, rather than through it like some other NJ courses. There wasn't a hole on the front 9 where I was worried about losing a disc off the tee. Next tee signs definitely helped out with navigation.

My kids dubbed hole 5 "Hobbiton" as they said it looks like Bilbo's home with all the rolling hills. At 4 and 8 years old, the course kept them entertained and they threw every hole. The only complaint from them was they wanted "kid's tees" closer to the basket.

Can't wait to come and try the back 9 next Sunday at the Opening.

keep up the good work guys, can't wait to make it up there... Let's keep raising the bar over here in the Dirty Jersey!!

I also believe you can mix vinegar, dawn dish soap, and water - and use a hand pump spray to spread the mixture. That will also kill weeds and poison ivy in a much more natural manor

http://www.thecentsableshoppin.com/how-to-make-your-own-weed-killer/

^ This. Distilled white vinegar destroys weeds/ poison ivy. I never heard of putting dawn dish soap in it, I don't know what purpose that would serve. Also do NOT chop, cut, or weedwhack before spraying mixture, you want to douse the full plant, leaves and all. Can't wait to make it up there, my buddy Disc Fiend says it's awesome!

Last edited:
My kids dubbed hole 5 "Hobbiton" as they said it looks like Bilbo's home with all the rolling hills.

Genius, I love the name! "Bagshot Row" will be the fairway, and I'll cut a hobbit hole in the grass and post a "Bag End" sign when I'm trimming the fairway this week.

Hobbiton...I love it! We should definitely put a round door in the side of the hill that you walk by after playing hole 4. Maybe we could do little smoke stacks for the tees instead of the wood blocks. Soon some of the old growth trees might start looking like treebeard and the Ents. The huge boulders north of 14s tee could be shaped to look like Bilbo's trolls. I am sure we could throw in a ring wraith or two somewhere out there. We will blaze the trails with the symbol of the eye in place of next tee signs. We could turn the hillside green on 16 into castle Gondor or Helms deep. Ok my head is spinning with ideas but I will stop boring everyone with the LOTR references.

^^^no, this is great thinking. when i was on the course (might have been tradgunkie), a man with his children commented on the lack of children's tees. these children were 8 and 4! whatever we can do to include everyone, especially kids, is awesome. on with the LOTR-zation of Greystone! pretty unique, i think.

We have always had it in mind to add the junior tees but we are not that far into the installation process. And so far we have been swamped with just getting the basic elements completed. What we could do for the interim is mark the junior tees with flags. I am guessing that the distances for these tees will be between 100 to 200 ft per hole.

Latest posts