• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greystone Woods - Morris Plains, NJ

We have always had it in mind to add the junior tees but we are not that far into the installation process.

I don't know any NJ courses that have junior tees. The only reason my kids mentioned it was because they played in a kid's tournament back in May at Field of Dreams. They flagged a set of tees closer to each basket on the front 9. This plus playing with kids their own age was a huge turning point in their interest in the sport.

We will most likely add some shorter tees before too long. I can't promise they would be sturdy built up tee boxes and probably will not be much more than just flags. The concept of the junior tees for the experienced players offers an ace run or sudo par 2 layout. It could be a lot of fun or give a nice putter practice round. We will have to see how it develops. Conversely, I am sure we will be adding longer tees and pins to offer a higher challenge aimed at gold level play.

Update...At this point we have crushed stone tee pads on almost all the tee pads. All of the holes and tee pads are playable. We have cut out a lot of the rough. The bridge across the dam on hole 10 has been reconstructed and is now open for use. I may not be saying much but the course is looking better than ever. With exception of a few patches of ankle high grass in the rough and a few sticker bushes... IMO it is looking great. After a couple more years of work this place will be spectacular. BEWARE, the tall grass in the fields is still hungry for plastic! Our opening day event is this Sunday 8/8/14 and based on feedback we expect a nice turnout. If your in the area stop on by.

Course looked fantastic today.

Thank you for everyone who put in work to get this course up and running. Rest assured, everyone's efforts are well noted. In the three times I played there, I noticed dramatic improvements everytime. From the "next tee" signs, to the weed control on the fairways. Very impressive.

Also, the amount of wildlife in this tiny little park is amazing. I've seen three snakes on Holes 1&2, a ton of toads on 2, a family of deer on 3, preying mantis on 5, and frogs on 8. I haven't been to the back 9 yet, and I can't wait to see what nature has in store.

Summer is tough for me, and I regret not finding a moment without my kids this past month to help out on the course. Hopefully there will be future projects that I can help with in the fall.

wildlife

We will have plenty of opportunity over the fall and winter to help out with projects. Please check out the FB page for all of the updates on workdays and approved side projects for anyone to do. A huge and simple help would be to collect any trash you might find along the way. It is very clean right now but we all know that not all patrons are respectful. Thanks for your help in advance.

Speaking of wildlife about a month ago I was playing a solo round and I had two spotted fawns bouncing around and followed me from midway hole 2 until I finished hole 5. They stayed about 50 feet from me the whole time before bounding off to the woods. They had a curious look about them as they were trying to figure out who or what I was. Pretty cool experience.

I played this course just a month ago and I have to say it's magnificent. I was truly impressed with the layout and loved the challenge from the short to the long tees. I would travel to come back to this course in a heartbeat. Coming from Tyler State Park and having Nockamixon in my backyard and having grown up in Delaware and having Iron Hill and Brandywine when I go back to see the rents.....I rank Greystone right up there with those courses. You need length and accuracy to get a good score on that course..Keep up the good work because it it showing.

Rocaholic74,
Thanks for coming to check out the course and I am glad you enjoyed it. Even though it is still pretty rough, I think it plays pretty well especially for a new woods course. We have tried to use many of the best design concepts from many of the places you have mentioned as well as other top quality courses. Some of the most used sayings we had in the design was "Is this a fun shot? "What is the best use of the features of the land? and "Is this skill level appropriate?" We have a lot of plans to elevate Greystone to the next level over the next year or so. Thanks for the compliments and spread the word.

Junior Tees

UPDATE:
I am happy to announce we finally were able to mark all of the red tees (aka junior tees). Look for the slim red painted pvc pipes. A few of the tees will be changing here or there and some of the tee pads will need construction. But they are ready for play.

Besides shortening the course considerably...I think the tees play completely different than what we already have. They show off different aspects of the holes and provide great practice for the short game. Most of the red tees are under 200 ft and are par 3. I would call hole 2 the lone par 4 (or higher if you are playing with children).

We need playtesters and would like feedback before we finalize and make the boxes and or markers more permanent.

All,

We have made quite a few upgrades to the course this past year including improved fairways, tees, and selective mowing for the fields. I would like to welcome everyone to come out our first PDGA sanctioned c-tier event on September 27. All three sets of tees will be used for the various divisions. Check our facebook page for more info
www.greystonewoodsdgc.org
https://m.facebook.com/greystonewoodsdgc

Latest posts