• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip EQ bag... is it worth it?

Jannus

I currently use an Innova Competition bag, with the back saver straps. This past summer, i was given the opportunity to use a backpack style bag from Grip EQ for one round. Although i liked it a bunch, I'm not entirely sure it's woth the money to switch. My wife has told me that if i wanted one, she'd buy it for me for Christmas, but I don't want to be disappointed. Anyone out there used a Grip bag for a season or more that can shed some light on the "pros/cons" of it?

Yes.
/thread

seriously though, the grip is the bees knees.
Cons: can't bring a bunch of beer and keep it cold
Pros: everything else!

if not the Grip, the prodiscus bag looks sweet, and there are quite a few backpack style bags popping up on the market now. regardless of which brand you choose, i have found the backpack style bags to be leaps and bounds more comfortable than a bag w/quads.

honestly, i'd tell my wife either a backpack style bag, basket, or a handgun....but thats me

^^With all due respect, that is a massive thread to direct someone toward. If they are asking if it is worth it, it might be better to keep here than wade through 150+ pages of bickering/photos/modifications. Perhaps this can be a thread where people can express their experience in a concise fashion.

Good point on the fact that this can be a different type of thread. I think the fact that the thread on the bag is that big should say something about the bag. If I stumble upon a massive thread, I usually jump to the last couple pages to see what is being said recently.

Last edited:
And I think that there is more then enough reviews from Grip owners on that thread to help him figure out if it is worth it or not :)

Last edited:
Although i liked it a bunch, I'm not entirely sure it's woth the money to switch.
Maybe you could explain more what you liked and didn't like about it?

I have one and its badass, but that said I carry a crunchbox for casual rounds because the Grip can be overkill. Playing tournaments? Absolutely worth it. Weekend warrior? Might not be worth the money over a DIY or something like a Mojo/Karma for half the cost.

EDIT: The ONLY con I've come up with so far on my Grip is that it lacks dividers in the main compartment (and that was solved by buying the Innova U-Channel divider for like $10).

Last edited:
Likes and dislikes

Maybe you could explain more what you liked and didn't like about it?

My "likes" about the bag.... well, I did like how it distributed the weight differently, for one. I liked how I could take it off and put it back on without having to adjust the straps to keep the weight from riding on my hips/lower back. I also liked that the straps seemed to have more padding than the quad straps I currently use. Having drink pockets big enough for 32 oz. bottles is also definitely a big plus. The "meshing" of the bag that allows "air flow" between you and the bag was a nice thought, but I'm not entirely sure it was very effective. Oh, and the rain-fly built in? WAY cool.

As for dislikes or "cons"... there aren't many. I guess I wish that it were a lighter color, since black isn't usually the coolest color (temperature-wise) to be carrying around on a sunny day in the middle of summer.

I've only had my grip for 3 weeks (maybe 2?) and initially I had buyers remorse over buying a $230 (with tax at my local shop) bag... but that went away after playing 2 or 3 rounds with it. There's just so many things right with this bag that I don't know if I could go back to something else.

Depends? If you carry less than 22 discs total (19 in the main and 3 in the putter) than the answer is yes! If you carry more than that. I would look at the Golf Mahal or the Prodiscus bag.
The Grip is one of the best designed bags I've owned. It is well thought out, from the pencil holders to the mini pocket. The only neg. is the storage on the sides is OK, but small. The pouch up top will hold a decent amout of stuff though. Other than that, I really can't think of any other negatives about the bag. The quality is excellent as well, but this is were the Golf Mahal excells hands down. If you could find a bag with a Grip design and the materials of the Mahal. It would be as close to perfect as you can get.
Can't speak for the Prodiscus yet. I have one on the way, but I'm worried about it's durability since it's made with nylon and not Cordura.

I'm in the same boat. I also don't wanna be that guy with a $200 bag that is on the last card....

I've yet to be on the last card, but I don't wanna be that guy just the same.

I'm in the same boat. I also don't wanna be that guy with a $200 bag that is on the last card....

I've yet to be on the last card, but I don't wanna be that guy just the same.

To be completely honest, I'd have to admit that I usually wind up on the bottom card. :( but I figure, hey, it may have cost me $200, but I'm comfortable...

I had a first run and a second run grip. Grip is an awesome bag however I traded it for a mystery ranch golf mahal. The mahal answers my two gripes with the grip. The storage space for those days when you start off and it's cold but by mid round it is too hot for a coat. I ended up wearing my coat around my waist. Second there was no room for adult beverages and water as well.
The mahal is also top notch materials and actually is the same size as the grip with the pockets sucked in. The only thing I really miss about the grip is the way it carried a stool best design hands down for that aspect. It is really around how you will use it. Awesome bag! Just did not fit my needs.
Gary

I have played 5 rounds since getting mine a week ago. My back feels better for sure. I love all the pockets and I know they will come in handy for tournament play. I know when this bag has had it ill get another!

If you wanna save your back, Go Kart! Then your can make your own bag or stick one in there for ALMOST the same price. I picked one up used, Best thing ever. No carrying anything and its a chair with a back right with you.

But the grip is definitely nice, AND it comes with a lifetime warranty so its technically the last bag you'll ever need to buy. If it fails you get a new one. Period.

i want a summer bag and a winter bag. the winter bag will be bigger and have more room for clothes for me and my boys. THe Grip bag will not be my main winter bag.

For summer i have been trying a grip and a voodoo mojo. Grip wins hands down. I carry too many discs for the mojo and they fit well in the grip. THe pocket space is not a big deal and I like Grip's pocket system better. i was concerned about room for sweatshirts for windy days we have had lately but i hook them to the outside of the bag instead of cramming them in a pocket.

i have a large huklab umbrella and it does not fit well in the GRIP, but it doesnt fit in any other bag either. The grip bag carries and rides much nicer than the mojo and it looks awesome too. that being said i will be selling/trading my mojo because I don't need it.

Last edited:

Latest posts