• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] GT Banger Love?

ACE Ventura

Par Member
I was wondering if other people find the GT Banger as wonderful as I do?

I feel like it may be the most underrated disc out there. No one really talks about it as being their favorite putter. I understand some people don't like the thumb groove, but I don't know why, it's really comfy.

Do any of you have Bangers as your main putt or carry one for windy/ longer shots?

The Crystal/Sparkle/Z can really skyrocket in price between infrequent runs.

A Pro D is my primary putter. I also carry an esp banger for upshots and drives. I have switched to other putters (aviars, wizards, ions) but I keep coming back. Nothing wrong with the others, I just haven't found any others that work as well. It is also nice to be able to find another one just like it easily.

I currently am using Wizards but I never take my Banger out of my bag... I dabbled with an Ion for a while too but it just doesn't cut it for me. I'd like a nicer plastic banger but I feel like it might get kicked by the chains easier.

Knarfks, is your ESP your primary driving putter? I can imagine it works fairly well!

My buddy is money with them. The groove is positioned completely wrong for me. Seems like they're just a GT Wizard.

I'd guess twenty to thirty people like them as much as you. Not me though, we just had Bangers last month and two months earlier. Growing up on Bangers makes one tired of seeing the same stuff on their plate. Now that I'm older I'd never order Bangers. I'll have to search for something better next time I'm hungry if ya know what I'm saying.

I own a soft Banger GT. I can´t use it for anything then putting. As much as i like soft putters over stiff ones, the amount of "softness" on this thing is too damn high. Just wabbels out of my hand all the time...... :(

btothej89, Maybe you should get a stiffer Banger, they beat in pretty quickly!

I just always find myself pulling out my Banger when the Wizards start treating me bad.. I know it's user error but the mentality the Banger brings always helps!

Ryan, I feel your pain.. I find myself swapping out discs often just so I can throw something new, it's a quick method to accumulate wayyy too much plastic (if that's possible)

I for one love the Pro D GT Banger. I've actually got two now.

I went looking to replace the Polecat I used last year. I just never liked how that putter felt in my hand or released so when I saw a misprint Pro D Banger for $5 I figured I'd try it - the grove fits my hand perfectly for snap putts.

After I started getting into that putter I found myself driving with it (occasionally into trees) and using it for approaches. I found that I liked one in a little better shape for my snap putts/chain shots so I went and got another to keep in better shape. I see myself getting a softie or another new one to add to the bag next year. I'm really trying to limit molds so I think next year my bag would look something like this:

2 or 3x Bangers
2x Wraith (a Pro and a Dx)
2x Teebird (One I'll beat up a bit first then start using the other to have them at two different levels of use)
3x Buzzz (Elite X Wasp, Buzzz Z SS, and likely a Pro D that I'll beat up for annys)

As you can see the bangers will be getting a lot of use again next year.

I'm curious how many of you throw the CryZtal Bangers and how you like them.

I rocked Bangers for a couple of years...Soft Pro-D 2 years ago and then a regular Pro-D last year. I liked them, but ultimately moved on to Wizards this year to see what all the hype was about.

I have 2 bangers is the bag. both for driving duties. 1 velvety blue for straight to turn over duties and an ESP for straight with a fade. I always had a hard time driving with putters until I found the banger. The higher profile of putters felt like it was rolling out of my hands. I wish they made banger with no bead so it would turn over more. I putted with them for a while but put a beat omega back in the bag for the added glide.

I usually hate when people get all sappy about how much they love a disc so I won't go there, but I will say the Banger is the only disc I have ever purchased that immediately took strokes off my rounds. I lost my main putter that will remain nameless due to the fan boy aspect. I went looking for a new putter and wanted to find a disc that fit exactly what I was looking. Did not go out and start buying names, instead made a list of what I wanted out of a putter and searched for a while for discs that fit. The Banger was the first one on the list I tried and d*** the first day I had it I could tell it wasn't leaving my bag. I will say it is not a disc for everybody. You have to be looking for a disc like it, some people will hate it. It fits my style perfectly. Here is what I wanted from a putter:

Overstable so I could throw it and putt with it.

Medium to stiff plastic (D Banger)

Relatively shallow because deep putters release terrible for me.

Low glide putter- I putt pretty hard and low glide putters give me less of a come back putt if I miss a long putt. It may just be my style but I also find they fall in more when hitting odd spots on the chains because they do not have the glide to keep them going when they stop spinning.

A putter I liked to throw and putt with to reduce molds

Something easy to replace if I lose it- unlike my original disc that sent me on the hunt to begin with.

Got a soft for putting and cryztal for drives. Can't ever see taking them outta the bag. I've tried many many others but always come back!

Ive seen a few people using them.. I even started with one lol. Picked one up recently and it felt pretty decent in the hand, but I have no complaints with my judges so they are staying.

It's nice to see some others with the appreciation of a Banger! I don't want to sound sappy about it but I just don't ever see people playing with them or talking about them. I wish there were some pros out there that tossed Bangers, it needs to be represented!

When I learned how to disc golf a few years ago, my friend who taught me would play entire rounds with just his Banger. I didn't realize it at the time but when I think back it was very impressive for the course we were playing. He's the reason I got caught up on the disc.. maybe I should thank him sometime.