• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GTFO of the cold

I'm getting more and more tempted to just say screw FLA and head straight East from Hobbs and spend a day or two at IDGC and Hippodrome.

I'd love me some 70 degrees right about now, but it seems like for that I'll have to get all the way down to Tampa....which would be awesome too, but IDGC...:confused:

Too many choices!

Less driving, more disc golf.

Yeah...don't get me wrong, I LOVE driving, but there just seems to be almost nothing in the entire lower half of GA, and only a couple of good-to-great courses in FLA north of like the Tampa/Orlando areas.

Updated -

Chattanooga, and Etowah 3/10
Hobb's Farm 3/11
IDGC 3/12
(Hopefully) Stoney Hill 3/13 (Hippodrome/other nearby courses if not)

The Hippodrome has been closed, not totally sure if it's open yet. Langley Pond is just up the road about 10 minutes from the Hippodrome and is much better than either of the courses there.

Augusta note: Langley Pond is a highlight (just across the border into SC). It was recently in the Top 10, and is still near it.

BUT.....I just saw on the Augusta Facebook page that holes 7-13 are closed, while some construction/repairs are made. They're expecting them to be open this weekend, but in some doubt as to whether the signs will be back up. It would be a little tricky to navigate, without signs.

If it's on your agenda, you might double-check with someone local before playing it.

The Hippodrome has been closed, not totally sure if it's open yet. Langley Pond is just up the road about 10 minutes from the Hippodrome and is much better than either of the courses there.

Augusta note: Langley Pond is a highlight (just across the border into SC). It was recently in the Top 10, and is still near it.

BUT.....I just saw on the Augusta Facebook page that holes 7-13 are closed, while some construction/repairs are made. They're expecting them to be open this weekend, but in some doubt as to whether the signs will be back up. It would be a little tricky to navigate, without signs.

If it's on your agenda, you might double-check with someone local before playing it.

Nice, thanks for these updates. It's only on the agenda if Stoney falls through, so hopefully I won't have to worry about it. Unless I want to try to pack the IDGC courses and Langley into one day...

But this trip I am going to try to focus on taking it slow and really enjoying every course I play to the fullest - a lot of my recent trips have been taken with a non-discer - this one is all about the frolf.

I've been thinking about what to play on the way back, and I think I am going to overshoot Madison and go out of my way to play Harmony Bends. It's about 12 hours from Mooresville, so I'll leave early Friday, play something along the way (probably around NSH - that's right about half way), play Harmony all day Saturday and then head home.

I always end up doing this though - I leave my friend's early in the morning and don't play anything in the Charlotte area before leaving. And since he doesn't play, I usually don't play while I am there. I've been there 3 times and have only played 1 course in the area. If only he was a discer....

Man, you picked a couple of miserable days to head south. It's Spring inside on my calendar, but Winter outside in the weather. Not your kind of winter, of course, but something close to our kind of winter.

Whatever the conditions tomorrow at Stoney Hill, it's sure to be an improvement over yesterday and today.

I'm going to be in Augusta in April and was wondering if the Hippodrome courses will be open by then? Also looking forward to playing Langly and maybe some IDGC.

Edit: We were hoping to play Stoney Hill on our third or fourth visit up that way so that it stands out more.

Last edited:
I'm going to be in Augusta in April and was wondering if the Hippodrome courses will be open by then? Also looking forward to playing Langly and maybe some IDGC.

Edit: We were hoping to play Stoney Hill on our third or fourth visit up that way so that it stands out more.

AFAIK they're still holding Nationals there in April so it theoretically should be back open. Of course, there's Boyd Pond Park, Riverview Park, Lake Olmstead, Pendleton King, and Patriots Park if it's still closed.

Man, you picked a couple of miserable days to head south. It's Spring inside on my calendar, but Winter outside in the weather. Not your kind of winter, of course, but something close to our kind of winter.

Whatever the conditions tomorrow at Stoney Hill, it's sure to be an improvement over yesterday and today.

As it turned out, it was sunny, windy, a bit chill or balmy, depending on whether you were the South Carolinian host or the Wisconsinite guest.

It ended up being a fantastic trip. I didn't let the rain or sort-of cold ruin anything.

Ended up playing 2.5 rounds in steady rain and a bunch in really wet and soppy conditions, but it was still a blast.

Here's what I ended up playing and how it went:

Day 1
Cloudland State Park - 42
Fun, short, easy pitch & putt course. Seemed like the whole front 9 was RHBH hyzers and the whole back was turnovers. Hit an ace on 9 with a QMS.

Etowah - 56
Really fun Intermediate level course with some longer harder holes but nothing crazy. It was SUPER muddy here, and just when I finished the sun broke through.

Day 2
Hobbs longest config (gold tees and orange baskets when they existed) - 71
Hobbs Short tees - 55
Hobss Middle tees - 59

Wow. Hobbs is fantastic. On the Maple Hill / Rollin Ridge level. I love the multiple tees and baskets to create so much variation. Awesome boardwalk tee for 17. My last round from whites was my best and I used only a Sole, Tank, Leo, and Respecti bc I was tired.

Day 3
IDGC Warner - 65
IDGC Steady - 61
IDGC Jackson - 75
IDGV Steady - 60

Amazing place. Best golf all in one place I've ever seen besides HBH. I was pretty hurt and tired for Warner but loosened up after that. Loved the water shot on Steady 5. Lost my 3rd throw round one (I couldnt help myself), and nailed a perfect shot on round 2. Played that second Steady round with the same 4 discs as Hobbs. Jackson was my favorite, especially the back 9 of it.

Day 4
Stoney Hill Garnet - 68
Stoney Hill Long - 65

Spectacular. Big thanks to David for taking the time to show me both layouts. I couldn't stay in bounds in round 1 (circle 7, triple circle 8), but played ok besides that. I was running a lot of dangerous upshots and putts and going in the drink. Second round was better for sure. The finishing 6 holes of long is the most fun stretch I played the whole trip.

Day 7
Renny Gold - 71
Renny Gold - 74
Hornets shorts - 57
Hornets longs - 71

Renny is amazing but kicked my ass. I played pretty well, I swear, and still couldnt break 70 bc I had a blowup hole or two each round. 13 or 14, the 942 big uphill dog leg has a downed tree completely blocking the fairway which cost me both times. Really loved this place though, a really solid mix of open and wooded and great use of OB.

Hornets is great too, but its layed out really stange. The front 9 weaves all over the place through the park and there's alot of roads and paths in play. I played well from shorts but was just dead by that last round from longs. It's not as hard as Renny like I made it seem.

---

If I could play any one of them one more time, it would be Stoney long layout. There are more holes there that I really want another chance at than anywhere else. I know I can 3 that one over the lake!

I lost 4 discs:
17 Hobbs on the right on round 1 - glow Trak (of course right when Vibram goes OOP)
5 Steady in the lake - Leo3.
16(I think?) Stoney long - QOLS
13 Renny - Tank in a tree trying to go over the downed tree.

Last edited:
All the trouble I went through to break out the sunshine, and it doesn't even get a mention. Sigh.

....but thanks for your kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed Stoney Hill. It was a pleasure, particularly since nobody ever wants to play both layouts in one visit.

I did this same Madison to Charlotte trip this year to escape the end of the cold in WI. Lousy Smarch weather...

I got destroyed by gold level courses the whole trip. I like those the best but playing them coming off a long winter can be rough. In my solo road trips Ive started trying to play 2 rounds at most places. I learn and remember them better and it's fun to try to break my round 1 score.

Here were my rounds:

Panther Creek State Park, Knoxville TN - 78, 71
RL Smith, Charlotte NC - 55
Nevin, Charlotte, NC- 75, 69
Tommy Schumpert, Knoxville TN - 73
Hidden Ridge, Dry Ridge Ky - 57, 56

Panther Creek destroyed me coming off an overnight of driving. First round was especially brutal as it's a tough one to play blind. 71 is the listed course par and though it seems a bit high, I was still glad to hit it.

RLS was a brief reprieve. Shot 55 after a terrible 32 on the front 9. Pretty good back 9 to get under course par.

Nevin is my new Charlotte favorite over Renny Gold. What an amazing course. I was pretty exhausted by this point and just couldn't keep from exploding on a couple holes each round. Played decent but had a handful of 6+s.

Schumpert was a great surprise. It's only like 3.3 on here but imo it should be at least a 4. Long to long is a beast... but I was not on. Would have loved to try again but didn't have the time.

Hidden Ridge was maybe the best part of my trip. I finally shook off the winter rust and was hitting lines all day, and my escape game was pretty great when I did hit the first tree. Beat my first round by 1 in the second round but played it totally different with more 2s and 5s.

Last edited:

Latest posts