• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guy stands in field to try and throw plastic to 400.

Looks like an awfully restricted practice space.

Need to drop lower/hips move deeper on rear leg getting more athletic going into the swing. This will make the swing longer back and forth and might actually hit the tarp if you do it right sending your shoulders twirling thru instead of stopping them short.

I just had a go at what you mentioned, getting into the rear leg makes me feel a lot more athletic and also elongated my backswing further than before making me feel coiled up - it made me re think my backswing to get this feeling easier / sooner, which reminded me of a prior good feeling of tension throughout the body and core - now the natural unwinding of everything is more apparent!!

Lazy off arm - but you can see how it's slowing the shoulders down.

Restricted? Nonsense! I can do an x step � hahah

Swing your left shoulder/arm underneath you and then upward chasing the disc down the target line past the front foot. Make a bigger longer whip! or uppercut. I don't think your left arm is lazy, it is being dragging out because you are tilted over top and jamming/screwing yourself downward into the front leg instead of pivoting the swing thru under and up thru posted up on front leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4#t=3m26s

Note how Paul's right ear is tilted up to the sky, yours is pointed down at the ground. Pauls left arm/shoulder move underneath him compacting into center.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 11.36.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 11.36.47 PM.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Work on Dingle Arm swinging easy, start in a little wider stance and shift/rock back and forth rather than turning/twisting. Don't worry about hugging yourself in dingle arm at the top of the backswing, you can't hug yourself in a pendulum motion. It's only when you rotate the shoulder horizontally you can hug yourself in bad way.

You have got to get the left shoulder/arm to move/shift closer to target during the swing instead of reversing back away.
attachment.php

Attachments

• parbque me dingle arm.jpg
    parbque me dingle arm.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 97
Thankyou for those annotations! Helps me see the issue, Took me a little while. I *think* I get what you mean with the rear shoulder - it's pulling me back / slowing me down instead of continuing following the leading shoulder - therefore elongating everything.

I'm ALWAYS looking at the god damn ground! Too much fixation on what my feet are doing or something , I couldn't even tell you what I'm
Looking at...

Not perfect but I think the rear shoulder is now behaving better - I'm sipping the beverage at the end!

Still some side bend/tilt dynamic balance issues. Note how my pelvis shifts more than my head back and forth, and head stays in dynamic balance and braced tilt back and forth inside.
nQOfeS8.png

Another eye opening annotation - Thankyou!

Wow my head moves so much! So I'm missing that compactness and instead have lots of lateral movement = slow. Wonder if I'll feel the body wanting to unwind even more now.

Thought about the shoulders - I'm kind of making a concave shape with them, is this what you meant with the hugging someone else not yourself? Seems so obvious now....

To the form dungeon!!!!

Quick question on dingle arm.

You say In a true pendulum swing there's no hugging that can happen. Does that mean the torso / core /shoulders never really rotate back? (Would be considered rounding?). The feeling of the backswing when dingle arming and the feeling of really turning back with the shoulders and twisted core are very similar - what is right and what is wrong? Or is it not that black and white.

Trying to limit my head movement (that sounds bad...) makes things feel less free wheeling and dynamic. I find it difficult to get onto the front leg and have my leading shoulder raise up when doing so. I think it has something to do with how I'm moving between the feet, I look very upright in comparison to you. Lead with butt more/hersh?

Not sure what you are saying, I don't really feel twisted up in dingle arm, more free wheeling circle/windmill while maintaining dynamic center. Like swinging something really heavy in perpetual pendulum or windmill, the right shoulder/arm swing together from the left shoulder.

Starting at the top of the swing release/hit, your right shoulder should be higher than left shoulder which is tilted or side bend/crunched down closer to left hip(left elbow to left hip), while right side is expanded right shoulder up away from right hip. Side bend/crunch/tilt keeps the head more dynamically centered(changes tilt back and forth) and body out of the way of arm swing on plane.

Going into backswing your right shoulder/arm should swing back together underneath left side, so your right side of the spine/torso should go into side bend/crunch and left side should extend/expand/post up to fulcrum the backswing and left shoulder/hip moves deeper to the east/right tee side to allow the right shoulder/hip swing back/south behind the left shoulder if you kept moving back into x-step.

Quick question on dingle arm.

You say In a true pendulum swing there's no hugging that can happen. Does that mean the torso / core /shoulders never really rotate back? (Would be considered rounding?). The feeling of the backswing when dingle arming and the feeling of really turning back with the shoulders and twisted core are very similar - what is right and what is wrong? Or is it not that black and white.

Trying to limit my head movement (that sounds bad...) makes things feel less free wheeling and dynamic. I find it difficult to get onto the front leg and have my leading shoulder raise up when doing so. I think it has something to do with how I'm moving between the feet, I look very upright in comparison to you. Lead with butt more/hersh?

Not sure if this will help, but I've been having a lot of success lately doing the swing drills he does here at the beginning, but using a bat instead of a golf club. Mistake I had made before was I was just trying to swing the bat really hard one handed. Now I'm realizing I should be tossing/throwing the bat. My field work starts with doing these swing drills at the beginning and actually tossing the bat. Even with the hammer I found myself trying to muscle it out there, but for some reason with the bat it feels really natural to let my body and momentum toss it out there. I was going to post a vid in my form thread tomorrow to see if I'm on the right track but figured I'd share it with you since it's allowed me to feel the dinglearm more naturally than anything else has.

https://youtu.be/7IFO7J3AV5Y

Hey all,

I had a nice breakthrough the other day.

I'm unable to practice outside but came across it during one of the kitchen sessions �� something fundamentally wasn't right and I finally figured it out.

I decided to stick at the SW forward pump move to get better posture / orientation towards the target. I never got it to work before and now I know why.
My x step was completely wrong tempo. This is another thing that was a familiar feeling back in spring when everything came together.

I wasn't loading onto my front leg enough when starting so Never really got my butt forward enough. I noticed in a few SW vids (door frame intro in particular the overhead view) that his rear foot leaves the ground first after the initial step but also that it catches from behind first too. You'll also notice that his first stride is a pretty decent size - I assume to get the momentum going and really swing the butt targetward. The difference being I was leaving the ground off of my initial step very lightly and upright hopping up off and kicking the can - if you do it you'll feel that there's just little to no momentum heading down the tee pad. It makes everything off balance and herky jerky. (And very hard to lead from behind) This new tempo / Rhythm feels very intuitive and the sequence really seems to come together easier.

Now I feel like I'm really able to get up and over the rear leg like a spring - getting my weight ahead of it, instead of before where I was behind / on top of it.

Haven't had a chance to field test it but I think it's going to be a great change! Hope this helps some folks.

Update for posterity;

Got out for a few very chilly, icy holes last weekend.

I switched off the form brain and I haven't been practicing or thinking about anything for a couple weeks now, so this is a good representation of my "natural" swing now.

It's the first time I've got to use my new rhythm with a disc in hand and it feels great! Funny how (still) one change instantly makes other things make a lot more sense (I don't think I'll ever get over that fact).
I'm very close to a big big breakthrough - some posture adjustment and not letting my backswing get too inside (something to do with how I'm not backswinging correctly from behind tee view).

In a much better space mentally too. Full disclosure for anyone out there working on their form and struggling with the mental aspect - I had a bit of a nervous breakdown a few weeks ago, I've been in a better place regarding working on DG stuff but turns out that perfectionist / expectation attitude ran in all aspects of my life and it finally boiled over. So go easy on yourself! It truly is a process, don't try to pin point to get to stage A by this time or "why am I not here yet" etc. Some folks are going to to understand and learn quicker than others and vice versa. Obvious to many, but not to others!

Thanks for reading my TED talk, here's my infinite work in progress :)

Hello all! Garage training in full effect. Still too much snow for field work so take what I can get. Soon though!

Been having a few great understandings recently, all stemming from the "oblique sling" thread which in turn made me realize my backswing was all wrong.

From there more concepts started to fall into place, like getting the shoulder forward way sooner, which means it's earlier to turn back (with a proper load) which means the whole system gets nice and stretched out as you move past the disc (working around the disc thread). This kinda looked like;

From there the feet felt more involved, like I could really swing back into my rear foot and re direct that momentum forward into the brace. It had never really felt right before. But something was still off, I was shanking 45 to the right often. Couldn't feel the weight on every drive. Some rounding crept back in.

Figured it was something early in the sequence, I had messed around with postures and didn't change much. The fix was pretty hilariously simple but I knew it was right as it felt like a familiar earlier breakthrough.

- I just watched my backswing making sure it went "straight" or "inside out" - suddenly the connection was back! Literally followed it with my eyes and instantly got some serious feldy vibes. I just figured this out so we will see how it goes on the course tomo! I'm wondering if I'm shorting the swing or perhaps I need to move more to the right with footwork - my disc path never gets deep into the right pec.

I'm right around 320ft with a buzzz, 350ft with a teebird and pushing the 400's with a wraith on a (good/best)flip up line. All averages but feeling pretty effortless which is nice. A buddy gave me a blowfly to throw and I put it by the pin on a 320ft hole which was unbelievable but also a hell yeah things are coming together!

Here's some ultra pro form laboratory footage

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks everyone!

Looks good except your grip is never leveraged behind of the disc CoG.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 2.54.27 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 2.54.27 AM.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 62
Looks good except your grip is never leveraged behind of the disc CoG.
attachment.php

Adding a tip to SWs comment that has helped me feeling the leverage on the outside of the disc.

Imagine a force pulling the opposite edge of the disc straight back from the trajectory.
You could even grab the disc on the opposite edge with your other hand and pull the disc backwards (while keeping it still in the power pocket) so that you feel the resistance in your throwing hand and wrist. You want that feeling when you throw, but still loose and smooth. Don't stiffen up. Relaxed hand and wrist until the hit.

Fixing this might also help you get closer to the chest in the power pocket.

UaTKL4H.png

Thanks guys! I think that grip issue was holding me back on a few things. I just had some more re discoveries today. I made a short vid to explain, if it's right, hopefully it can help someone. The FH feels like nothing I've tried before! I'm really excited to try it out.
Nothing that SW hasn't covered already haha.

I'm really feeling how moving between the feet this way I can operate the entire swing just by clearing my hips back and forth. Does that sound right? Feels like a good time in my swings back in April last year. Feels like my pelvis is like a engine for the throw. The rear hip clears back and backswing comes through feeling tension in the lats (inside swing drill)(obliques?) then I shift to front instep and clear the butt back (butt wipe drill) and swing through (dingle arm) but now the arm feels like it's lagging back and the last thing to come through the system.

Hilariously this is like swing 101 stuff and this is post 900 something! Gotta love the process eh hahaaa

Latest posts