• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guys, I am tired of waiting to get discs.

I have 2 Jawbreaker Zones.

I'll put you in my will so you can have them once I die ;)

Assuming I don't lose them both first :|

You might get some $$$ for that from the right collector. That's an OLD stamp, maybe first run.

Way to be THAT guy Streets. I was about to offer him a solid 5 bucks foor it ;)

I had never seen that stamp before. If you want to get all hipstery, start throwing Northman like me and Binky.

And check out Caamp.

Pick up a Star Sidewinder. They actually fly like a Sidewinder. Unlike a lot of champ ones.

I went out to the course yesterday, it was windy, so anyway it got me thinking about these two molds (both are going to be the primary off the tee), the champion assuming it won't turn would be preferred. From reviews on this site I am guessing a champ sidewinder flies like a 9/4/-2/1.5 cause that's what I am after. Maybe someone can speak for the star but wouldn't it show -3?

Man you just never know.

I've got a 163g Gstar sidewinder that flies 9/5/-2.5/1. Been trying to find a replacement for that.
So I bought a 163g Star sidewinder but it flies 9/4/-.5/2.
Then I bought a 173 Gstar sidewinder but it flies 9/4/0/3.

It can be expensive and time consuming finding a disc that flies just right.

I went out to the course yesterday, it was windy, so anyway it got me thinking about these two molds (both are going to be the primary off the tee), the champion assuming it won't turn would be preferred. From reviews on this site I am guessing a champ sidewinder flies like a 9/4/-2/1.5 cause that's what I am after. Maybe someone can speak for the star but wouldn't it show -3?

That's really tough.

1) Inconsistencies disc to disc.
2) Discs flies different for every arm.
3) Different people are going to have different perceptions of what a flight number should be. For example, both the Teebird and the Explorer are 7/5/0/2. I have a Champ Teebird, an Opto Explorer, and a couple of DX Teebirds in different weights. All of them give me a different flight. Which flight is the true 7/5/0/2?

That's really tough.

1) Inconsistencies disc to disc.
2) Discs flies different for every arm.
3) Different people are going to have different perceptions of what a flight number should be. For example, both the Teebird and the Explorer are 7/5/0/2. I have a Champ Teebird, an Opto Explorer, and a couple of DX Teebirds in different weights. All of them give me a different flight. Which flight is the true 7/5/0/2?

Yeah I've noticed my 0s and 2s are different from others. So I guess you gotta go with your gut or at least experiment to get the answer. All summer I had that option, but then I was hit with this roadblock due to the plastic shortage :wall:

Yeah I've noticed my 0s and 2s are different from others. So I guess you gotta go with your gut or at least experiment to get the answer. All summer I had that option, but then I was hit with this roadblock due to the plastic shortage :wall:

I've got 100s of discs I've hand picked new from the shop thinking I'd know what they do or they would fly perfect. Some did, some didn't, but let me share a little secret with you. Some of my best discs that make it into my bag are random discs I've found on the course without names or discs that friends have given me (stuff I'd never pick on my own). The moral of the story is that sometimes a lot of the magic of a disc is the circumstance in which you get it. If you truly like a disc you'll keep using it even when it doesn't have the perfect flight. 90% of disc golf is the mental game. When you work with your discs long enough and believe in their flight characteristics (understable, stable, overstable) you'll be able to make most anything work.

The optimal quest should be the perfect throw, not the perfect disc. :D

While things have been difficult to locate from time to time during this Covid mess, I have pretty much been able to find what I need/want.

I do buy the vast majority of my discs online and used to really only order from one or two vendors. With the stock at those places being hit or miss I have had to expand my horizons and order from several places that I hadn't used before.

I'm kind of glad I had to branch out and try new sources because I've found several stores with excellent selection, service, and prices that I might not have discovered otherwise.

Similar but different, there is always the Roadrunner *meep meep*

I do understand the feeling. I bought a grid Aviar in the summer and fell in love with it and decided that was my putter and wanted a stack of them. I was picky about getting them in max weight and it took me about 6 weeks and ordering from 5 different places to get 6 of them. Now I'd like a putter that is a little less slick for cooler weather and can't find any of the options I want. I also had a Z Heat as a staple in my bag and lost it and can't seem to find a replacement anywhere.

I also had a Z Heat as a staple in my bag and lost it and can't seem to find a replacement anywhere.

Those do seem to be difficult to find at the moment. I find a few ESP here and there but I could only find five in the Z plastic looking through about six sites I have ordered from.

The ones I found have a custom Andrew Presnell stamp so they're $20.

Maybe the economics are such that having a few manufacturers make most of the discs on the market no longer makes sense.

Granted, Discraft manufacturers its own discs and simply fell behind due to mandated closure.

Not sure we should draw many conclusions from 2020.

Maybe the economics are such that having a few manufacturers make most of the discs on the market no longer makes sense.

Granted, Discraft manufacturers its own discs and simply fell behind due to mandated closure.

Not sure we should draw many conclusions from 2020.

There were massive supply chain disruptions as well. The injection molding place I used to work at was having a hard time sourcing some of its raw material too. The suppliers of materials were hit just as hard. Some of those suppliers also switched production to ramp up other polymers used for a lot of medical supplies, leaving other stuff lacking. Combine that with the discs manufacturers own problems staying running during covid-19, plus the skyrocketing demand, it was a perfect storm.

This is pretty frustrating. I have wanted 2 discs since summer and they have been OOS for months. My gut feels like I'm held back with the lack of these throws. This slump really sucks

When I'm buying I like to keep my options open. I like my Under(wear)taker but I also know a Thunderbird or Saint would fill the slot just as well. Know which discs are similar from different manufacturers might help you get the flight you are looking for.

Similar to the Sidewinder:
Discraft - Heat
Legacy - Mongoose
Discmania - TDx

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/flightguide
combined with
https://flightcharts.dgputtheads.com/discgolfplastics.html

Can help you find an alternate until Innova can make you a Sidewinder.

It isn't always perfect though. I bought a Plasma Tesla thinking it would be a straight flyer but its more OS than my firebird!