• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Hatchet vs Maul

I'd say the Maul has a touch more glide but is definitely slower. They both cover a ton of ground for their respective speed classes, but the Hatchet is going to outdistance the Maul.

Threw a VIP Hatchet for the first time yesterday and was surprised how flippy it is. Bought it to replace a seasoned Opto Saint I lost but it is way more understable. I can't imagine bagging both the Hatchet and Maul; they're pretty close. Hatchet for power hyzer flips and Maul for shorter finesse floaty turnovers, maybe.

Onemile pretty much has it right. The Maul is easier to flip to flat for a slower arm. Laser beam hyzer flips to a flat finish are more easily achieved with the Maul at a lower power requirement. Raw distance potential goes to the hatchet. The hatchet at higher speeds will still fly on massive S curves and still fight back at the end whereas there is not quite as much fight back in the Maul. The Maul is closer to a slightly understable River.

I have bagged both hatchet and maul for this summer. Maul is slower and a little more hss and less fade. However hatchet will go big distance on hyzer flips. Tho i never got my hatchet to flip to flat and stay there. It allways turnover for me.

Mauls are great for splitting wood, especially if you get the wood through course cleanup.
I once split my ankle open pretty good with a hatchet.
I've improved my technique since then but I'll stick with a maul.

When's westside comin out with a machete?

It depends on what you are fighting. The hatchet, as a bladed weapon, is great for removing limbs from soft targets and doing damage to tissue. The maul, a blunt weapon, is good for breaking bones and mangling armor. It is all pertinent to what kind of opponent you are battling, but both are good choices. I personally gravitate towards the warhammer and bastard sword, though.

I've thrown both and get similar distance out of both - a little more from the Hatchet but it's close. The Hatchet has a touch more speed and the Maul has a bit more glide but again close on both. Stability depends on plastic. From most stable to least of the ones I throw: Elasto Hatchet>Opto Maul>Tournament Hatchet.