• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Headed to Reno by way of San Diego/Los Angelas/Sacremento

MoonT4

Birdie Member
Starting to plan my annual trip to the National Bowling Tournament and want to hit a few courses I have played in the past along with some new ones. I can head out of Austin and be in Marana (just past Tucson) in 12-14 hours for the first leg of the trip. In the past we played Marana Rock then headed to Vegas and played a course their the following morning prior to heading on to Reno. This year, we are thinking of heading down to San Diego hitting a course their maybe stay a day or two take in some sites and then heading toward LA area hitting a course or two in that area then on to Sacremento before heading on in to Reno.

In Reno area, I have played several courses and will no doubt play a few of those again. Need some advice and possible guides in the San Diego/LA/Sacremento scenes. Any info would be great.

We are leaving Austin, on or about April 25th and have to be in Reno by April 30th. In between those times I can determine how long to stay in any given area to accomodate a guides schedule if needed, but advice on particular course/s would be great. At this time I am just looking things over and trying to come up with a good itinerary for the trip.

It sounds like you are taking the 5 from LA to Sacramento. Don't do it. It's a long boring drive with very little golf on the way. Take the 101 instead and hit Coyote Point (and possibly Waller and Heilmann, though they're less essential) on the way north. You can cut back over to the 5 at Paso Robles if you need to.

In LA, I would suggest La Mirada if it's a weekday. Oak Grove and Sylmar if it's a weekend.

Or you could just skip all the Socal BS and go straight to Delaveaga.

Play up in Tahoe if you are going to be traveling through that area.

This. I can show you around Tahoe. I would take the 99 and not the 5 when you get over the grapevine. Visalia has 2 courses on one site. The Perry outback course is great. Better golf along the 99 than the 5. Due to the weak winter in Norcal all Tahoe courses except Squaw and Kirkwood are 95-100% snow free and open for play as of now. Forcast seems like it's going to stay that way. If you want up to date course conditions shoot me a pm.

I have been out their several times. Elevated Plastic, I was supposed to hook up with you the last two times but things came up and you were unable to make it. I have played courses all around Tahoe and 2 of the valley courses (Penn and Grass). Sierra College, Turtle Rock, Zephyr Cove, Bijou, Truckee, and I forget the other ones on the north shore area. Would be great to throw some plastic with you this year.

A few courses in the Sacramento area to check out are: Orangevale ( solid course, but can get very busy after 1000), Rocklin (nice, but not imaginative. long, but it's just a hyzer heaven course) Auburn (one of my favorites. Last few holes are hard to navigate), Grass Valley (another solid course), Penn Valley (OK, but kind of blah)
You could package Auburn and Grass Valley together and then take hwy 20 up to I 80 ( been awhile, but it connects around Blue Canyon?)
Have a great time!

A few courses in the Sacramento area to check out are: Orangevale ( solid course, but can get very busy after 1000), Rocklin (nice, but not imaginative. long, but it's just a hyzer heaven course) Auburn (one of my favorites. Last few holes are hard to navigate), Grass Valley (another solid course), Penn Valley (OK, but kind of blah)
You could package Auburn and Grass Valley together and then take hwy 20 up to I 80 ( been awhile, but it connects around Blue Canyon?)
Have a great time!

Thanks for the input. I am kind of anal in planning and don't like to just run on the fly so to speak. I will probably end up tweaking this trip several more times before it gets here. Will definately look into your suggestions.

Making an adjustment to my trip this year. Heading north to Kansas (11 hours on the road) to HAYS, KS and gonna play http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1294 Frontier Park then head down I 70 to Moab, UT another (10 hour truck) to play http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2774 Base Camp Adventure Lodge DGC before heading on into Reno the following day.

Figure to be in Kansas Saturday evening so if anyone wants to join for a round either Saturday eveing or Sunday morning hit me up and I can exchange cell numbers. Then headed to Moab and should be their Sunday evening to play then or Monday morning. Same offer for both courses if anyone is availalbe and wants to join for a round hit me up.

Last edited:
Have fun at Moab. Such a fun adventure getting there. Tahoe courses are in great shape right now. If you need any info or a guide hit me up.

Have fun at Moab. Such a fun adventure getting there. Tahoe courses are in great shape right now. If you need any info or a guide hit me up.

Is Moab not worth the stop?

Would enjoy getting together with you for a round or two. We will be in Reno Wednesday afternoon sometime April 30th, bowling the eveing of the 1st and morning of the 2nd of May then golf the rest of the day and on Saturday also. Let me know your schedule and when your available to play.

Moab is worth the trip. It's very unique and beautiful. There's some super fun holes, but in all the experience makes it all worth wild. As far as being around that weekend I have nothing planned. As long as i'm around i'd be glad to show you around.

Living in the Sacramento area, I would suggest coming up 99 and hitting Micke Grove Park in Lodi. Get back on the road and hit up either Shady Oaks in Orangevale or Rocklin Park (in Rocklin). You can then take 80 up to Reno. If you have time, I would also throw in a trip to North Tahoe Regional Park (in King's Beach). You can then come back out through Truckee and head to Reno. There is always the option of playing The Ranch (in Reno) or taking a trip out to Dayton and playing the course up there. So many places you can go if you have the time in your schedule.

Living in the Sacramento area, I would suggest coming up 99 and hitting Micke Grove Park in Lodi. Get back on the road and hit up either Shady Oaks in Orangevale or Rocklin Park (in Rocklin). You can then take 80 up to Reno. If you have time, I would also throw in a trip to North Tahoe Regional Park (in King's Beach). You can then come back out through Truckee and head to Reno. There is always the option of playing The Ranch (in Reno) or taking a trip out to Dayton and playing the course up there. So many places you can go if you have the time in your schedule.

Thanks, have to say, Shady Oaks in Orangevale was one I was looking at. North Tahoe Regional Park, and Truckee I have played before along with Sierra College, Biijou and Zephyr. Dayton we played last year, and then their is also Turtle Rock all great courses. Going to hit some already played courses again along with as many new ones as possible. We have made an adjustment to our trip, and will be headed North to Kansas then across Utah and on into Reno then when we leave going towards the west coast to San Diego before heading back to Texas. If youre around and are interested in showing us your local course that would be great. If not, thanks for the advice and choices.

It will depend when you are headed back this way. I usually take weekend trips with the family to courses within a day drive. My wife and 10 year old son have taken to this sport just as I have. If you are around on a weekday, after 5:30pm, I would be available for a round at Rocklin (my home course). I would love to show you around and get a round in as well.

It will depend when you are headed back this way. I usually take weekend trips with the family to courses within a day drive. My wife and 10 year old son have taken to this sport just as I have. If you are around on a weekday, after 5:30pm, I would be available for a round at Rocklin (my home course). I would love to show you around and get a round in as well.

Sounds good, I will shoot you a message when I find out what time we are headed out of Reno as we may stay through the weekend.

I might be able to guide you around some of the San Diego courses, when will you be here?

I might be able to guide you around some of the San Diego courses, when will you be here?

I am thinking sometime around Sunday evening or Monday, depending on how long we stay in Reno.

Back in the late 80's early 90's when I lived in San Diego, I wasn't into disc golf. I used to live in IB.

I won't be around Sunday, but I can set aside Monday. I'm about an hour north of San Diego, but I know all the area courses pretty well. Morley, Brengle, Kit Carson and Mountain Pride (up here in Temecula area) are the ones most worth your time.

Final countdown. Leaving on Saturday morning will be in Hays, KS by late afternoon early evening.