• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heatseeker's Bag

Heatseeker

I think my bag is pretty solid (and thus I haven't really changed it for last 2-3 years). What do you guys think?

For distance: Pro Wraith (x2) (175g)

Hyzer/headwind distance: Star Destroyer (x2) (175g)

For fairway control/anhyzers: Champion and Star Valkyrie (175g and 166g)

For windy fairway/hyzer shots: dx Banshee (150g)

All around disc for short drives and long upshots: d-line Gremlin (x2) (175g)

As above, but shorter: dx Classic Roc (x2) (175g)

Main upshot disc: Super Soft Wizard (x2) (175g)

For putting: Omega SS (x2) (175g)

Utility: Demon (175g) and Speed Demon (175g)

And then some other discs I carry but don't use that often:
dx Whippetn (150g)
Rhyno (175g)
Westside King (170g) (won this on draw couple weeks ago and haven't thrown it yet)

I'd dump the Classic Rocs (overlab a bit with the Wiz), and add the Whippet (better disc than the Demon) and the Speed Demon (You need a meathook)

I like Classic Rocs because they are more overstable than Wizards (though my wizs are Ice Bowl stamped from 2008 so they are somewhat beaten and fly straight as arrow; that's why I like them) and handle the wind better. And I can't throw as good hyzer shots with Wizard as I do with Classic Roc.

Speed Demon as meathook disc is awesome. And I can throw some sick OAT s-lines both backhand and forehand. Found that very useful on several occasions.

(added weights on first post)

what plastic is your demon in? the s demon and the whippet would overlap alot. the e demon is shorter.

It's Evolution pro-line. I used to have couple DT Speed Demons with non-bright plastic, but I managed to sunk them both in a pond. In general Demons are rather difficult to find from Finland so you pretty much gotta use what you may be able to find.

If I use my whippet, it's usually when there risk of throwing it in the water. Other than that I prefer Speed Demon.

Soo, my bag hasn't really changed during the season. My main arsenal consist of following set:

2 Omega Supersofts for putting
2 beaten SS Wizards for putter drives
2 ClassicRocs for all around aproach/short drives discs
1 Demon as a meathook midrange
2 D-line Gremlins for slightly longer drives
2 Valkyries (champion and star) as a understable drivers
2 Pro wraiths as a stable/straight drivers
2 Star Destroyers as a overstable drivers
1 Speed Demon for overhands, thumbers, OAT-throws etc.

Now I am thinking about filling the gap between Gremlins and my distance drivers. Any suggestions? I have been thinking about Trak because I am really curious about the material. What do you guys think?

Planning to update my driver section a bit. Lost my beaten star destroyer and I realized I don't have much love for non-beaten star destroyers. Also had pro wraith for long rips but it didn't get much use. I also don't have any fast and overstable disc. So, I ordered Cannon and Rampage for test. I hope to Cannon to be the disc for those long rips and Rampage to fill my overstable discs needs.

I also had some nice rips with gateway slayer (probably even better than I usually got with my beaten destroyer) so that is my backup if cannon doesn't work for me.

I am also looking for stabler complement for vibram trak for my fairway needs. Currently testing teebird, striker and wildcat. I like feel of vibrams so ascent could be possibility. I also have couple valkyries for longer throws.

Any thoughts?

The Ascent certainly qualifies. And it is pretty grippy after washing in the wet and cold weather. The Slayer should be good.

Trak is absolutely amazing disc but it's not stable enough for some shots. Tested and liked TeeBird but I prefer the Vibram compound so Ascent it is.

As for fast stuff, first impression with Cannon and Rampage was good. Felt that I got the same distance tad easier than with Destroyer. Also noticed the inconsistency in plastic colours and flights, but I don't see this as a big problem as there is info available if you dig in a bit. My yellow Icon Cannon is very stable, and actually lot stabler than my Gray Pinnacle Rampage. Rampage flies bit like seasoned Destroyer (just much faster) and Cannon turns a little bit but always fades back, even in headwind. So to me they work the opposite I got them for. Might need to stack more of these and find different colours so I got all bases covered stability wise. Like the feel of the discs and darn if they don't look sweet.

And in between fairway and distance I got Champion Valkyries, but I am open to find something bit more stable as my workhorse driver.

My Rampage in the hardest plastic broke in super quickly and the Cannon i had started out equal to the Rampage. I heard some others has those too understable Cannons too and if i recall correctly that problem was mainly with early examples. I had too poor performance to buy more before i hear enough data. I'm not too keen on a Cannon but maybe there could be room for a Rampage. Although i'm a bit skeptical because i might not have enough power for it for consistency. Sure i got good s-curves in field practice when i was fully warmed up and loose but stiff and on a round with others playing slower only having a throw now and then bye bye consistency. And it doesn't want to lock to flat any more or to an exact anny either. Mostly crashing too hard annied from a steeper hyzer than i prefer. I want to like them but have been bitten too hard.

The obvious answer to a more overstable Valk is the disc that was designed to be that and a little faster -Beast. If you want even more overstability Star SL.

About to start season 2013.

Got some nice use of Trak (medium) and Ascent (medium) during late fall and wouldn't give them up. Didn't really push them but holes up to 380 feet are reachable and workable on many different lines. Now I wonder how I got along so long without fairway drivers.

As far as other drivers go, I am happy with my beat Valkyrie (champion) for finesse and turnover shots, and Rampage (pinnacle) and Cannon (icon) for longer shots. Speed Demon (evolution) for some serious winds and get out of shots (flex and overhand shots).

Mid section has now Gremlin (d-line), couple of Obex (firm and medium) and pair of Classic Roc (dx) which is still best all around disc ever made. Only been outing Obex once but it pretty much did what I expected. Something that can be thrown hard without needing to worry it going right. Also got Base plastic Demon for some specialty shots and serious winds.

Putter section consists of Vibram. Summit (med and soft), Ridge (med and firm) and VP (med and soft). Haven't been able to use them on field yet but they work nicely for putt and approaches. Easier get down when needed than Pure's were. Most likely not as long for driving but I use Classic Roc almost exclusive for short drives anyway. Soft x-link seems to be useful when you have to park up in hilly green or something.

Will try and see how this setup will do. I'm feeling pretty confident. Although I might simplify my bag a little bit in future.
- Considering dropping Cannons as Rampages in different colours/plastics seem to cover pretty wide stability range.
- Also thinking of dropping Gremlin if firm Obex beats into submission some day and becomes unstable.
- Might drop Speed Demon if I happen to come up with some seriously OS Rampage (is there even any?) that wouldn't turn over in any wind.

I'd rather not add a new mold as i'm happy with Speed Demon. But if I were to find stupidly beefy Rampage, I woudn't necessarily need Speed Demon and could simplify my bag to fewer molds. Not that it matters much as in the end it all comes down to knowing your discs and how they perform.

Good luck in finding beefy Rampages. IDK if they even exist. Maybe some prime plastic Cannons could pull it off.

Isn't Rampage supposed to be more OS of those two?

I have pair of yellow Icon Cannons and they are more OS than my black Pinnacle Rampages. I tried those Cannons for strong gusty headwind and they flipped over and never came back. I threw re-tee with Speed Demon and it had minimal turn and big fade and landed in middle of the fairway. On normal conditions (light headwind) Cannon always manage to fade back. My black Rampages on the other hand are great for golf distance lines, they make a nice S-turn and have nice forward penetrating fade. I also have one pearly white Pinnacle Rampage, but haven't been able to test it. Have to wait until the snow melts but I have hopes that it would be more OS than my Cannons and be somewhere between them and Speed Demon.

I don't have relevant experience because mine wore in super fast and some early ones of other players too flew almost the same despite a different name. I cannot say what the real situation is sorry.

Latest posts