• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Help Choosing First OS Fairway

Right now I'm weighing between Teebird, Stag, and Vibram Arch. I throw LHBH and I'm lucky to get 300' out of my throws if I'm being honest. I have some OS discs but they are faster speeds and I can't throw them very far. I'm open to what ever brands..
You want an OS disc but you want to throw it far? That's kind of a contradiction. OS is for lines that can't turnover (i.e. hole has OB right), headwinds, ranging (i.e. precise landings, not gliding wildly around), OH, some rollers, exaggerated flex lines, etc. They're not really made for distance but for getting to the ground quickly and predictably.

If your Valk and Orc are hard faders for you, you definitely don't need anything as fast as a Stag (although the stability would be decent for your arm). The Arch is OOP like others said. The Teebird is about as fast a driver as you should be throwing much but it isn't really a terribly OS disc. With some form work you could outgrow the TB as your OS driver pretty quick. The DX Teebird is a classic and will bomb (same for the Eagle-X). I'd get either one of those or a light Star Teebird/Eagle but there are a lot of good drivers in this ballpark now.

If you really want an OS that's properly OS for learning all those shots I listed above, I'd go Banshee (the domey ones suck but for you probably still fine), Resistor (like a Banshee but flatter and zippier), Trident (limited production), XXX (very OS, especially flat ones), and maybe the Spark or F1 (no experience). The older but still goody classics like Viper (wider diameter like a mid) or Whippet are great too (MOAB is a Viper variant, very OS). The Bard and Harp are probably as much beef as you need for the most part but even a slow driver does fight the wind better than a slower disc will.

I was recently in your shoes, WestsideTony. On the neverending search for an OS disc that would fly as far as my US discs. Unfortunately that's just not the way physics works, so you're probably stuck choosing between a disc that can handle headwinds and place reliably (OS), and one that will get you that extra 30 feet of distance (US). There's a lot of good recommendations in this thread already, but I'd like to give a few caveats to some of the suggestions above:

-Convict: this disc does NOT like headwinds and does NOT handle OAT very well. So if you're wanting an OS disc because you're flipping your current ones, whether the reason be wind or OAT, you're not going to like the Convict. What it is good at is giving you a more reliable fade than most understable fairways will. So if that's what you want, then by all means buy a Convict. Just thought I'd tip you off that it was not the disc I thought it would be when I bought one.

-Teebird: great suggestion by many in this thread. I'd modify that slightly though, and say go with the Teebird3 rather than regular Teebird. A flatter one will fight the wind just a touch better, which I'm assuming is a feature you're looking for.

-Use your existing discs: If what you want is to be able to bend around doglegs a little better, I'd suggest working angles with a neutral fairway rather than an OS one. That was a tip that blew my mind when I found it, but you can actually get a neutral-to-US disc to finish further left than an OS one...crazy, right? The trick is to give the neutral disc some extra hyzer release and extra elevation on your throw. Due to the glide of an understable or neutral disc, it will have more time in the air than an OS disc. That extra time in the air, combined with the hyzer release, will enable it to finish further left than if you chucked something like a Firebird that just wants to get to the ground in a hurry.

So, in summary: if you want a better wind fighter get a Teebird3. If you want to be able to finish further left then work your release angles with the fairways you already bag. EDIT: just saw you throw lefty, so reverse all of my references to left or right.

If wanting TRUE OS I'll suggest something different - MVP Resistor . Its OS but still very workable. wont overlap with the stable discs too much - it has a bite but you can work the first 50% of flight easily

I wish someone had told me to stay away from too much stability in the beginning. Grab an FD, if you have to go OS grab a TL it'll behave like a TB at your power learn your angles with the underworld and an FD and you'll be set.

Its all a progression of learning. As a new player you don't know a ton about discs and will basically throw anything you can get your hands on. Way before Innova started putting flight numbers on discs I happened across a champion Monster. I figured it would be something like the Orc I was already familiar with. NOOOOPPPPEEEE. Most overstable thing I've ever seen, even to this day.

Eventually through trial and error a new player will figure out which discs work and which don't. Personally I think a Teebird at 300' power won't be overly useful. It won't fly flat and it won't glide. I'd just use the Orc for overstable shots at that range. If you really want a similar flight to the Orc but in a fairway driver I guess the Teebird would work. At 300' it'll definitely feel beefy.

IMO the Convict is actually a good suggestion. At 300' you probably won't see any high speed turn out it. The Convict will probably fly further and glide better than a Teebird. As you progress up to 350'+ you'll notice the Convict turning over. As mentioned it isn't a good headwind driver at that distance. At 300' though I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies thus far. I do have a bard that I could work on getting more distance out of it before trying to get a faster disc. But there's still that itch to buy a new disc just for the fun of it. I like the exodus suggestion.
Would a river pro be advisable? I don't see much content about it

I'd roll with throwing the Bard on most of your typically stable to OS shots, and pick up a Firebird for true OS trick shots. Just roll with maybe a star FB in the 160s and you're good.

Sure, nobody with beginner level power can fully utilize a truly OS disc, but anyone can start practicing trick shots like little forehand flex lines around trees, FH rollers, thumbers, etc and not worry about impeding their backhand distance/accuracy progress.

I would roll with a star teebird in the 160s if you want something overstable to throw.

Seeing that you like Westside, they have some really nice OS fairway drivers. Longbowman is not too fast, and Fotress would be a little fater, but they fear no OAT nor headwind. Both great molds.

.Use your existing discs: If what you want is to be able to bend around doglegs a little better, I'd suggest working angles with a neutral fairway rather than an OS one. That was a tip that blew my mind when I found it, but you can actually get a neutral-to-US disc to finish further left than an OS one...crazy, right? The trick is to give the neutral disc some extra hyzer release and extra elevation on your throw. Due to the glide of an understable or neutral disc, it will have more time in the air than an OS disc.[/U][/B]

This big time. A leopard thrown properly will carry farther left than a banshee, discounting some kind of monster skip. Once that neutral-US disc flips up from the hyzer a little it's going to ride left. The magic shot is getting it to keep flipping as it's going left. If you can get one to do that it can go really far left.