• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! Grip question with pictures

Nightwalk25

I have been playing Disc golf since around September 18th 2012. I'm completely hooked on the sport beyond belief and I play an average of 4 rounds a week even during the winter months. Past few weekends ive been playing 8-10 games a weekend (Friday, Saturday , Sunday) I'm going to keep this as short as I can without writing a book, but I need some serious help with my grip.

When I first started playing I used this grip below
IjIHGuz.jpg

I got pretty decent throwing this way , I could do a lot of shots other than anhyzer shots (started throwing my leopard hard enough it wasn't a problem was a nice turn over disc). So in my quest to start making myself better at disc golf I went to this next grip after everyone told me that I was losing a ton of power with that grip.

rumPEwx.jpg

So this grip has improved my game a lot on shot control and I have gained some distance sort of. I have found with this grip I can hyzer flip a 165g underworld 335' average (382' max) (confirmed distance based off 40 throws). This is also standing still. I don't have ANY control taking a step yet so I figure after I fix my grip and fix my and clean my finish form up ill add that.

So anyways if you notice this is sitting right where your fingers start not in my palm. The problem this is causing me is my index finger unless its on like a 4-5 speed disc cant sit in the inside of the rim its basically sitting on the bottom side of the rim. The reason for me wanting to change grips again is I feel like learning the right way is more important for later and I find that I get disc slipping out of my hands every 20 throws or so its really annoying. I also feel like this is causing my to lose snap as my faster drivers (9 or so) are just horrid now and don't go that far at all. I throw my UW farther than anything right now.

The obvious answer is go to the power grip its only moving the disc down a little right. Well I was at home today messing around with it and holy cow I'm not sure what im doing wrong here but there's no way its going to work. Maybe its because I have small hands ? Holding the disc comfortably ... well the pictures will explain it all

(standard power grip)

(My modified power grip)

(old grip with my finger on the rim)

You can see that the release on this is going to be huge hyzer for me which isn't going to work obviously. I might as well stock my entire bag with Pures, Rocs, Buzzs because im never turning over a disc faster than that lol.

Now that ive wrote a book anyways. I hope someone will let me know what their thoughts are on what to do. I have access to any disc you can imagine so thats not a problem. Currently I shoot about 3-5 over at a very wooded course where the 2015 PDGA AM event is going to be (Oshtemo Park) and I shoot 0 to -8 (best round) at air zoo (Portage Michigan) my average there according to my app is -3 last 20 rounds.

P.S. I hope these pictures work

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh I really hate that 5 min edit rule. Sorry for the huge pictures. The first 2 were fine, not sure why the other 3 got messed up. Anyways I resized them

sox4f2N.jpg

(Standard Power Grip)

NI7lFhn.jpg

(My Modified power)

TxJjz9v.jpg

(old grip with finger on the rim)

I have been playing disc golf for a little while but only until recently have figured out how to throw properly. It's definitely the most important part of the game and it takes a lot of practice. Grip and stance are everything.

I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but I will say that the power grip is definitely what you want to do. What I did was play around with it a little bit to see how you can get it comfortably in your hand/fingers. I found that even a slight tweak can make a huge difference in the effectiveness of your throw and technique.

It is important to get your finger pads on the inside rim of the disc. I have taken to fitting the disc in the crease of your hand and fingers, and making sure your grip is comfortable yet strong so your disc is not flopping around in your hand. I even tend to put a bit more pressure on my index finger's grip to add strength and direction to my shot. Keep your thumb in line as it naturally sits with your grip. Don't squeeze your thumb flat on the disc, just let it grip regularly. Also you only want to fan a finger or fingers when you are doing a control shot with less distance.

The disc is too low in your hand. Stick the disc in the crease of your hand and close your hand around it.

The disc is too low in your hand. Stick the disc in the crease of your hand and close your hand around it.

The problem I have is how do I counteract the huge hyzer that it sits in my hand at ? If you look at the first picture in my 2nd post its like honestly so much id have to throw -3 -4 discs or like 5 speed discs I could overpower to get them to flatten out and go straight

Latest posts