• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with wind rounds.

westdisc91

Bogey Member
Hey guy so with winter means windy conditions here in north California. So how do you guys throw in head winds. I throw down and the wind seem to just lift it up. Any advice? I don't have any overstable drivers I have some overstable mids. I am going to buy a nuke os or something overstable from discraft.

Do you throw a power forehand or throw a backhand over 400ft? If not, DO NOT get a NukeOS, unless you can get one that is already beat up. That disc is so fast and overstable, that it is pretty much useless for the majority of disc golfers. If discraft is your brand of choice, try a Predator, Z Force or Machete.

How far do you throw?

Have to keep the nose down. If you don't, it doesn't matter what you throw, the wind is going to lift it up. And don't try to throw so hard into a head wind. The disc already acts like it's flying faster.

At 300ft, you're not going to gain anything with a high speed disc. Into a good head wind, it's about control more than distance, so, You're probably not going to like what I suggest, but;

Max Weight Champion or Star;
Eagle
Thunderbird
Teebird

For headwinds, I think increasing speed is more important than getting something overstable. I've got a nice beefy Z Nuke that is plenty overstable for 20mph headwinds (and 20mph is pretty darn fast for a wind). I echo the DON'T GET A NUKE OS! sentiment. I can throw 350-400' forehands and my Z Nuke OS still laughs at me even with a 20mph headwind.

A Z or ESP Surge is pretty sweet in slightly slower headwinds as well. Beefy enough not to flip, but to get a little turn. For me, I like it better for backhand headwind shots.

All that said, it's hard to go wrong with a good ol' Champ Firebird, with a good speed/beef combination. Maybe a Machete or Punisher since you're into Discraft? I haven't thrown either.

With your "disc lifting" problem, that's a nose angle issue, not a wind issue. A headwind just makes anything nose up look really, really bad.

Last edited:
Or a Predator, Z Force or Machete, as suggested below, if you want to stick with Discraft. Overstable mids are deeper dished and are more susceptible to wind. Big Z or Z Crank could also be good choices and my suggestion for your power.

First rule in the wind is to avoid exposing the bottom of the flight plate to the wind, once it catches the bottom the wind is in control. Then try and throw the straightest flattest shot you can to avoid exposing the bottom to the wind but take into account wind direction and compensate accordingly. If it is a left to right cross headwind throw nose down, flat and aim left of your target and wait for the wind to bring it back. If you are RHBH and you throw a little hyzer the wind pressure on the top of the flight plate will drive the disc down to the ground so throw a little higher. If you throw it with anhyzer it's going way right so you would be better to throw a forehand flat and wait.

If you throw a Nuke already consider a Z plastic heavier weight, my second recommendation would be an ESP Force (coming soon to a basket far far away) haha, the Z Force is super beefy, too beefy. I like me some Surges but I'm not as familiar with Discraft as I used to be.

Lastly don't discount the value of a lower weight Firebird I read a few discussions about how it is a truly stable disc not a speed stable disc. I have a 165 Pro (old champion) and it is freaking awesome I wish I had put it in the bag sooner but I was busy with high speed, new technology crap. It fills a utility role, windy days, straight to gotta fade, and thumb hammers.

Last edited:
sounds like your a noob. the best disc selection will not trump improvement in technique. go to the field learn how different angles affect the flight of the disc both in the wind and calm.

sounds like your a noob. the best disc selection will not trump improvement in technique. go to the field learn how different angles affect the flight of the disc both in the wind and calm.

Sounds like you are a snob mr smoot. So the OP is just out of luck until he gets better? Sheesh. The truth is there are a number of things you can do right now help yourself in the wind. Keep the disc as low as possible. Overstable mids and fairways can be your friend such as gators, drones, wasps, eagles, teebirds etc. Don't expose the flightplate to the wind. Putt hard at the base of the basket if you have to lay up. Tail winds tend to push your disc down so use something more understable. Head winds tend to push your disc up so disc up to something more overstable. And yes, practice on windy days so you get the experience on what to expect certain disc types will do in the wind.

nose angle control is paramount in the wind, especially head winds when you have to throw at all uphill. Try to match the nose angle to whatever slope and release slight hyzer so the disc flips to flat with the head wind forcing the full flight of the disc. It will take some practice to find the best disc choice depending on the wind speed and slope, but once you get the hang of it you will see that you can get pretty consistent results.

Sounds like you are a snob mr smoot. So the OP is just out of luck until he gets better? Sheesh. The truth is there are a number of things you can do right now help yourself in the wind. Keep the disc as low as possible. Overstable mids and fairways can be your friend such as gators, drones, wasps, eagles, teebirds etc. Don't expose the flightplate to the wind. Putt hard at the base of the basket if you have to lay up. Tail winds tend to push your disc down so use something more understable. Head winds tend to push your disc up so disc up to something more overstable. And yes, practice on windy days so you get the experience on what to expect certain disc types will do in the wind.

Thank you I am hoping to get a zone or wasp soon

I know you're into Discraft, and they make awesome discs; however, all of the advice about getting an Eagle is solid. They are great for wind, and many other situations. Rocs are excellent wind warriors, too.

What are you throwing now that's getting beat up by the wind? The advice people have given about nose angle will help a lot, Disc selection helps, too. With 300 feet of power and an affinity for Discraft the Undertaker is what you're looking for. Speed 9 overstable fairway/control driver.

Predator is a good disc for your situation, too, but I recommend holding one first before buying if you can. Some players dislike the feel of the predator. Rim has a noticeable lip on it.

I personally love the Machete. It'll hold up in he wind, but the more stable ones will fall towards Nuke OS territory but slower: laughably overstable.

Keep that disc flat and keep practicing! Learning to play in he wind will help your game develop!

I recommend staying away from larger diameter mids in headwinds since the bottom of the flight plate has a larger surface area and is more susceptible to getting kicked around even if it is OS. Zone is a good choice for sure.