• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hey hey ho ho round ratings have got to GO!

This is called "testing the waters". A complete split away from the PDGA has been in the cards for a long while. It only makes sense, the PDGA is clearly more aligned with a USGA amateur org vs a PGA pro org.

I've always wondered what would be improved by splitting up. Different rule book? Different equipment? Less money?

I've always wondered what would be improved by splitting up. Different rule book? Different equipment? Less money?

Eliminate the PDGA tech requirements. If I were a major disc brand I would absolutely start my own tour and only allow my discs to be used on that tour. It would significantly cut down your talent base in the first year but if your payouts were the best in town everyone would flock to your banner. A well planned and executed brand sponsored tour could effectively win 90% of the disc sales in one fell swoop.

Eliminate the PDGA tech requirements. If I were a major disc brand I would absolutely start my own tour and only allow my discs to be used on that tour. It would significantly cut down your talent base in the first year but if your payouts were the best in town everyone would flock to your banner. A well planned and executed brand sponsored tour could effectively win 90% of the disc sales in one fell swoop.

You're delusional.

Next you'll be suggesting Hooter girls and ESPN3 coverage.

You would have no other top pros playing your tour then.

They make too much from their competing manufacturer contracts.

Plus no disc golf company has the liquid assets to make that happen on their own.

And there's also nothing stopping a company from doing that right now, except logic.

In one fell swoosh?

If an actually big company decided to get behind disc golf and throw tens of millions of dollars at engineering, production, and tournaments, they could dominate. If some company swooshes in and starts hosting tournaments with a couple million dollars of added cash for each tournament, their own rulebook, and their own standards, they could take over the world of disc golf and drive the rest of us out of business. Or at the very least completely own the professional scene.

It's possible, but who's gonna do it? Do they want to reinvent the wheel or do they just want to make some discs and host some tournaments within the existing framework?

In one fell swoosh?

If an actually big company decided to get behind disc golf and throw tens of millions of dollars at engineering, production, and tournaments, they could dominate. If some company swooshes in and starts hosting tournaments with a couple million dollars of added cash for each tournament, their own rulebook, and their own standards, they could take over the world of disc golf and drive the rest of us out of business. Or at the very least completely own the professional scene.

It's possible, but who's gonna do it? Do they want to reinvent the wheel or do they just want to make some discs and host some tournaments within the existing framework?

Who's gonna do it? It'd have to be someone who doesn't expect to get those millions back. I'm inclined to think that anyone smart enough to have that much cash, will be someone smart enough to not throw it away.

Who's gonna do it? It'd have to be someone who doesn't expect to get those millions back. I'm inclined to think that anyone smart enough to have that much cash, will be someone smart enough to not throw it away.

Oh you would think that. Turns out our American economy turns over a good many idiot millionaires every year.

Investing in "up and coming" sports or outside mainstream is a great way to go broke.

For any successful sport where does the money come from? Fans. Ams. Etc. Want bigger better DG NOW? Want green fees?

Organic growth = good. Commercialization = bad $$$

ratings are really only useful when trying to divide the line between Am and Pro. Since you have to actually qualify for things like the PGA/LPGA (and other lower tours, to an extent) ratings mean nothing. The PDGA encompasses both pro and am players, so there has to be something to differentiate performance.

Ratings don't mean much if you're a touring pro.

For any successful sport where does the money come from? Fans. Ams. Etc. Want bigger better DG NOW? Want green fees?

There are a lot of spoiled disc golfers out there that demand free rounds - some of us out here have to pay to play our courses, and honestly it's not a big deal and it certainly isn't prohibitive considering what we get out of it.

Investing in "up and coming" sports or outside mainstream is a great way to go broke.

Organic growth = good. Commercialization = bad $$$

There are a lot of spoiled disc golfers out there that demand free rounds - some of us out here have to pay to play our courses, and honestly it's not a big deal and it certainly isn't prohibitive considering what we get out of it.

Disc golf is the result of players and built and maintained on the back of mostly volunteers.

Greens fees and park fee here, only provide for clean, well maintained courses. Not a complaint, I will gladly pay a few buck for it.

"oh wait that's right because they are pointless!"

He's right. The PDGA should be for ams only. The pros need much better overall representation to the public than what the PDGA provides.

"oh wait that's right because they are pointless!"

He's right. The PDGA should be for ams only. The pros need much better overall representation to the public than what the PDGA provides.

In place of the PDGA or in addition to the PDGA?

Latest posts