• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hi, I'm wrambler, and I'm a Plasticaholic

Field practice Saturday and played a round today. Two finger grip is getting more comfortable and consistent. Haven't eliminated the wobble but I am getting some better throws, especially using a mellow snap vs record-breaking effort. Wasn't confident enough to tee off with FH today but flicks saved me a few times with my putter and midrange.

If I figure something out that makes my FH click, I'll definitely come back here and post it.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here about the FH throw. Ive recently started playing disc golf , but have been an avid frisbee player for over 40 years (ultimate, canjam, beach etc). I throw RHFH a lot and its my easily my most accurate drive option. Wont go as far as a 100% RHBH but I can get 280-300' fairly regularly.

I am a disc golf newb and realize I may get flamed for passing out technique advice, but Ive been throwing sidearm forever with ultimate discs, and I have had zero problems throwing any of my disc golf discs with the exact same technique. Realize that everyone will have there own little tweaks, and what works for me may not work for you, but it'll only take a minute to try it and see if it feels right to you.

Here is my take, I think the wobble you describe is a combination of not enough spin and the disc being free to move/wobble at the moment of release. A lot of people just snap their middle finger forward pulling the disc forward away from the pocket between the thumb and index finger that the rear of the disc is originally resting on. When I throw, I concentrate on 2 points of contact on the disc. The middle finger that rests on the forward inside rim, and the the pocket between my thumb and index finger that supports the rear most part of the disc. When I snap my fingers forward at release, I focus on keeping forward pressure on the disc from the rear as well as forward pressure from the the finger tips. You have to really snap the wrist and apply almost a punching motion at the very last instant. You can actually feel the disc pressing into the back pocket area at release if done right. Easier to do when you arent throwing hard, takes practice to be able to do it when throwing at max power. This creates a lot of stabilizing spin at release and prevents the disc from haphazardly being able to wobble at release. The key is the simultaneous pressure from the leading finger and the rear most point of contact at release.

I would recommend having a catch with someone with an ultimate frisbee to kind of work out the mechanics at short distance. Get a lot more reps that way in a shorter amount of time. Hope it works for you like it works for me.

Latest posts