• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 03/13/13: Buffalo Trace Park in Palmyra, IN

This hole has always gotten me. I never know what to throw.
I definitely don't plan on a two, nor is a three guaranteed.

Saying this is a par 5 is exaggerated, but I would definitely call it a par 4 (at least from the long tee).

Agreed, it's a par 4 from the long. The sign lists rec par.

This is one of the more interesting and challenging holes at Buffalo.

I've been having good luck throwing a flex shot with a slightly overstable mid like a Wasp there recently. A mid drops faster to get under the trees and the flex gives it extra air time to make for an easy approach for 3.

A lot depends on what it looks like past the tree-line. I may try to punch it through with an XL or a Teebird to try to get into putting range. If placement is important, I think I'll just go with an ESP Buzzz to get to a spot to make the approach.

From the short, Buzzz for sure.

Agreed, it's a par 4 from the long. The sign lists rec par.

This is one of the more interesting and challenging holes at Buffalo.

I've been having good luck throwing a flex shot with a slightly overstable mid like a Wasp there recently. A mid drops faster to get under the trees and the flex gives it extra air time to make for an easy approach for 3.

Forehand roller, FTW! Deuced it many, many times that way. I normally used a Z-Predator or another overstable driver. Gotta keep it right down the middle or slightly to the right when it sits down or you'll go off track. Really well designed hole.

What's not explained here is how the wind plays into your drive. Wind always comes off the lake from behind the tee box which usually forces you down quicker then expected or increases the chance of hyzerin off into tough rough either side. I throw a teebird if it's windy and an Archon if not. It's best to finish on the right then the left for an approach. This is one of the three holes I have left to duece. Worth a road trip just to check it out it's a beautiful course and also being expanded to 27 holes very soon

Hole 12 at Buffalo Trace

I'm sure there are some people who can go up and over, but I haven't seen it done and those who can are few and far between. The two best options are to throw a roller or a low line-drive. You have to do your best to almost skim the top of the hill that crests about 80' in front of you because if you get higher than that you'll hit the trees. If you can keep it low you can enter the trees below the canopy. You'll want to get into the trees on the right side of the fairway so that you can glide back to the left towards the basket. There is a little more of an open line to the right side of the fairway than to the left.

Forehand roller, FTW! Deuced it many, many times that way. I normally used a Z-Predator or another overstable driver. Gotta keep it right down the middle or slightly to the right when it sits down or you'll go off track. Really well designed hole.

this^^^

This is my home course....... this hole, along with 13, can get you in trouble.

If I had the arm to go over the top I would but I use a FB for a F/H roller to get me down the hill for a shot at an easy 3, which I'm happy with. The picture doesn't give the drop off justice since its steeper than it looks and, as previously mentioned, it is much better to finish right as opposed to left.

What's not explained here is how the wind plays into your drive. Wind always comes off the lake from behind the tee box which usually forces you down quicker then expected or increases the chance of hyzerin off into tough rough either side. I throw a teebird if it's windy and an Archon if not. It's best to finish on the right then the left for an approach. This is one of the three holes I have left to duece. Worth a road trip just to check it out it's a beautiful course and also being expanded to 27 holes very soon
^ this! the wind can really whip off the lake from behind.

When i played it, i think i threw a Destroyer and ended up in jail on the left. It started a string of 6 bogeys in the woods.

2013:

Long: Avenger and let it fade into the gap.
Short: River

Ridge to finish out.

Nice pics eh?

^ this! the wind can really whip off the lake from behind.

When i played it, i think i threw a Destroyer and ended up in jail on the left. It started a string of 6 bogeys in the woods.

2013:

Long: Avenger and let it fade into the gap.
Short: River

Ridge to finish out.

Nice pics eh?

I call hole 12-14 the three horsemen of bogeys since they're back to back to back tough holes.