• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 2/17/2023: Veteran Hills Hole #8 Viroqua, WI

Bardu

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Veteran Hills in Viroqua, WI

Blue Tee
Pin A: 470 ft
Pin B: 385 ft

Red Tee
Pin A: 350 ft
Pin B: 260 ft

Blue Tee
5a2722e6.jpg

Red Tee
597f121a.jpg

Basket to Tee
5414bedd.jpg

Last trip I played here I yanked my cherished Glo Tern into the trees on the right and sadly lost it forever. The day before I had thrown the same disc on a gorgeous turnover line to dead center fairway about 80 short of the basket.

Blue tee: Lucid Evader (position play)

Red tee: Lucid Escape

Blue:
Have fun with some kind of flippy driver action

Red:
long - US driver turnover
short - US mid turnover

Long- Warhorse
Short-Flare/Justice

Blue- Star Tern

Red- Star Destroyer

probably closer to a birds ruins type feel than the standard p2p polished dane county courses

Bird's Ruin's is another one of those courses where someone saw a giant field full of 15 foot tall rough and was like "Yea, I think I'm gonna build a 28 hole course here". :wall:

The first 9 holes are decent but that has to be the worst/most overrated course in the greater Madison area.

Like I said, it's another case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

O snap, I didn't realize this was the HOD thread lol.

Probably something understable and glidey on the longs and something that's more stable for da shorts.

Bird's Ruin's is another one of those courses where someone saw a giant field full of 15 foot tall rough and was like "Yea, I think I'm gonna build a 28 hole course here". :wall:

The first 9 holes are decent but that has to be the worst/most overrated course in the greater Madison area.

Like I said, it's another case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

i cant let this comment slide

birds is better than all those polished p2p generic cookie cutter courses around madison area

i might even say birds is better than wilderness depending on the day

birds actually feels like wi

and is impressively punishing for bad shots

O snap, I didn't realize this was the HOD thread lol.

Probably something understable and glidey on the longs and something that's more stable for da shorts.

Not a bad thing! There's never discussion on these always just, "Rock" or something short written. The ole' post and ghost

Enigma to chew up as much distance as possible without dumping hard right. From the pictures, it appears that it is better to be left than right.

I wouldn't go that far lol.

I am a big fan of Birds Ruins though. It's either a love it or hate it kind of course.

i cant let this comment slide

birds is better than all those polished p2p generic cookie cutter courses around madison area

birds actually feels like wi

and is impressively punishing for bad shots

I wouldn't go that far lol.

I am a big fan of Birds Ruins though. It's either a love it or hate it kind of course.

The first 12-18? holes are pretty fun and definitely challenging.

It's the last 10 or so holes that play in the huge overgrown field that are the absolute worst and I never understand why people choose to build DG courses in fields like that.

For example, there's a now recently defunct 18er in the Chicagoland area that was called West Main Park. If you've ever been there you'll understand how bad courses like that really are during the summertime. Less than 10 foot wide fairways with rough that will literally swallow your discs even if it lands less than a foot from the fairway. But at least Bird's Ruins doesn't have wild parsnip like West Main Park did.. I got huge nasty blisters from playing that course lol.

Yes I understand getting off the fairways are suppose to punish you but not cause you to look 30+ minutes for a disc only to not find it because you had ONE bad shot off the tee or ONE bad approach. You could literally have a hot streak during your round and then BAM! One bad shot can send you on a search mission that takes up almost half your round.

That is not fun, that is not challenging at all. That is just plain ol' bad decision making on the course designers behalf. But hey, I'm just a casual player and not a pro who can throw 350+ feet down a 8 foot wide fairway and make it land under the pin every time. And even if I was, I still wouldn't enjoy playing rounds at courses like that. Perhaps I'd have a better time playing it during late late fall / winter when the rough is almost non-existent.

Latest posts