• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 2/2/2021: Plamann Apple Creek 18 Hole #11 Appleton, WI

Bardu

* Ace Member *
Plamann Apple Creek 18 in Appleton, WI

179 ft.

"#11 is aceable through the "two goal post trees", but is a blind placement."

Tee
534701d9.jpg

Approach
ebb99bd0.jpg

Oh hey, my home course from back when I was in high school! The two trees just before the crest of the hill fell down a few years ago so the tee shot is completely wide open now. Just a lazy LHBH hyzer with a Zone and it's usually parked.

Very much just "chuck it up over the hill and have it stall out straight".

I throw a beat to s@#$ SS Voodoo.

Very much just "chuck it up over the hill and have it stall out straight".

I throw a beat to s@#$ SS Voodoo.

Close

But a beat to s@#$ SS Wizard...

If it only said Stickin' Putts...

Always thought I would ace this one; but, alas, I never did...

*Next hole was my first ever ace. With a Hammer!

^If that's a question?; current hole 12 pic slightly different than original pin placement. Original was dead straight; newer placement (which has been around for decades now) is to the right a bit.

Last edited:
^If that's a question?; current hole 12 pic slightly different than original pin placement. Original was dead straight; newer placement (which has been around for decades now) is to the right a bit.

When I was back over in Appleton last year visiting family it was in the dead straight position, and crushed by a tree. 10 was off to the right on the hill side and 13 was tucked up by the woods on the right and pushed closer to the creek as well. First time I've ever seen them in those positions (or ever even moved at all) since I started playing.

Not a lot of pin position movement taking place at Plamann. :) I don't think any holes there have ever had more than two different spots ( in 30+ years!). :) When, after many years they would change one up; it would then stay in the new position for a decade. :)

I've not been out there in a couple of years; but, I believe; holes 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, (I would have said 10 until your comment), (I would have 13 until your comment), *if you don't count the very early version of the course that had no holes "across the road"(i.e. 12, 13, 14), 15, 16, 17, and 18 are in the very same positions they were placed in, 1989. :)

I love hear course history. It's always fun to see how a course has changed over the years. What was the layout before before they had the holes across the road? Was it just 15 holes or was the layout just completely different? As for them moving, this time at least, it looked mostly to try to stop erosion and try to get grass growing around the previous pin positions. Hole 10, as you probably know, had gotten terribly eroded in the original position. 12 also was lacking in grass around the pin on the right side placement. Hole 13 I can't really think of a reason they moved it, though. As I remember the grass wasn't getting worn down much, if at all, around that pin. But I'm not complaining, made it easier for the lefty shot and harder for righties. :p

I think the very first version of Plamann was in 1988. (I did not write it down, could be wrong.) :)

Yellow plastic chain baskets on the course, originally, for a very brief time. (My practice basket is one of those baset tops, with a second set of metal chains added!)

Nine of those plastic chain baskets ended up at a mental health facility that I (but, I think very few others) have actually played. ...about hole 7 a doctor in a white lab coat (not kidding); came over and hollered at us; and we had to sprint through the last few holes with him kind of chasing us around! :hfive:

Before the holes "across the road" I played at least one, if not two tournaments there. Very original hole 12, was a short, but fun/dangerous hole that played from the hill top (not far from current basket for hole #11) to a basket just across the creek. Creek o.b., very much in play.

The hill side that current basket for hole 15 basket sits atop; you used play a few holes sideways back and forth across that hillside; with tall grass o.b. as the primary obstacle. Or, if you allowed your disc to go sideways and flow down the hillside.

Rich's (Martin) design has really held up wonderfully at Plamann. (Steady Ed worked with him on it.) Tees still the same as original. To this day, the course has the daylights played out of it, 7 days a week; dawn to dark.

Idea for holes across the road came from "Uncle" Joe Weinshel. He was one of the main designers for original layout at Dretzka Park, in Milwaukee; and a very early "Ice Bowl" tourney creator.

I played a couple of times, in the very early Plamann days with Uncle Joe and Ted Mani. They had me eating "wild cucumbers" that could be found by the creek, near basket for hole 5...claimed they were psychedelic. :) *They were not psychedelic. :)

Latest posts