• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 8/19/2016: Chavez Ridge DGC at Elysian Hole 7 in Los Angeles, CA

fritothedog

* Ace Member *
Course Rating of 3.42 from 49 reviews.

Hole 7
Pin: Red Tee / Blue Tee
Pin Position A: 241 ft / 243 ft
Pin Position B: 307 ft / 303 ft
Pin Position C: 271 ft / 273 ft

Tee Sign:
9ee73e7d.jpg

Tee:
89e6bd39.jpg

Alt Tee:
b798aece.jpg

Course Map

This course is ten minutes from my house and I have no idea how many times I've played this hole but it's been a lot.

The roll away factor is huge on this entire course and the danger on #7 is especially acute. The fairway and greens, if you can even call them that, on #7 are all pitched down to the left, as the player addresses the basket. And there are a ton of trees. Btw, when I say, "rollaway," I mean, a rollaway on #7 could roll 100'-200' left, downhill, with an elevation drop of 50', at a 90° angle to the fairway. And your disc could get stuck in one of the many bushes or behind some trees, etc., making any rescue throw impossible.

I always flick my Firebird here, right-handed, aiming at the 12-15 foot gap to the left and hope for the best. I'm not sure there's much of a difference in rollaway risk between a RHFH or RHBH drive but I generally feel better having my throws fade uphill, rather than downhill, so I employ that logic here to.

For the short basket position, I've seen Steve Rico backhand his Ghost or putter, straight as an arrow, through the 10-12 foot gap in the middle, and park it on the pitched "green." But he's Steve Rico.

Tough hole, tough course, but it's home.

I always flick my Firebird here, right-handed, aiming at the 12-15 foot gap to the left and hope for the best. I'm not sure there's much of a difference in rollaway risk between a RHFH or RHBH drive but I generally feel better having my throws fade uphill, rather than downhill, so I employ that logic here to.

Tough hole, tough course, but it's home.

Sounds good. Firebird forehand.

Red, over the top with a Thunderbird
Blue, I'd try a RHFH with Rhyno or TB

Hey! I was just here. I really enjoyed the crazy amount of focus needed for every hole. I threw a DX classic roc that's about 5/10 on the turnover line.

Short: RHBH Meteor
Long: I'll find a line with a Teebird.