• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOFC

Live streaming is pretty much impossible from the IDGC. Terrible cell coverage.

Anyone have any thoughts on why more people aren't signed up? How do we get more people to want to play?

Not have it the week after USDGC. I feel like the pros often use the USDGC as their finale to the season and after so much pomp and circumstance with that event, it's hard to quickly make the turn around to this one. I think it's interesting that now with the DGPT championship, the USDGC will no longer be the "end" to the season.

10 players rated over 1020 including Ricky, Paul and Sexton. Paige and Cat and a solid field in general for both divisions...??? Is 64 in the Pro field a bit small? Maybe, but the AM/Pro masters side has another 140+.

Looks like a strong field to me. I'd think the routing works well for the touring pros.

For the name players who aren't there, it could be a matter of burn-out on the courses since they were there earlier in the year. As well as nothing really to play for since the NT title is wrapped up on the women's side and is down to basically 2-3 players in Open.

There might also be a pull for some to head straight from Rock Hill to Jacksonville to get a head start on getting familiar with that course, where they stand to make really good money if they play well (no entry so payout is pure profit).

Still 53 in Open with that many 1000+ and 1020+ players is a very competitive field. What appears to be lacking more is the typical back-end players with sub-980 ratings who fill out the field and are basically purse-padding. For those players, the $200 price tag is pretty discouraging (I know if I were local, I'd probably be skipping out on playing). Not that that price is out of the ordinary for an elite level event, but it certainly can be factor for players who aren't touring players (i.e. they have regular jobs) and don't feel they have a shot to beat all or enough of the touring players in the field to cash in for enough to make it worth their while.

10 players rated over 1020 including Ricky, Paul and Sexton. Paige and Cat and a solid field in general for both divisions...??? Is 64 in the Pro field a bit small? Maybe, but the AM/Pro masters side has another 140+.

I didn't look it up but I would venture to bet 12 players in FPO and 53 Players in MPO is the smallest NT field this year. The rest of the field is not playing in the national tour event.

Edit: GBO has 3x the MPO field and almost 3x the FPO field. https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/30420

Fact: This is the smallest field of any NT this year.

Last edited:
I didn't look it up but I would venture to bet 12 players in FPO and 53 Players in MPO is the smallest NT field this year. .
Yea and?... Like JC said, there isn't a lot of "purse padding" players at this event but several top guys and gals are there. Also, this is the end of a very long touring season, I'm sure some of the guys are just done with it. If you watch Eagle's vlog, you can tell he's been burnt out for a while.

Still 53 in Open with that many 1000+ and 1020+ players is a very competitive field. What appears to be lacking more is the typical back-end players with sub-980 ratings who fill out the field and are basically purse-padding. For those players, the $200 price tag is pretty discouraging (I know if I were local, I'd probably be skipping out on playing). Not that that price is out of the ordinary for an elite level event, but it certainly can be factor for players who aren't touring players (i.e. they have regular jobs) and don't feel they have a shot to beat all or enough of the touring players in the field to cash in for enough to make it worth their while.

The top local pros (Josh Childs, Dustin Perry etc) are there.

It could also be that MPO Worlds diluted the number of those sub 980 players willing and/or able to come out. I could definitely see, after paying up for pro Worlds, not wanting to donate that much $$$ again to the NT field, or not having the time off work to be able to get back down there. The local scene down there also isn't the most robust with MPO players (source: having played in a decent amount of tournaments in the Augusta area as I was born and raised in Aiken and my parent's house is there).

Also, I'll be down there Friday spectating, debating on whether or not I'll go back Saturday (30 mins out of the way Friday on my way home, versus 2 hours round trip Saturday).

A lot of players also don't play in all woods events

kelso-burn-o.gif

:clap:

I am definitely looking forward to playing in this event, and almost certainly being a donator. How many shots will you give me each round MJ????

Latest posts