• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT dropping UDisc Live

glassila

Double Eagle Member
UDisc officially announced that DGPT will no longer be using UDisc Live for live scoring and statistics.
[COLOR=var(--text)]I'm guessing they didn't want to pay UDisc for the service? and will rely on PDGA Live Scoring and Statmando.

I followed many live tournaments using UDisc Live and it was pretty nice...not as good as video, but pretty good. I wonder if the new system will be on the level with UDisc. I have never used Statmando so I don't know what they do.[/COLOR]

UDisc statement800.jpg

I remember it being discussed, but I couldn't remember if it was here or reddit or where. I searched DGCR for new threads, but didn't search within threads.

I remember it being discussed, but I couldn't remember if it was here or reddit or where. I searched DGCR for new threads, but didn't search within threads.
Yeah, I contemplated bumping an old UDisc thread for my post there quoted below but none seemed appropriate.

The capabilities and stats that UDisc has been implementing (which DGN commentators have made significant use of) will no longer be available if the scoring isn't being tracked there. As far as I know, the PDGA live cannot capture detailed stats the same way UDisc is (C1x, C2 putting/fairway hits, strokes gained, OB rate, etc...). Maybe some improvements will be rolled out but I don't expect like for like storage/stat keeping from PDGA live scoring.

I wonder if UDisc didn't want to open up their stats for 3rd party accessors the DGPT is thinking of marketing to. One more thing DGPT is trying to monetize.

I assume they weren't profiting much from UDisclive apart from the advertising/mentions driving adoption of their scoring app for casual rounds and the advertising banners/player sponsorship info on the UDisclive webpage. Managing the UDisclive for the DGPT weekend events probably took up a large amount of time especially early on in DGPT & UDisc's existence. I'm sure the founders & any developers they have since hired on are happy to not have weekends being booked up for managing the events though they have added more event related functionality to the app. The recently announced increase in annual subscription cost for UDisc is probably partly to cover the lost revenue from UDisclive but also increases in the scale of operations & inflation - they are now providing more with the free version than ever before though.

Latest posts