• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGN for 2022

txmxer

* Ace Member *
If you subscribed previously, I'm pretty sure you got the email.

Key points:
EU Open and USDGC part of the base subscription
I think the monthly rate went up $2(?)

This thread isn't intended to be an argument about subscribing or whether DGN is worth it. That's each person's choice to make. I have been a subscriber and probably will renew.

Regardless, I can't help but wonder how this will impact the next day coverage teams. Those broadcasts obviously impact DGN viewership, but I think they are also a huge part of the reason for growth of the sport.

the DGN email:

Dear DGN Subscriber,

As we kick off the 2022 DGPT season, there are a few important updates I want to share with you. As a part of the 30+ event package included in the 2022 subscription, we are thrilled to bring the European Open, USDGC and Throw Pink Championships broadcasts to our network! These two PDGA Major events will now be included in your subscription. In 2021, the USDGC and Throw Pink Championships were only available via pay-per-view. While we were able to offer a discounted PPV price for DGN Subscribers, it was an additional purchase on top of the regular subscription rate to access the content.

It was important to us that these two exciting events were included in the base subscription package for the 2022 season. However, in order for us to acquire the broadcasting rights to these prestigious tournaments, as well as distribute them as part of a standard DGN subscription, we've had to make some substantial investments.

Additionally, we've become the Official Tour of the PDGA, inking a deal with the governing body of the sport to merge the National Tour into the Disc Golf Pro Tour, and increase member benefits for PDGA members. In doing so, we've invested more into DGN equipment and personnel, and we are confident our viewers will see the impact of those investments over the course of the season as the live broadcast continues to improve. Subscribers will also be offered a more robust slate of content in addition to the live coverage, with recurring weekly shows that offer analysis, highlights, reporting, and insight into the behind-the-scenes of the tour and the players.

As a result of the substantial investments in content, equipment, and personnel we are implementing a small increase in the DGN subscription price for the 2022 season. A Disc Golf Network subscription will be $11.99 per month or $99.99 annually for the 2022 season. PDGA members still enjoy a 50% discount on the monthly subscription.

We are constantly looking for ways to add value for our subscribers and know that many of you are just as excited as we are to see the European Open and USDGC added to the schedule this year; but if you so desire, you can unsubscribe via this link or put a pause on your subscription here. We would hate to see you go and hope that you continue to watch alongside us for the 2022 season and beyond.

Thank you for your support of the Disc Golf Network and the Disc Golf Pro Tour.

Sincerely,

Jeff Spring
CEO and Tour Director
Disc Golf Pro Tour
Disc Golf Network

Almost sounds like....we had to give a discount to PDGA members, so we are raising our prices to make up for it. But that's my cynical side.

Last year DGN live broadcast the final day rounds of every event to DGPT Youtube (free) but USDGC/Throw Pink. This policy seems to have carried forward to this year with the final day rounds of the All Star event getting streamed to their channel as well. The addition of USDGC/Throw Pink & the European Open as part of the subscription are nice for everyone if the final round gets pushed to Youtube free.

I expect an announcement about the PDGA member benefits this week since the LVC is the first pro tour event of 2022. Seems the annual value of the monthly discount was based on the $10 a month price. At $12 monthly full price it would be $72 annual value of the discount (still more than the cost of a amateur PDGA membership, nearly the pro member cost).
https://www.pdga.com/members/benefits
PDGA members get FREE Disc Golf Network coverage of select pro tour events in 2022, including:

First pro tour event of the 2022 season
The Inaugural Champions Cup - a new disc golf major
The U.S. Women's Disc Golf Championship
Pro Worlds - final 2 rounds
Last pro tour event of the 2022 season
PLUS, active PDGA members get a 50% monthly discount on a Disc Golf Network subscription - a $60 annual value.

PDGA members could get away with paying for only a few discounted months throughout the year with the mix of 'free' options: PDGA member benefits, post produced, and free DGPT Youtube final rounds. Doing so would miss out on first round feature cards for DGN live broadcast unless something changes with the post produced media policies this year.

Last year DGN live broadcast the final day rounds of every event to DGPT Youtube (free) but USDGC/Throw Pink. This policy seems to have carried forward to this year with the final day rounds of the All Star event getting streamed to their channel as well. The addition of USDGC/Throw Pink & the European Open as part of the subscription are nice for everyone if the final round gets pushed to Youtube free.

I expect an announcement about the PDGA member benefits this week since the LVC is the first pro tour event of 2022. Seems the annual value of the monthly discount was based on the $10 a month price. At $12 monthly full price it would be $72 annual value of the discount (still more than the cost of a amateur PDGA membership, nearly the pro member cost).
https://www.pdga.com/members/benefits

PDGA members could get away with paying for only a few discounted months throughout the year with the mix of 'free' options: PDGA member benefits, post produced, and free DGPT Youtube final rounds. Doing so would miss out on first round feature cards for DGN live broadcast unless something changes with the post produced media policies this year.

thanks for sharing. I'll look forward to seeing what the PDGA offer is.

Not sure if they offer the annual discount or it is just for the monthly. That could actually save money if you drop subscription after the DGPT final. The PDGA member benefit link says:

PDGA members get FREE Disc Golf Network coverage of select pro tour events in 2022, including:

First pro tour event of the 2022 season
The Inaugural Champions Cup - a new disc golf major
The U.S. Women's Disc Golf Championship
Pro Worlds - final 2 rounds
Last pro tour event of the 2022 season
PLUS, active PDGA members get a 50% monthly discount on a Disc Golf Network subscription - a $60 annual value.

For members in the US and Canada, media benefits include quarterly issues of DiscGolfer Magazine - a $20 value, FREE (Those outside North America can opt-in to receive the magazine for $40.) Membership dollars also contribute to the production of disc golf videos, newsletters, and more.

These benefits are in addition to the PDGA's own initiatives to create and host more, new disc golf content on PDGA social media and YouTube channels.

So let's be real, free DGN for PDGA members was only gonna last so long. Get them hooked, take it away, then force them to pay?

Isn't that pretty much what happened with UDisc?

So let's be real, free DGN for PDGA members was only gonna last so long. Get them hooked, take it away, then force them to pay?

Isn't that pretty much what happened with UDisc?

when was it free?

Regardless, as DGN and DGPT are taking over the pro side of the sport, I'm curious to see how this flushes out for the independent media.

Almost sounds like....we had to give a discount to PDGA members, so we are raising our prices to make up for it. But that's my cynical side.

That would have made sense a couple years ago when they started giving out the discount. DGPT gets paid by the PDGA though (part of where your member fees are now going) to make up for that balance.

Feels more like "USDGC isn't PPV anymore" price hike.

I don't really care though, I'm paying either way because I love watching live as much as feasibly possible

That would have made sense a couple years ago when they started giving out the discount. DGPT gets paid by the PDGA though (part of where your member fees are now going) to make up for that balance.

Feels more like "USDGC isn't PPV anymore" price hike.

I don't really care though, I'm paying either way because I love watching live as much as feasibly possible

Or more like PDGA infuses some cash to help keep things afloat in return for something to offer other than a membership disc nobody wants and a magazine that shows up months after the coverage occurs? PDGA very much needed to climb out of the 1990's and had money to spend.

USDGC was always a labor of love for Innova. They've always done their own thing, less headache for them searching for a live coverage offering on their own and let DGPT soak up the coverage. DGWT was definitely #Team Post Production but that was a one and done. The ghost of Steve Dodge is chuckling somewhere knowing that Jamie is now the guy stuck in terrible cell coverage when DGPT can't provide live coverage and needs to phone a friend.

A Disc Golf Network subscription will be $11.99 per month or $99.99 annually for the 2022 season. PDGA members still enjoy a 50% discount on the monthly subscription.

So as a PDGA member i should cancel my annual subscription and get the monthly for $5.99x12 ?!? . . that does not really make sence

I am also concerned that (maybe not this year but real soon) the indy videographers (Jomez, Central Coast, Gatekeeper, and GK are the big 4 I can think of instantly) will soon either be thinned out, Borg-ed into the collective, or forced to pay big $$ for the privilege of filming their content. There are great camera folks at each company, and each has a particular feature or two that I really like. And I agree they have been instrumental in raising the awareness of certain players, without which maybe their value to the disc companies would be lower.

Here is hoping the PDGA/DGPT remembers all that these hard-working companies have done to get disc golf viewing where it is. I personally greatly enjoy the condensed 30-45 minute 9 hole footage these companies provide. I have never watched an entire live event, though I do subscribe--I catch tidbits here and there, usually while working from home.

So as a PDGA member i should cancel my annual subscription and get the monthly for $5.99x12 ?!? . . that does not really make sence

I agree and maybe we should check the DGN site to see if that is truly the case.

IF it is, you could subscribe monthly until the DGPT final then drop for 3-4 months and save more. Seems like a faulty plan

Here is hoping the PDGA/DGPT remembers all that these hard-working companies have done to get disc golf viewing where it is. I personally greatly enjoy the condensed 30-45 minute 9 hole footage these companies provide. I have never watched an entire live event, though I do subscribe--I catch tidbits here and there, usually while working from home.

VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET.

Join the Patreons, don't pay DGN. It's pretty simple for us to support the companies putting out content we want vs content we don't.

VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET.

Join the Patreons, don't pay DGN. It's pretty simple for us to support the companies putting out content we want vs content we don't.

I don't see it as "content we want vs content we don't want". I see it as live content (DGN) vs recorded content.

Jomez, Central Coast, thediscgolfguy, Par Save, etc could provide "live" content if they want to. (I'm guessing it's much more expensive to provide live content so they have stuck with recorded)

I would love it if DGN and UDisc were free, but since they are trying to make a profit I completely understand the price tag. In both cases the price tags are acceptable to me.

I don't see it as "content we want vs content we don't want". I see it as live content (DGN) vs recorded content.

Jomez, Central Coast, thediscgolfguy, Par Save, etc could provide "live" content if they want to. (I'm guessing it's much more expensive to provide live content so they have stuck with recorded)

There won't be any more post production if DGN gets exclusivity. How many other sports have both live and post produced coverage?

I don't think the quality of DGN live content is worth any money at this point, having watched all last year and All stars this year. That's why I call it "content we don't want," ****ty broadcasting, no on screen graphics, and bad commentary.

I think what will ultimately happen is DGN will put all DGPT post production coverage behind the paywall. You'd still have the individual companies producing their own coverage, you'll just have to go through DGN instead of YouTube to get it. Financially they'll find a way to make it work for the film crews, and you'd have an extra subscription tier for the standard live coverage plus the expanded post production selection.

I think what will ultimately happen is DGN will put all DGPT post production coverage behind the paywall. You'd still have the individual companies producing their own coverage, you'll just have to go through DGN instead of YouTube to get it. Financially they'll find a way to make it work for the film crews, and you'd have an extra subscription tier for the standard live coverage plus the expanded post production selection.

This sounds like the worst idea possible, and exactly what they will do. Instead of widening their reach by utilizing the largest video hosting website in the world*, just dig in and hope your small fanbase will support you.

*There's probably a bigger site in China, but this works for argument's sake. I would never has started disc golfing if a video hadn't come up while I was watching F1 replays on YT