• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGN for 2022

No, but you can't single out one factor as what is creating the enthusiasm and ignore all the other factors, either. The Jomez fanboys seem to forget everything else in play.

The effect that YouTube could have on disc golf was evident long before Jomez. The Cubby videos drove disc golf engagement for a while there and spawned a host of imitation ace videos that were bringing people out to the course. It was pretty evident then that if low-quality ace videos could engage people that better content could have a big impact. DiscGolfPlanet.tv tried to be the breakthrough, but it wasn't time. DGPT hadn't started yet, the content wasn't there.

This boom we have now is the intersection of quality video content, DGPT receiving a huge investment boost from new ownership, a sport that had built up a base slowly over 40 years and establish a wide net of courses, and a pandemic upending people's lives and leaving them open to try something new. That doesn't even figure in what the disc manufacturers are doing, there is a retail side to being ready to fill our hands with equipment. Plus...none of this can happen before the Internet. There are a bunch of moving parts to what is happening now. Jomez is one of the parts.

totally agree--kind of said that in reply to your last post.

I think it is reasonable to say we might not have DG as a sport like it is today without Steady Ed*...after that, everyone is just a part of the story.

* Might just a be a few kids throwing frisbees at trees otherwise.

I've got it fired up as background noise, but Ian and Elaine King are a pretty good commentary pairing. So far it looks like the FPO action is packed pretty tight, let's hope it stays that way the next few days.

Yes. They play off each other well and describe the action nicely. Neither dominates the commentary, neither overexaggerates the shots. :thmbup:

I'm obviously talking about the recent surge in popularity. BTW, Jomez is no spring chicken, they have been producing disc golf content for a decade

Jomez had very, very little coverage until 2015. Just look at their youtube channel.

The boom was not because of Jomez, but Jomez rose in popularity as the sport did. There was very little sports coverage going on at a certain point and a lot of people found disc golf during that time frame. It's a correlation, not a causation

Last edited:
I'm excited DGN had a snafu today - their web hosts apparently had a widespread outage so the broadcast is live at 4:30 eastern on YouTube for free. I am not planning on paying for my annual subscription until next paycheck because I just don't care that much about Vegas or the Memorial - so its nice that I'll still get a chance to watch Jacky Chen live regardless of how he does in R1.

I'm excited DGN had a snafu today - their web hosts apparently had a widespread outage so the broadcast is live at 4:30 eastern on YouTube for free. I am not planning on paying for my annual subscription until next paycheck because I just don't care that much about Vegas or the Memorial - so its nice that I'll still get a chance to watch Jacky Chen live regardless of how he does in R1.
me too. let's watch some dg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWYl1JivJ3w

those drone shots show how it's a desert out there (gross)

I was fairly impressed with the FPO coverage today, glad to see the MPO coverage was on YouTube also.

Lol can you possibly say that the DGN outage today was the best sales move they could've played?

Let people see the coverage is pretty legit on day one? Ian and Philo doing commentary on MPO. I think at one point there was an acknowledgment that they're open to feedback on commentary, will the current commentator duties be relegated come final day?

I know people bag on Philo correcting everybody but yes super knowledgeable, has a good voice, and I think is easy to listen to. He's had plenty of booth time with Ian on CCDG videos so they mesh well.

Or is what I'm really trying to say is that Ian is awesome as the color guy and can fit in well with anybody else providing the veteran pro knowledge side? Just seems like he can fill gaps without trying too hard, is likable, and knows when to let the knowledge flex their muscles.

I was fairly impressed with the FPO coverage today, glad to see the MPO coverage was on YouTube also.

Lol can you possibly say that the DGN outage today was the best sales move they could've played?

Let people see the coverage is pretty legit on day one?
Ian and Philo doing commentary on MPO. I think at one point there was an acknowledgment that they're open to feedback on commentary, will the current commentator duties be relegated come final day?

So are you implying that the outage was intentional?....hmmmmmmm
(I like the way you think!)

Yes, Ian and Philo are excellent.

If I was Jomez, I would want to cover some non-DGPT events in order to cement their value distinct from the DGPT. Not the majors but just some bigger A-tiers for example. With the rise of Gatekeeper and GK Pro etc., DGPT has other Jomez competitors they can use to negotiate against or just buy out to bring their model in house. If in two years DGPT buys out gatekeeper and have Gatekeeper produce their paywalled post-produced coverage, where does that leave Jomez?

I think it would be worthwhile for Jomez to cover some A-tiers outside of the DGPT to see if that has exponentially more value than a Gatekeeper-run Elite Series event. Their putting game episodes over the offseason (which I find pretty boring tbh) regularly double Gatekeeper's MPO chase videos. I wonder what a potential Jomez Tour of non-DGPT A-tiers would look like and how many viewers and sponsors they could nab. I think it would be a bunch.

Would it not be MUCH smarter to stream R1 for free on Youtube? Then a few people might pay to see more rounds.

To stream the Last round for free, what does that give DGN? . . that people dont need to pay to se how it ends. .i just don´t get that.

ummm, no.

If you said JomezPro increased the popularity of disc golf by 3% I would not argue with you, but to say it "made" disc golf...no way.

I didn't follow disc golf for most of the 2010s, but would it be reasonable to say Jomez "made" the DGPT? I still can't get over how every semi-casual player now has opinions on the pro scene and so many individual players. 10 years ago, maybe you could get some people to watch Worlds or USDGC, but I was honestly more interested in seeing the courses rather than the talent.

I didn't follow disc golf for most of the 2010s, but would it be reasonable to say Jomez "made" the DGPT? I still can't get over how every semi-casual player now has opinions on the pro scene and so many individual players. 10 years ago, maybe you could get some people to watch Worlds or USDGC, but I was honestly more interested in seeing the courses rather than the talent.

No. Once the technology was there it was inevitable. This is not to knock Jomez at all- they do a fantastic job and are completely professional to deal with.

I don't believe Jomez made DGN or anything else. I do think they improved on coverage and showed what is possible. There were other videographers before Jomez. Jomez got into it and was able to put the money, equipment, and people into making a better product. Now others are trying to catch up to what Jomez does. If anything, Jomez was a follower that worked hard to become the leader.

So, they have commercials on the free offerings yesterday and today from DGN. Is this the norm, behind the paywall? I guess I assumed they were commercial free. Is that the usual, when watching sports behind some kind of paywall?

Lol I remember having burned dvd copies of some of the Clash footage with Billy Crump back in the early 2000's.

Anybody have any clue what that dude is up to these days?

So, they have commercials on the free offerings yesterday and today from DGN. Is this the norm, behind the paywall? I guess I assumed they were commercial free. Is that the usual, when watching sports behind some kind of paywall?

straight up

even if it was free i couldnt make it thru moar than 3 minutes consecutively

and then when they big shot the ads and small shot the action

got the priorities all mixed up

I am confused on how DGN wants us to consume the Silver Series events. The post production is coming out too late for the first two rounds. Yesterday I was waiting to watch Round 2 of the MPO from Music City and it was never released by the time the Sunday live final round coverage started. So what is the plan here? Watch Sunday's live coverage before watching Saturday's round?

I am confused on how DGN wants us to consume the Silver Series events. The post production is coming out too late for the first two rounds. Yesterday I was waiting to watch Round 2 of the MPO from Music City and it was never released by the time the Sunday live final round coverage started. So what is the plan here? Watch Sunday's live coverage before watching Saturday's round?

Agreed. Hopefully they are just working the bugs out and will get it dialed ASAP.