• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Holy crap, Ion. Ion, holy crap.

So you would just give up a stroke, or maybe two on the long holes? A 1000' hole would suck 200' at a time.
Eh, a 100' per shot, tops. And very likely I'd have better placements with the mids.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way suggesting that ignoring drivers in favor of mids and putters is a goal to strive for, but one should use the weapon most suited for the task at hand, especially if they've mastered that weapon. And on many long holes, especially if there isn't that much room and the conditions are bad, I might well give up the possible extra 100' for better placement and a larger margin of error that I have with mids.

Last edited:
I will readily agree that playing putter and mid only rounds have helped me become the crappy player I am. I would be far worse without them. But to forgo drivers and not use them in a tourney on an decent course is silly. I don't throw drivers far, or often, but if there is a 750' hole in the open I'll take the extra 50' or whatever it is off the tee. I am not real smart, but I know that just put me 50' closer to the basket. In a tight wooded hole maybe not, but I wouldn't totally throw out drivers. That's just dumb.

I will readily agree that playing putter and mid only rounds have helped me become the crappy player I am. I would be far worse without them. But to forgo drivers and not use them in a tourney on an decent course is silly. I don't throw drivers far, or often, but if there is a 750' hole in the open I'll take the extra 50' or whatever it is off the tee. I am not real smart, but I know that just put me 50' closer to the basket. In a tight wooded hole maybe not, but I wouldn't totally throw out drivers. That's just dumb.

Totally agree with this ... but even then during my "Ion Only" round last week, my 3rd shot on a 720' par 4 went 20' past the basket.

Kinda messed with my head ---> found myself wondering why I throw anything faster than a 3 speed lol

So you would just give up a stroke, or maybe two on the long holes? A 1000' hole would suck 200' at a time.

Why would you throw 200' at a time if you can throw 400' at a time? Not that I usually throw a putter on 1000' holes, first choice is OLF.

Putter rounds are excellent teaching tools as well. Learning how to throw backhand rollers to take a late right because the ceiling is too low for turnovers is just one example.

Humans

Why would you throw 200' at a time if you can throw 400' at a time? Not that I usually throw a putter on 1000' holes, first choice is OLF.

I meant for the rest of us mortals. Maybe 200' is light, but the average player probably can't throw a putter 400'. Maybe more like 250'. Still would make a 1000' or even a 750' hole harder to play.