• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Home course saga thread

What will you be using for baskets?

https://gottagogottathrow.com/colle...ucts/lightning-db-5-18-chain-disc-golf-basket these are the best option price wise to leave out forever, are some of the most durable, and can if you know how add an extra set of good Zinc plated/galvanized chains to the basket to have it catch better then the single chains.

Axiom pros for now. I have three axiom baskets, and I have two Prodigy baskets I am borrowing from work while the course is closed that will eventually be two more axioms. They come inside in the winter, they are cost effective and they catch well. My oldest one is facing a little bit after being left out all year but not bad at all.

Google Earth Pro will give you a nice satellite view of your property. It is a great tool for designing holes.

Google Earth Pro will give you a nice satellite view of your property. It is a great tool for designing holes.

Yeah, I tried that. Too heavily wooded unfortunately- I can barely see my roof and my street lol. Eventually I'll track down a fine topo and build a map over that, but I'm kind of focused on the physical aspects of the build before I dive into the details too hard.

Yeah, I tried that. Too heavily wooded unfortunately- I can barely see my roof and my street lol. Eventually I'll track down a fine topo and build a map over that, but I'm kind of focused on the physical aspects of the build before I dive into the details too hard.

I'm not sure it will help, but if you click on VIEW...HISTORICAL IMAGERY you can click on the different dates when a satellite image was taken. If there is a late fall or winter image you can see much better without leaves on the trees.

More work today. Really cleaned up the green on 4, anchored the basket in place and dragged the heavy logs out of the fairway danger zone where the other 6 trees are about to come out of. Lots of pole sawing and raking but it is getting really close! I'd say one more day of cleanup and then it's chainsaws and big trees time! Snapped a couple pics, and one of the newest basket with the sun, the forest and you can kind of see the view in the background so you can share in a little of my sunshine mountainside zen work happy place.

Hope you guys are enjoying the updates. Wish I had the means to record the progression a little better, In person it's a staggering change from when I first started.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71213&stc=1&d=1586228758

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71214&stc=1&d=1586228758

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71215&stc=1&d=1586228758

Attachments

• 07640D3A-90BF-4E9D-98EF-55045FC0490B.jpg
    07640D3A-90BF-4E9D-98EF-55045FC0490B.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 9EDA2091-376F-4040-B58E-0F6853D12C8D.jpg
    9EDA2091-376F-4040-B58E-0F6853D12C8D.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 6A44942B-7EEB-4F69-A243-BEBD26F091FF.jpg
    6A44942B-7EEB-4F69-A243-BEBD26F091FF.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 25
looks great!

i'm definitely jealous. i wish this is how i were spending my quarantine. loving the updates

looks great!

i'm definitely jealous. i wish this is how i were spending my quarantine. loving the updates

Thanks! I will keep posting the updates as I work, it's really nice to have a fun home project that isn't in my crawl space or up on a ladder.

Axiom pros for now. I have three axiom baskets, and I have two Prodigy baskets I am borrowing from work while the course is closed that will eventually be two more axioms. They come inside in the winter, they are cost effective and they catch well. My oldest one is facing a little bit after being left out all year but not bad at all.

Good you got better baskets then the lightweight Axiom/MVP or standard as those do not last in some cases being out all season. With the models you have, make sure the chains get the galvanizing compound spray (Rustolum and another company make that stuff) if the chains start to show micro rust but scrape off the micro rust if that is possible before doing the metal galvanizing compound spray. The other thing is if you get baskets in shipping that are not quite fully powder coated/chipped during shipping get some spray paint for metal and use clear coat to help spray paint stay better.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0842XY5RS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0842XY5RS&pd_rd_w=Hhx0T&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=SeQBE&pf_rd_r=8QM8CE4PEWYZZSC0HVXS&pd_rd_r=50a73f5e-0a30-4da0-8743-a554b321e81b&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQ05CWFNITVFIWEZFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzkzMTY4MVZMSTBLU1pEVFQxMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzI2Njk1MlI1S0tRWFNVSDNOVSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= These are the same price now as the Axiom Pro and HD means it has a better lower Disc Cage.

Last edited:
Working like an animal dropping the rest of the peripheral trees and dragging them out today, hoping the wind dies down so I can get after the big trees tomorrow!

Here's an in-progress shot for hole 6, from the basic area of the tee box to the basket. Most of those branches in the way will be gone once I drop the big trees. The throw is probably 160-170 but a solid uphill shot with contested airspace. All that junk in the middle was trees a half hour before the pic, and should be gone by tonight. It's been amazing how much more yard I've given myself by stripping the tree line!

Edit: That supposed to be a pic link below but f me, right?

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71256&stc=1&d=1586631022

Last edited:
Looks like I'll have all 9 holes playable by tomorrow evening. One more green to strip out and then it's just little stuff and a few tree drops, but nothing that will impact play.

Dang I can't wait for the first full round, today was long and this project has kicked my ass for two years now lol

Attachments

• EE6A45DF-EE83-421E-970E-CBFC3BCA2151.jpg
    EE6A45DF-EE83-421E-970E-CBFC3BCA2151.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 841ACD4B-D1AD-4558-96B4-10562B98E6CE.jpg
    841ACD4B-D1AD-4558-96B4-10562B98E6CE.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 40
you never know... you may end up liking the way some of those trees play. i always thought it was worth keeping some of those kind of trees around for a bit. if it were my course i'd be afraid of losing other trees later and then not having enough. i dunno if you get a lot of storms in that area.

time to enjoy!

you never know... you may end up liking the way some of those trees play. i always thought it was worth keeping some of those kind of trees around for a bit. if it were my course i'd be afraid of losing other trees later and then not having enough. i dunno if you get a lot of storms in that area.

time to enjoy!

Tbh, the trees don't need to come out for the course, they need to come out so I can have a sick view from my deck. I've got a nice ridge line view to look out at but the trees have grown in too much and it's getting pretty obscured. When I first moved in, it was so overgrown you could reach out from the deck and touch the trees, and I had a bunch hanging out over my roof, which was ruined from it. It was so bushy you couldn't see anything. It was bad, and it really felt very confined, dark and stuffy. Not so now! Very open, lots of sunlight and fresh air.

The house is a cool 60s chalet in an amazing location and we got a great deal on it, but that's because it needed a lot of love. It took me two intense years to even get it to where I could even realistically take this on. I've still got a lot to do, but I've really been wanting a home course and the virus pushed me over the edge.

Basic rules:

Hitting the house = 1 penalty stroke
Hitting a car = 1 penalty stroke

No disc over a 3 speed allowed
Players may bring no more than 3 discs

PRIVATE- INVITE ONLY! No exceptions!