• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Houghton to NAperville - shopping trip lol

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So yeah, I am going from Houghton, MI to Naperville, IL on Tuesday and hopefully the snow won't be too bad. Also, not sure I am going to have time for a round or not but I might have time to stop at a pro shop or two. I am thinking I am going to make a point of hitting up Rolling Ridge if I can get there when they're open. I'll be going through Iron Mountain, to Green Bay, around Milwaukee and on to Naperville. Any suggestions welcome.

The Vape Escape in Iron Mountain has discs. Escanaba has the Beaten Path used sports store with a huge selection, but that's out of your way unless you take 41. A couple of gas stations in Green Bay have discs, but other than that, Rollin Ridge and the Glide shop in Madison are the only pro shops I know of.

We didn't get an inch of snow during January or February here in Chicago, but of course it is coming down right now and expected to snow again tomorrow as well.

I haven't been to Knoch Knolls since they expanded it to 18. It was just OK as a 9 hole course. There are a bunch of OK course options around Naperville. If possible, your best bet would be The Canyons.

There are a few stores that sell discs in and around the Joliet area, but we don't have a real brick and mortar "pro shop" in the greater Chicagoland area right now.

I had no idea Naperville was such a hot spot for shopping. What can you get there that isn't available in the UP?

I had no idea Naperville was such a hot spot for shopping. What can you get there that isn't available in the UP?

LOL

No, I'm not going there for shopping. My daughter goes to MTU in Houghton and I am stopping in Naperville to visit family on my way home. I'm just thinking I want a couple of places to stop at to break up the long drive.

I forgot about the Riverside disc golf store in West Bend just north of Milwaukee. Big selection there, and it's not too far out of your way.

LOL

No, I'm not going there for shopping. My daughter goes to MTU in Houghton and I am stopping in Naperville to visit family on my way home. I'm just thinking I want a couple of places to stop at to break up the long drive.

Ah, disc golf shopping trip....gotcha. I guess Riverside would be an option as da Crippler mentioned. Maybe the Lemon Lake pro shop? It's not too far out of the way and you could play 1 or more courses there if you have enough time.

We didn't get an inch of snow during January or February here in Chicago, but of course it is coming down right now and expected to snow again tomorrow as well.

Yeah, bad timing!

I agree that the Canyons is your best choice for a top course near Naperville. Knoch Knolls would be better if you're looking for a quicker, easier round- nice park and good course but nothing really memorable. Lewis Universiy in Romeoville has a pretty decent 9 hole course if you're just looking for a shorter stop too.

Yeah, don't think I am going to be playing now with all the new snow and the fact I am still getting over an ankle injury so playing on slick surfaces probably not a good idea.

But yeah, like I said before...just hitting up some DG pro shops. ;)

Ah, disc golf shopping trip....gotcha. I guess Riverside would be an option as da Crippler mentioned. Maybe the Lemon Lake pro shop? It's not too far out of the way and you could play 1 or more courses there if you have enough time.

Riverside was an excellent suggestion by the way! Bought 2 discs today. :clap:

Will probably stop at Lemon Lake tomorrow when I resume my journey home.

Yes, Josh is a great guy. Glad to hear you stopped in there.

I bought a couple up there on a day trip, but was totally disappointed that I was unable to play a round at Riverside because I had my dog along for the ride. DGCR didn't have it listed as "no pets allowed" at that time and there was a cop sitting in the parking lot when I arrived. Wound up at Tendick Nature Park instead.

That's going to be a great area for disc golf. A new 21 hole course is going in just to the northwest of Riverside (Sandy Knoll Park). There will be 4 good/great courses within 20 minutes of each other.

Riverside Park
Sandy Knoll
Stoney Creek
Tendick

Did you squeeze the Lemon by the Lake?

Yes and no. I stopped but no one was there. Apparently there's a note somewhere on the building stating "give us a call and we can come unlock the store." Well, I missed that note - because there are A LOT of notes and signs on that billboard - and I left having wasted about an hour of my drive. You could say I was a tad irritated - but I got over it.

Yes and no. I stopped but no one was there. Apparently there's a note somewhere on the building stating "give us a call and we can come unlock the store." Well, I missed that note - because there are A LOT of notes and signs on that billboard - and I left having wasted about an hour of my drive. You could say I was a tad irritated - but I got over it.

Sorry to hear that. I have only been there on the weekends and never ran into an issue like you just did. I haven't been recently, but heard that things have been going slowly downhill. At least you got into Riverside.