• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How come so few top pros carry a Zone/Harp/Gator type disc?

lol tell that to every touring pro who has one,im sure none of them know how to throw well. probably just a coincidence that a pair of world champs throw overstable mids/putters. let me know when you are able to throw an understable/stable disc in 30+mph gusts and have it go where you want.

yes, there are people who do rely on stability for their arm but to say someone doesnt know how to throw well because they use one is just dumb.

I have tried them before (that being a Drone, Gator, Justice, Zone type of discs) at one time because everyone said you need one! .

Turns out, I don't. I can't think of any time in the last few years where I needed a 150-250ft shot that I couldn't use something else on. The most overstable putter/mid disc I carry is a pair of DX Rhynos, one new, one beat, (champ Rhynos are more than I need). I don't even really care much for new Rancho Rocs!

Maybe it's because one can learn a lot playing with fewer discs so some of the pros just don't need a lot of one trick pony discs. I don't know, I'm not a pro. Seems to be a newer style/trend though. I'm not saying they don't have their uses, I just think they're hurting a lot of AMs game more than helping.

this has been a topic of discussion for several years ,nothing new honestly. it all comes down to personal preference. some people like having similar molds, others like having multiple molds. no different with people who prefer discs specifically for their FH but dont use them for BH.

I'm bagging a Harp, but I almost never throw it. It's basically a pure rescue disc for me. The Envy is my workhorse driving putter and it gets used very often. I could get by very easily without the Harp

I am ready to declare overstable(everything) are pointless.

I'm bagging a Harp, but I almost never throw it. It's basically a pure rescue disc for me. The Envy is my workhorse driving putter and it gets used very often. I could get by very easily without the Harp

The humorous thing to me about all this is that for the longest time I never carried any overstable discs (admittedly, some discs that are not stable to y'all were stable to my slow arm). Now I'm using the Harp (and now AvX3), the Banshee, and sometimes a Firebird or Thunderbird... and especially the AvX3 and Banshee have been helpful to my game on the courses I play. Hmmmm, is that a phase?

Last edited:
The best putter in our group putts with a premium Harp. No telling how good he would be if he used a real putting putter.

The humorous thing to me about all this is that for the longest time I never carried any overstable discs (admittedly, some discs that are not stable to y'all were stable to my slow arm). Now I'm using the Harp (and now AvX3), the Banshee, and sometimes a Firebird or Thunderbird... and especially the AvX3 and Banshee have been helpful to my game on the courses I play. Hmmmm, is that a phase?

I think SD just said elmex doesn't have the arm to throw OS discs.

ill be the first to say super os discs are crutches and i am going to buy a wheelchair thats called the motion

i dont throw well

also im flattered you all keep track of my ITB and what else i throw it means a lot <3

ill be the first to say super os discs are crutches and i am going to buy a wheelchair thats called the motion

i dont throw well

also im flattered you all keep track of my ITB and what else i throw it means a lot <3

Hard not to know your ITB when I check the MVP thread. It's difficult to get morsels of atom/envy info with you and aim texting each other over there.

Hard not to know your ITB when I check the MVP thread. It's difficult to get morsels of atom/envy info with you and aim texting each other over there.

aww your third dig at me on this thread. glad to know i impacted your life. maybe someday you will impact mine as much as i have yours <3

aww your third dig at me on this thread. glad to know i impacted your life. maybe someday you will impact mine as much as i have yours <3

Yes, you're omnipresent in my dgcr life since I've been throwing a wasp for about a year too. Pretty much decided to drop the wasp/comet for the buzzz/buzzz ss though.

Just messin with ya. See ya on the buzzz thread.

Yes, you're omnipresent in my dgcr life since I've been throwing a wasp for about a year too. Pretty much decided to drop the wasp/comet for the buzzz/buzzz ss though.

Just messin with ya. See ya on the buzzz thread.

oh discerdoo

just dont be disappointed when you go to the buzz thread and see i recommend a wasp ;)

The only OS putter I carry is a SP Breaker and it ain't really that OS. I just use it for tight tunnels I need to FH and stay on the fairway. Don't carry a really OS mid either. Just power down a Banshee/Resistor type disc for all that jazz. I'm not a pro but I can see not bagging one unless you bag everything under the sun. On some holes they're the bee's knees but unless you're familiar enough with a hole to know that (aka a local) you're probably better off sticking with what you know, that's probably part of why pros don't carry them as much.

Primary reason that I carry a massively OS putter is that I started a FH dominant player. Right now I'm essentially just as comfortable BH as FH unless I am throwing for max D. My OS putter of choice is a Pig, but a zone or harp, etc... all fulfill the same role.

I throw my pig when I can't allow the disc to drift left on a 175-250' FH shot. Sure I can use a wizard or omega to do the same thing... but I'd much rather throw the pig and not have to worry about making sure I get every variable right on a touch shot. I throw those nuetral putters when an accidental screw up won't cost me a penalty stroke. The ability to throw your neutral to US discs on FH lines is very important, but I'll take a "crutch" to make sure I execute a simple shot that comes is often as a player who throws a good portion of their shots FH.

If I never threw FH I would still love my Pig for BH headwind Putts/upshots. While I don't NEED to use it every round, it's nice to have and saves me strokes every time out.

Latest posts