• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How come so few top pros carry a Zone/Harp/Gator type disc?

I'm on team Big Jerm with the AviarX3/Mortar combo. While the Zone is popular for a reason, I like having the slower speed of the AviarX3. I can power up on it for a longer straight shot if I want, but it is magical on short technical approaches/scrambles.

I wish the AX3 was more overstable, thats my only complaint about the disc.

I wish the AX3 was more overstable, thats my only complaint about the disc.

My preferred plastic is Luster because it is most OS in this mold. In the cold weather I use a first run Star because it's softer, but it's definitely less high speed stable.

I also tried the XT over the winter and it was surprisingly overstable, but who knows how long that would last. Didn't make the bag anyways.

I'm on team Big Jerm with the AviarX3/Mortar combo. While the Zone is popular for a reason, I like having the slower speed of the AviarX3. I can power up on it for a longer straight shot if I want, but it is magical on short technical approaches/scrambles.

I use a similar setup, breaker + drone. I use the breaker for most FH approaches, the drone is really only for when I need to get a huge fade or flex

I think more pros are carrying an overstable approach disc these days, they are just more consistent across more conditions. And when you're trying to get up and down, that dependability is key.

Pig and mortar for me, although the mortar rarely makes it out of the truck.

I bagged a zone for 10 years and eventually decided I needed something a little slower. The pig opened up a lot of possibilities for me. I was hoping that Rick throwing them would make them more available, I'm still hoping.

The zone is still a great disc, and the availability of all the different plastic options now is awesome. I doubt I will go back to it though.

Maybe we should change this thread now to; which pros don't carry a slow over-stable disc.
Barsby, Philo, M.J.?

Maybe we should change this thread now to; which pros don't carry a slow over-stable disc.
Barsby, Philo, M.J.?

Barsby and MJ carry them - Rhyno and Ringer GT. Maybe not the glideless overstable like a stego or justice but still overstable none the less

Barsby and MJ carry them - Rhyno and Ringer GT. Maybe not the glideless overstable like a stego or justice but still overstable none the less

I forget they have OS putters and that it is Barsby with his clear Champion Rhyno the way another Innova sponsored player or Garret Gurthie sponsored by Infinite does with his blue one. Then it is really just Philo trying to use a new DX ROC or KC Pro ROC for the OS approach shot and not an OS putter or OS putter shaped midrange.

Last edited:
I forget they have OS putters and that it is Barsby with his clear Champion Rhyno the way another Innova sponsored player or Garret Gurthie sponsored by Infinite does with his blue one. Then it is really just Philo trying to use a new DX ROC or KC Pro ROC for the OS approach shot and not an OS putter or OS putter shaped midrange.

Not a lot in this post is correct aside from you successfully naming disc golfers.

Calvin Heimburg uses the clear Champ Rhyno, not Barsby.
Barsby uses Dx Rhynos
Gurthie is sponsored by Innova (not sure what his current standing is with Infinite) and I'm pretty sure he bags an AviarX3.
Philo uses a Champion Roc of some kind for the described shot, not a fresh KC/Dx

A2 is becoming my favorite disc. I throw it a lot on FH flex approaches. Something I can do with this type of disc I couldn't do with others is what I call a whirly bird. Basically fh it almost straight vertical over the top of obstacles, really high, and letting it helicopter down. Way more comfy than a get out of jail thumber.

Not a lot in this post is correct aside from you successfully naming disc golfers.

Calvin Heimburg uses the clear Champ Rhyno, not Barsby.
Barsby uses Dx Rhynos
Gurthie is sponsored by Innova (not sure what his current standing is with Infinite) and I'm pretty sure he bags an AviarX3.
Philo uses a Champion Roc of some kind for the described shot, not a fresh KC/Dx

I thouht Barsby used a Champion Rhyno either clear or blue and another pro used Clear or blue Champion Rhyno. Not DX

Well I was going off the Pro site for Innova with Philo so it was old info as they need to update the site, Spider is not made currently, Shark 3 Still being made, SO the Site had it saying he used a KC Pro ROC for putting approach. all I know is he uses some form of ROC/3 for approach that is not that soft or a putter for OS shots so it bounces for his approach.

Thanks for fixing my stupid mistakes.

Zone has gone from "no top pros throws Discraft Zone" to every Discraft pro throws the Zone in 2y

The "Zone throw" is the biggest change in Pauls game after the move. . .

Yeah, McBeth's even got ODRB throwing a Zone now. Rumor is that he'll soon be switching out his 8 rocks for a single 5x Buzzz and even putting a Luna in his bag for a thrower. Hell, he can probably just use a nutsack now that he's cleared out all those rocks. 😬

I too have also found this fascinating. The craziest to me is how Nate Sexton, who throws a lot of forehands, does not use a low speed overstable disc for shorter forehands. For example on hole 17 at Winthrop, a 215' downhill shot he throws a firebird. In my experience that shot is so much easier with a zone or pig, especially if you want it to hit and stick.

sexton bags and often flicks the morter.

lol.... i didnt notice i quoted someone from 2018

I'm like 99% RHBH. I occasionally flick if I have to. The Entropy holds a permenant spot in my bag. 250' and in, I can rip that disc HARD and it will go dead straight til the last minute when it fades. To me that flat hard straight shot with late fade is vital to the game. In the woods, it's a get out of jail free disc - flex lines, hard hyzers, etc. Saved my butt from many bad situations.

Latest posts