• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How common is power gripping approach shots?

Been playing for 3 years and still haven't found a grip, that doesn't feel like shit in the hand. I've got them long skinny piano type of fingers and nothing really feels comfortable.

Feel free to throw suggestions my way
I think Gannon and Eagle also have longgg fingies. Maybe try to get a glimpse of their grips on footage when there's a good view.

Although I think they both power grip but I think maybe cannon kinda of stacks and locks the knuckles of some of the back fingers close to the rim but but curling around the rim but I'm not sure.

I think to some degree you just have to force yourself to get used to it and then it will begin to feel comfortable. The advice of do whatever is comfortable is often good but usually omits the fact that some things become comfortable after practice and don't start out as comfortable and you won't discover that unless you try it for a while.

I have large, thin, hands, and used to power grip everything. Last year I experimented with various grips and settled on what I call a modified power grip. It's close to what others call a modified fan grip, but mine is very close to a traditional power grip, with slight fanning of the middle and ring finger. Probably close to what others are calling a power fan grip. I just find I get the benefits of the power grip with more control due to the fanning of some fingers. Also the thumb is a touch more towards the center of the flight plate than it used to be with my power grip. I find I have the best control, with no loss in power.

My hands are bigger than average and I power grip everything except for putting obviously. For deep molds (like an Aviar) I have slightly different pressure on the grip and have it a little bit looser as Aviars will get some OAT when gripping them too tightly on a throw and with the looser grip they release slightly earlier which causes me to modify my stance a bit. I also throw my approach shots from a slightly more open stand still position. I guess if one takes a different stance when approaching grip changes also make sense as they affect where and when the disc gets released.

For those who modify their grips, do you use it with your standard standstill stance or do you modify the stance with the grip?

Been going more towards a modified type of fan grip with my thumb towards the center with most everything. My regular rotation discs (innova) all have what I can reach of the foil with my thumb in varying states of getting worn off.

The fan grip I use for all shots inside, say 150ft, is the same grip I use to putt with. So I use the same grip for everything inside 150ft, and the same grip for all shots outside that (power).

I didn't start doing this with the fan grip until maybe 5 or so years ago. I have a suspicion that it has strengthened the pop and power in my putt, because I have been practicing that fan grip approach shots a lot, and strengthening that grip from throwing has also strengthened my putting.

Food for thought...

My hands are bigger than average and I power grip everything except for putting obviously. For deep molds (like an Aviar) I have slightly different pressure on the grip and have it a little bit looser as Aviars will get some OAT when gripping them too tightly on a throw and with the looser grip they release slightly earlier which causes me to modify my stance a bit. I also throw my approach shots from a slightly more open stand still position. I guess if one takes a different stance when approaching grip changes also make sense as they affect where and when the disc gets released.

For those who modify their grips, do you use it with your standard standstill stance or do you modify the stance with the grip?

I've noticed while watching pros many times on approach standstills that their front foot is more open. Probably because of the earlier release like you said they need to be more open towards the target to compensate.

The fan grip I use for all shots inside, say 150ft, is the same grip I use to putt with. So I use the same grip for everything inside 150ft, and the same grip for all shots outside that (power).

I didn't start doing this with the fan grip until maybe 5 or so years ago. I have a suspicion that it has strengthened the pop and power in my putt, because I have been practicing that fan grip approach shots a lot, and strengthening that grip from throwing has also strengthened my putting.

Food for thought...
This makes a lot of sense. When I was working on my putting form, I would jump putt from ~75-100ft to get a better idea of what was happening and then dial it back from there. I think emphasizing all aspects—including wrist/hand movement and grip—from a greater distance makes it much easier to feel what is happening when you're in the circle.

Initially, starting close and moving back felt intuitive, but doing it the other way around was much more effective for me.

For me: it's essentially the same modified power grip regardless of type of disc, or whether or not the throw is from standstill or drives. Also doesn't change for upshots or longer throws.

If you can power grip a wrench...

rip torn dodgeball GIF

For me: it's essentially the same modified power grip regardless of type of disc, or whether or not the throw is from standstill or drives. Also doesn't change for upshots or longer throws.
Do you also change your stance for upshots?

Do you also change your stance for upshots?
I do. I tend to either a) have both feet parallel to each other for shorter throws, similar to what Seppo Paju taught, and b) the more staggered stance for longer throws and standstill drives. The lead foot is typically at a 90 degree angle, relative to the direction of the throw, with the rear foot somewhat parallel in the straddle stance, and a little more pointed back for the staggered stance.

Having thrown regular frisbees for years before taking up disc golf I prefer the fan grip for precision approaches. I will switch to a power grip if the distance is at the end of my range for my fan grip so I eliminate the errors that can happen with a full power throw.

Latest posts