• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I train my dog not to chase and catch my discs?

blakis21

How do I train my dog not to chase and catch my discs? I have never taken him and I'm new to the sport. I have seen dogs on the course that just stay by the owner.

I just told my dog no at an early age and haven't thought about it since. Oh and he has been jacked by one once so he pretty much just avoids them. I guess I could be lucky though.

Take him outside, not to the course, and try the "NO!" when you are throwing around. I wouldn't start by designating a "dog" disc, it should learn to never go after a disc until you tell it to. Make him/her sit next to you while u throw around, maybe involve a practice basket? Give treats for good behavior and I think the best policy is to work on sitting right next to you..

If you are comfortable with your progress prior to going to the course, I say leash him/her up and do a round, get a feel for how the dog will act when it isn't just you two one-on-one.

I have an 8lb Chiuhuhua Pomeranian mix that decided to chase a wriath, when it started fading it nailed him in the ribs at a high speed. He never chased a disc again, but now he barks and growls when I am driving.

Now lookit here son, either put some vinegar on the discs, or spray him with some vinegar when he chases.

Just gotta keep tellin' them no. I made the mistake of giving my bulldog a disc heh...so then she would attack all my putters when I was practicing. Finally after a while, she knows what is hers and she knows that she is not allowed to chew mine...but she will stand on them and guard them so I cant get them heh.

Just glad she doesn't chew them anymore...cuz she can literally chew through one in seconds. Jaws of fury

practice practice practice.

Your dog will do anything you want if you take your time an be patient while training. When I got my lab, I played a ton of rounds just him and I before I was comfortable taking him out in a group.

#1 priority should be to ensure he listens to you while you are NOT holding the leash. I like to think that Floyd is always attached to my verbal leash.

#2 priority should be for your dog to sit and stay while you or someone else in your group is throwing.

When we are playing, all I have to say now is "Floyd, back up." His response is to get behind me and sit as quickly as possible.

It also helps to keep them interested in chasing sticks or some kind of ball that you bring along so that your dog wants "his toy" instead of your discs.

I see a lot of suggestions revolving around using negative reinforcement tactics (saying NO, using vinegar), which are fine to use, however this is only half of the steps I think you might want to take. Don't forget to REWARD for good behavior! When your dog doesn't run after the disc, give him a treat. A lot of canine obedience instructors these days (I was myself years ago) will tell you to completely ignore the bad behavior and reward the good.

^^^ good point... it makes intuitive sense to focus on the good over the bad

I say, if you put vinegar on the disc he just won't like it, and not likely to do it again, thats not negative reinforcement. Although positive reinforcement is good.

I see a lot of suggestions revolving around using negative reinforcement tactics (saying NO, using vinegar), which are fine to use, however this is only half of the steps I think you might want to take. Don't forget to REWARD for good behavior! When your dog doesn't run after the disc, give him a treat. A lot of canine obedience instructors these days (I was myself years ago) will tell you to completely ignore the bad behavior and reward the good.

Yup. This is the best way to house train them. Get mad at them and beat them all you want when they go in the house...and they will just do it when you not looking instead. IGNORE when they go in the house..and reward them outside...DONE.

Prerube; Sorry, that's not a dog......that's a barking cat! I know you love'em anyway.

I say, if you put vinegar on the disc he just won't like it, and not likely to do it again, thats not negative reinforcement. Although positive reinforcement is good.

i might not like it either after vinegar bathing my disc... have a bag full o vinegar, hands reak o vinegar, vinegar aces... ew, might lower my desire to play..

A little story followed by some tips...

I have a 1.5yrs old yellow lab, but when she was about 6mo. old I wasn't paying attention to her and she snuck over and pulled one of my Wizards out of the putter pocket before I realized what happened she destroyed it.

She got a one way ticket on the train to beat down city. Def didn't go Mike Vick on her but she's a dog and can handle a good swat on the ass. So don't get all PETA on me. Any who...I can leave my bag on the floor now without worry.

OK so my advice is make sure your dog is a master of the "sit" and "stay" command and make him/her "sit" and "stay" at every teepad and stay sitting until everyone is finished throwing. It might take a few rounds or some positive reinforcement but keep at it dogs NEED repetition.

And second bring a toy for them. Dogs are like children when they get bored that's when they start to disobey. I'd pick something throw-able, but def not a frisbee and I'd hesitate to bring a ball, even though the size is different just the fact that it's round and could be of similar color would just cause too much confusion.

Did I mention repetition? It's taken about 2mo. but my dog now sits and stays at every teepad at any course without command, never chases discs. Will just get the occasional bark out of her now and then which I can live with.

There is somthing called SOUR APPLE you put on stuff (or on them to keep them from licking their fur off) put it on an old disc ,they'll hate the taste and wont mouth them .

@hooked312: Hilarious.

I've seen some people train their dogs to chase 1 specific beater that you can have them retrieve while you are throwing. How you go about that is your problem. I'm an idea guy.

When we first got Peanut, she really wanted to chase the discs. We put hot sauce on a disc once, she ran to it, picked it up, made an awful face, then never picked up another disc again. The suggestions about bringing a toy or ball to throw while you're on the course are good too, the more you keep the dog working and interested in something, the less likely they are to get into trouble.