• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you get 500+ throws??????

Wich disc is best for flat distance speed drives around 300-500ft ?

• Total voters
This has nothing to do with the double s-turn throw.

my weirdest throw ==>>> IT WAS 300ft

Once i threw an flx surge 168g and i threw it 50 ft high and it faded for 2 seconds but then it just took offffffffffffffff to the right.:confused:

:eek:SO I THREW IT THEN IT FADED to the left THEN IT TURNED OVER to the right and hit the ground after some seconds after it had faded to the left LOL.

my explanation is that it was windy but not close to the ground only the disc felt the wind not me. SO probably it was the wind that turned my disc over after the fading.

This has nothing to do with the double s-turn throw.

my weirdest throw ==>>> IT WAS 300ft

Once i threw an flx surge 168g and i threw it 50 ft high and it faded for 2 seconds but then it just took offffffffffffffff to the right.:confused:

:eek:SO I THREW IT THEN IT FADED to the left THEN IT TURNED OVER to the right and hit the ground after some seconds after it had faded to the left LOL.

my explanation is that it was windy but not close to the ground only the disc felt the wind not me. SO probably it was the wind that turned my disc over after the fading.

Faded, or was hyzered? I think that's what this "double S" comes down to...throwing something that will hold a hyzer for a bit before turning over...which is most easily done if you have OAT and a high release. This will make it hyzer left, turn over and go right, then fade back left (for RHBH).

Wind can also cause it like you suggest, but the disc would have to be flying at just under turn over speed without the wind, then catch a wind gust.

You could say that double-S is like this ....:If you could turn over a wraith when thrown high it whould turn over even more when thrown down.So if you throw for ex. a valkyrie 165g or less it turns over when thrown high but when it starts to go down it`s like you throw it down because it has spin left from the release to slightly turn over again.
fade don`t every time mean it faded to the ground,it could also flaten out to the left when thrown big hyzerbomb and forceing it to go to the left but it wants to go right.

I don't think the effect of gravity on a disc is that strong.

Umm.. Gravity has the same effect on everything. Things like disc density, shape, speed... will alter how long the disc stays in the air. Its how the discs get their ratings - Its why my katana is always going to fly further than my sidewinder with identical throws.

I've never actually seen this "double S", unless you count when you rip an understable disc hyzer and it turns then comes back later.

As long as the objects have the same mass with the same distance between the objects.

Gravity is unaffected by mass. Remember from high school science that a marble and a bowling ball dropped off the top of a building will hit the ground at the same time.

Gravity is unaffected by mass. Remember from high school science that a marble and a bowling ball dropped off the top of a building will hit the ground at the same time.

^ this, Now turn that marble into a feather... gravity still has the same effect on them both, but because of wind resistance of the feather counteracting the gravity acting on it it falls slower.

You're talking about acceleration. If acceleration is always the same and the mass changes, how can the force not change? If the force is different, how can you really say it's affecting objects the same way?

F = GmM/(r^2)

For the disc to fall the force of gravity has to be greater than the lift. The force of gravity is smaller for lighter discs while the lift is the same.

If you make a paper airplane and then an exact replica out of steel and launch them at the same speed, which do you think will fly farther? The lift will be the same for both because it's a function of how the air is flowing over the planes (the dimensions and air speed are the same), but the heavier plane will fall faster. If it's not gravity acting different for the heavier object, what's the other force causing the heavier plane not to fly as far?

F = ma, m = mass, a = acceleration

In this case, a = g, where g is the accelration due to gravity. For a given altitude (here we go...) g is constant, therefore, F is directly proportional to m. Increase mass, increase force. Since a given disc has the same shape regardless of mass (because the density is changed) the lift and aerodynamic drag forces are the same for a given linear and rotational velocity.

Therefore, in theory, a lighter disc will fly farther than a heavier one. But, a lighter disc is more influenced by wind because the force (and force changes) due to the wind and fluctuations, be it head, cross, or otherwise, can accellerate the disc "off course" since it has the lighter mass, more so than a heavy one.

I sound like my physics professor...

Last edited:

This is true, but remember, this was later proven to be true only in the absence of air resistance. From a low building, they would land at the same time (or so close that the eye couldn't tell). From a few miles up, the terminal velocities would be different as the aerodynamic drag would be different.

The bigger ball would fall faster...

F = ma, m = mass, a = acceleration

In this case, a = g, where g is the accelration due to gravity. For a given altitude (here we go...) g is constant, therefore, F is directly proportional to m. Increase mass, increase force. Since a given disc has the same shape regardless of mass (because the density is changed) the lift and aerodynamic drag forces are the same for a given linear and rotational velocity.

Therefore, in theory, a lighter disc will fly farther than a heavier one. But, a lighter disc is more influenced by wind because the force (and force changes) due to the wind and fluctuations, be it head, cross, or otherwise, can accellerate the disc "off course" since it has the lighter mass, more so than a heavy one.

I sound like my physics professor...

This is true... But we're losing track of where this came from... g IS constant and discs are affected by it in the same way as anything else

I actually just ordered a 150 putter knowing that it would fly farther than my 170+'s but be more susceptible to wind and such.

But anyway - you throw 500+ feet by having awesome form, a capable disc, and just being able to really crank that disc... amirite!? :D

You're talking about acceleration. If acceleration is always the same and the mass changes, how can the force not change? If the force is different, how can you really say it's affecting objects the same way?

F = GmM/(r^2)

For the disc to fall the force of gravity has to be greater than the lift. The force of gravity is smaller for lighter discs while the lift is the same.

If you make a paper airplane and then an exact replica out of steel and launch them at the same speed, which do you think will fly farther? The lift will be the same for both because it's a function of how the air is flowing over the planes (the dimensions and air speed are the same), but the heavier plane will fall faster. If it's not gravity acting different for the heavier object, what's the other force causing the heavier plane not to fly as far?

You are correct, I am talking about acceleration.

Acceleration of a disc towards the ground is the only variable that affects how much time it takes for a disc to reach the ground. How far it travels in that time depends on many variables. Wind resistance plays a big role. There are two main kinds of wind resistance, wind resistance opposing the downward force and wind resistance opposite the direction of the throw. Wind resistance opposing the downward force of gravity will slow an object's acceleration to the ground and cause it to stay in the air longer. Wind resistance opposite the direction of the throw will slow the speed of the disc and cause it to travel less distance. This is where aerodynamics comes in. The more aerodynamic a disc is, the less wind resistance there is opposing the direction of the flight and thus the farther it will fly.

You are correct, technically the force acting on a disc is dependent on is mass. Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, (GMm/r2), states this. However, the difference in the mass of a disc and the mass of the earth is so great that a difference of a few grams, or a few tons for that matter, is so insignificant that it is essentially zero.

This is true... But we're losing track of where this came from... g IS constant and discs are affected by it in the same way as anything else.
But the force gravity is exerting on different weight discs is different. Because discs are specifically designed to have lift, the force gravity exerts is much more important than the accelertion due to gravity.

If it's not gravity acting different for the heavier object, what's the other force causing the heavier plane not to fly as far?
Density? The steel plane is far more dense than the paper airplane, gravity is still exerting the same force on them both.

Gents, F=ma. a, in this case, is the acceleration due to gravity, a constant 9.81 m/s^2 at sea level. It's not a variable. F is the variable, proportional to m, the mass. Mass up, force up, mass down, force down.

Density? The steel plane is far more dense than the paper airplane, gravity is still exerting the same force on them both.

The reason that two object of exact same dimensions but with different masses fall at different rates is wind resistance. The two objects will experience the same wind resistance, but it will affect them differently. Let's say that there is 5 N of force due to wind resistance opposing a falling objects. The heavier object will have more force as it is falling. This is why a bowling ball hurts worse than a marble if they hit your toe with the same speed. The 5 N resisting force of the wind will slow the heavier object less than the lighter one.

Gents, F=ma. a, in this case, is the acceleration due to gravity, a constant 9.81 m/s^2 at sea level. It's not a variable. F is the variable, proportional to m, the mass. Mass up, force up, mass down, force down.

I was referring to the acceleration of the disc which is affected by wind resistance.

The reason that two object of exact same dimensions but with different masses fall at different rates is wind resistance. The two objects will experience the same wind resistance, but it will affect them differently. Let's say that there is 5 N of force due to wind resistance opposing a falling objects. The heavier object will have more force as it is falling. This is why a bowling ball hurts worse than a marble if they hit your toe with the same speed. The 5 N resisting force of the wind will slow the heavier object less than the lighter one.

Well stated, with an example we can all relate to. Ouch!