• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long before you could throw a nice long drive?

^Stop throwing it like a Frisbee, and start snapping that thing! It needs to spin fast to go far. Get a Mamba in the upper 150s low 160s and you will increase distance. Or if Mamba is too much disc, try a Diamond. If you don't already, start working out. Simple stuff: pushups, pullups, curls and crunches.

Last edited:
I progressed from the 230-250 range at the beginning to around 260-290 relatively quickly and after that, the gains were more gradual and far between. It was hard to be patient but I've realized that for me that's just the way it is. At 3 1/2 years playing I'm still gaining ground ever-so-slowly out to around 330 to 350 on a good rip. At my age, I'll probably never reach 400.

The funny thing is my distance increases have not necessarily resulted in better scores overall. Sure there are a couple of holes I'm now capable of deucing where I previously could not drive to within a putt, but to better my scores overall, my putting and upshots need to improve.

^Stop throwing it like a Frisbee, and start snapping that thing! It needs to spin fast to go far. Get a Mamba in the upper 150s low 160s and you will increase distance. Or if Mamba is too much disc, try a Diamond. If you don't already, start working out. Simple stuff: pushups, pullups, curls and crunches.

Haha, ouch... point taken on the working out part, although I'm surprised "Eat your Wheaties" didn't make it in there too. :)

Actually, I'm experimenting with a new xstep that seems to be working pretty well so far.

Also, when you learn to throw farther, the downside is also true. Your misses can be that much farther offline. Power's good, but only in the right direction.

Actually, I'm experimenting with a new xstep that seems to be working pretty well so far.

I completely did away with my x-step for a while when I realized it wasn't adding power and was just complicating my throw. Once I could throw effectively (smoothness and timing wise, not distance) I added the x-step back in for drives but only because I found that once the other parts of my throw were somewhat in place, the x-step helped keep my timing consistent.

I can still throw almost as far from a stand-still, and usually do once I'm on the fairway. Hitting my lie with an x-step without foot faulting once again complicates my throw for very little gain. I know, I know ........most casual players don't worry about PDGA rules but I'm an "according to Hoyle" kinda guy. I don't impose my standards on my card mates in casual rounds though. ;)

I've been playing for about two years now. I can throw around 280' on a good drive and probably a 250' average. What is good to do is reflect on where you were. I remember when I could only throw 50 feet and the disc would not fly straight at all. Now I can throw much farther than anyone just starting to pick up the game. I would like to throw further, but I think I might be satisfied with 300' just because I could throw faster than a football field. I've seen the pros play the game and many of them drive and putt and hardly ever use the middle game. They can throw 400' plus and sometimes the baskets are 400'-650' feet out. If the holes were only 300' and not made longer would we have the hunger to throw further than 300'? What about enjoying the middle game?

It's easy.

Go old skool. Buy an Aero. Go play several rounds. I think It's a 5 speed. Learn to make it go straight, left and right. Then. Get an old roc, ( San Marino) do the same. Then a Viper, do the same. At this point your ahead of most players. It really is that simple. A lot of work and not easy quickie. But instructions are easy. After you have the viper down you'll know what kind of arm speed you. Then it's not so easy. But still fun as $hit

I use forehand, and was able to get a nice drive before I was able to make a putt from within ten feet. The main issue for my drive is control. Bad throws often had my disc shaking before it left my hand, which made it completely unpredictable.

Pretty long

Started in summer of 2021 and started with a consistency of 230 feet. Now i have a consistency of 310 feet. Took me until march 2nd to hit 382 feet with a prime breakout. I had a 417 feet throw with the shryke but the wind helped and i used a distance driver so i couldnt count it (also my forehand record is 283 feet)

(Heres some tips from my eyes and opinion)

One way i recommend to start throwing far is watching a absolute load of youtube videos on dg form and distance tips

A second way is to focus on FORM and make sure its good, bad form can hurt your ability. This is very important.

A third way is to practice with putters and midranges. Try to make them both hit 250 with consistency and maybe even hit 300 with a midrange at least once. After that make your fairways hit 300 with consistency and try to make it to 350 with consistency (im working on this). After this try your distance drivers and make those bad boys fly

A fourth way is to have a beginners mindset (eagle said this and it seems very helpful), try to find all the things you can do to improve form

Another way is to be patient and dont give up, you cant just throw 300 feet off the bat (unless your a god or just very talented). Either way try to tell yourself youll get there one day

One last way is to have fun doing it. If you enjoy it, it will stick to you for a long time, and help you throughout your sessions

Also try to stick with the same discs and not throw new ones. I know this sounds terrible but knowing your discs lines would help very much.

I love disc golf thats why its long lol