• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long before you could throw a nice long drive?

get a slow smooth shot then your snap and speed will develop. practice keeping the disc flat then adjust the angle to get it where you want to go

took me about 3 months

Last edited:
about one to two weeks for me,
i picked up the game fairly quick

I started playing again in February 2008 on Superbowl Sunday (before the game of course). I became obsessed with the game and by April I was throwing 270' (90 yards on a local football field) max with a beast. I found a wraith that I could not throw because it would curve hard left. My wife got me the Scott Stokely distance video and a 175G Champion Destroyer for my birthday on May 9. I watched the video, went to the football field and threw 330' (110 yards). The Scott Stokely technique added 60 feet instantly!

Now I've been playing for 6 months and I can consistently throw 360' straight (375' with a run up). Most people I play with that have been playing for years can't throw that far. If I was in better shape and younger I'd probably be over 400' by now.

I can't believe I wrote this a year ago. I still have the same destroyer and can hit 460' with it if I have room and a good teebox. The main trick I use now is continuous acceleration, which deserves it's own fresh thread because it's probably the most important distance secret and the least understood.

Thanks for dredging up this old thread.

its all about finding the right disc to start with. I went from throwing 200ft hooks and putter tomahawks for years to throwing 300ft in one day all because of a 163 QJLS. Find something you can throw straight first and work the rest out later.

I can't believe I wrote this a year ago. I still have the same destroyer and can hit 460' with it if I have room and a good teebox. The main trick I use now is continuous acceleration, which deserves it's own fresh thread because it's probably the most important distance secret and the least understood.

Thanks for dredging up this old thread.

Couple good points here, Mr. Winding.

A good tee box. I'd like to see some sort of uniformity to tee box design. Level is a good start....cracked and broken boxes are a pain. Short boxes with dips or low spots around the pad kinda suck....ya try a longer walk up x step and stumble ....the tee pad should really be flat, level and not a hazard to follow thru off of. just my opinion.

Acceleration into and thru the hit is another topic. The feeling of slowing down at the hit is a bummer. I do a little jig or a couple of false runups when I feel like my legs aren't driving the rest of my body. Long waits between shots affect my timing. I try and think of boxers warming up....those guys know how to keep the nerve endings clicking.

i'd say buy a buzzz and throw it off the tee, it shouldn't be long and it'll seem that 250 is easy to over drive, they glide really nice, wont cut hyzer onya too quick

dont know what your throwing, but if you cant get any disc over 200, you need to work with putters and midranges, they should go that far pretty easy, drivers will come with time

lol, you really love that Buzzz, don't you MotoDj? Every post by you is like "Buy a Buzzz, their glide is INCREDIBLE! I dream about riding the Buzzz like Aladin rode his carpet They're that awesome!"

sorry elementZ, i guess i do,
its magical i say, i've seen alot of people throw buzzz's as far as their drivers
even us noobs who cant throw bombs, easy to learn with...

but for you sir I'll stop

I found that Ultimate's Flicks translate very well into forehand drives. Coming from that background, I can flick around 300 ft. All I had to do was change my grip from middle finger on the rim, and pointer supporting the middle to both fingers on the rim. Once I did that I converted a 200-250 flick (first week) to a 300-325 flick (2nd week).

But the way I learned how to throw a flick accurately was to play catch with an ultrastar. You do have to take my advise with a grain of salt because I did learn how to throw an ultrastar before a golf disc. At first they would fly to far the the left, or they were not flat enough. But practice throwing them 50 feet to another person really helps accuracy because you will get in allot of throws before you guys call it quits.

Now the utrastar does mess me up when I go to throw a golf disc. They don't fly the same, and the goal of them is to float so people can catch them. But it will give you the practice and the form to throw a flick farther, and straighter.

Backhand I have started throwing around 150-175. They don't throw like an ultimate disc at all. I have a nasty habit of air bouncing the disc. The disc does go up pretty high. That is just where the power goes. After a month, and learning the x-step I have gotten my throw to an accurate 190-210. I got some wonderful advise on how to transfer my weight when I do the x-step, and follow through. Just with the follow through I was throwing about 230ish, but that isn't my range until I master it. 9 baskets don't count as always throwing that distance.

I have thrown over 350 ft before. Once. On a 275 hole, I threw as hard as I could, sailed past the basket. The lake is around 30-45 feet pasted the basket, and it went out around 30-40 feet. There was a gator snorting at me when I got close. Didn't see the gator, but it is nesting time, and I am not going to to risk it. Goodbye AvengerSS.

I didn't even throw a driver until a month after I started the game, but I was throwing Rocs 250 from day 1. Once I bought myself a Valkyrie, I could get that 300ish. Slowly over time I picked up another 20' of distance. Last year, I started throwing field practice and picked up 50' of distance fairly rapidly. I didn't really work at it for my first 4 years of playing, though. Everything I did for the first 4 years was play courses. I became much better at shot making and course management but didn't pick up D until I started to work that angle.

It was 3 years before I learned how to turn a disc over, I have been throwing all discs flat. Maybe now I will start getting some distance.

thumbers are for lawn-dart enthusiasts. :thmbdown:

learn how to throw a putter. learn to throw a putter 300' and youll be able to get your fairway drivers out to 350' and distance drivers to 400' (and better learn disc physics that will give you better perspective on the game overall in the long run.;)).

This article put alot about distance into perspective for me. Shedding Distance Myths by Blake Takkunen Posted: 2-28-06. How far are people throwing, really.

This line from the article... "Mastering the distance anhyzer/turnover is one of the easiest ways to push your throw farther."

The distance anhyzer recently helped me to increase my distance. I use a better form and about 80% power... increased my distance about 60 feet. I couldn't believe it the first time it happened, but even my old arm could keep throwing farther all day because I didn't exert myself as much. My accuracy increased too!

Keep working on your form... don't try to throw so far and you'll be surprised when "it" happens. I know I was.

i messed up my shoulder late last year and havent been the same since. i just recently changed my throw and lost distance but gained accuracy. my mid game is really good though so it counteracts my crappy 250ish drives

I'm still waiting to throw my first nice long straight drive...I keep going back out every day or so to try it out...I'm convinced that my next throw will be the one...honest!

shark ill believe that when i play with you.

Whittier Narrows. 9:00 AM. Tomorrow.

Heh, sorry. Just read this. I don't get to play whenever I want to anymore. Due to failing vision, the DMV won't let me drive. I only get to go to the course when a friend of mine wants to go out. This is typically about once a week. We play Oak Grove, Sylmar and Chavez Ridge. When I was still driving, I got in La Mirada and Huntington.

My distance has been fluctuating alot lately but I can still throw 330-350. A couple weeks ago I hyzerflipped a 170g Pro Katana to 380'. The thing was it never got higher than about 4' off the ground. I'm having serious issues with nose up and so I'm mucking with my technique until I get that fixed.

I found the most drastic change in my BH distance when I finally got the concept of letting the disc "rip" out of my hand. You've probably heard that term thrown around, but when it finally comes to you, you'll realize exactly what it means.

I was in a similar boat as you for a while up until relatively recently, when I "disc'd down" and worked on my technique, mostly driving with Buzzzes instead of max distance drivers. What I found is that in an attempt to get spin on the disc, I would just try and flick my wrist a lot and open my fingers to let go of the disc. Big mistake. While some wrist flick is necessary for big distance, don't pay a lot of attention to it at first. Instead, focus on the disc rotating at the end of your throw in the last split second that it is in your hand, then just let it FLING out of your hand by the power of its own centrifugal force. This will leave the disc spinning faster out of your hand, and it is easier to shoot a straight shot than if you were trying to use your wrist to generate the spin.

Like I said, I just recently started ratcheting up my BH drives, so still understand where you're coming from. Hopefully that little piece of advice helps.

Latest posts