• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How To Beat It In

VajraChild

I've been playing for several years and have gotten to be decent. There are two things keeping me from kicking it up to the next level: my imperfect form and my plastic fetish. The form I plan to work on this season. Study some instructional articles and videos and work on this thing from the ground up. The plastic fetish...well, that's a little harder to overcome.

I don't buy every new thing that comes out, and I don't spend a truly inordinate amount of cash on discs. But I'll stick with one thing for awhile and then convince myself I need to try something else, something shiner that might just clear up all my issues. This doesn't clear up my issues, of course; it makes them worse because I don't really get to know my discs well. So I've decided to work on that this season, too.

My deepest plastic fetish is with midranges. I throw them about 300', my fairway drivers about 330', and my distance drivers around 350'. Since there's not much difference between them (hence the form problems), the midranges are the core of my game. I use them more than any other discs in my bag. I've worked with Buzzzes, Meteors, Cores, Fuses, Pains, Kites, Stingrays, Truths, Wasps, and Hornets. For awhile I used the Wasp/Buzzz/Meteor combo, which did okay. Then I moved to Pain/Core/Fuse but the only one of that rig I really love is the Fuse. So it's staying. Right now I'm using the Wasp/Truth/Fuse but that's not great. The Truth is a little too stable to be my straight flyer and the Fuse, while fantastic at what it does, is too flippy to be my workhorse. I've got a Buzzz in there, too, but I've never done amazing things with it.

The one thing I've never really experimented with is Rocs. In the interest of minimalism, I'm thinking of making them my only midrange (plus my beloved Fuse). I've narrowed my distance drivers down to just a SOLF and a SOLS; my fairway drivers to 2 Preds, 3 Teebirds, and a Leo. If I can just use a few Rocs and a Fuse, my bag will be a clean, compact space and I can really work on getting to know the plastic I use.

But it occurs to me I really don't know how to cycle discs. I have a very overstable Z Pred for hurricanes and an ESP that covers massive anny flex shots. A heavy Champ Teebird for normal wind and lines, a Star for straight duty, and a beat up DX for hyzer flips. Plus a lightly beat DX Leo for left to right shots. But how to beat up Rocs?

Do you just throw the ones you want to beat up every shot? Do you throw your normal shot and then hyzer spike a Roc to loosen it up? Do you smash it into the chains on every hole? How does it happen? Especially if you'd like to do it kind of quickly. I'd like a Star Rancho or Roc3 for overstable duty and then one DX for straight and one DX for slightly understable.

I apologize if this is a stupid question. I searched around but couldn't find anything specific on this topic.

It really takes time, love and patience to properly season a disc. The natural impacts they experience affect flight characteristics more favorably than beating them up on purpose; that just seems to make them lose all of their high speed stability and become flippy pieces of crap.

One thing that helps break in discs nicely is leaving them outside in the backyard. Daytime and night time. Just let them hang out in the yard for a few weeks. The sunlight and elements do something good for them, especially dx discs it seems.

The only discs I own right now are 10 gazelles and 3 aviars. How's that for minimalism?

Beating in is a slow process. I know a lot of people who have had the same disc for years and are just getting it to where they want it. I'm trying to beat in a star Teebird and I just throw it whenever I can on the course. I don't deliberately throw it into objects or anything like that, just normal throws. When it eventually becomes different enough from my champ Teebirds, I'll then start throwing the star for US shots and the champ for OS shots. Until then, I try to throw the star for everything while it beats in.

I know you didn't ask for a disc recommendation, but here is one anyway: try a Fugitive. It's slightly less stable than the Truth and more stable than the Fuse. I know a lot of people that use it for their main workhorse mid, straight-flyer and line-shaper.

Thanks for the advice. I may actually try a Fugitive. Minimalism-wise, it's kind of a toss up. Have 3 or 4 Rocs plus the Fuse, or just 3 mids, all different molds. One way is less molds, one way is less discs. Either will help me out.

I've also heard great things about the Legacy Gauge. I may order those two and keep throwing Rocs every chance I get.

Patience? Patience works well with self deprivation. Or so I have been told. Personally I'm not good with either.

So screw patience. To break in a disc quickly take it to a paved parking lot and spend time throwing skips, rollers and overheads. Yes, it will gouge the disc. So what. Take some sand paper to the gouges. The goal is to beat it up not make it look pretty. It will look pretty when it flies a perfect route.

After a while test it. See how it flies. You can't go back so if you break it in too much you are stuck with it. You may even ruin a disc figuring out the process. So what. 10 discs sitting in a box which do not do what you need them to is worth much less than one which does. Besides, for anyone with a plastic buying fetish it is a good excuse to buy more.

Oh, btw, I'm not sure you should give up on Buzzzes. Buzzzes are fabulous.

Well, now. That's kind of the advice I was hoping for. Patience is not one of my few virtues, either. Looks like I'm taking a bag of Rocs out for a romantic evening on the asphalt

Purplexius said:
Well, now. That's kind of the advice I was hoping for. Patience is not one of my few virtues, either. Looks like I'm taking a bag of Rocs out for a romantic evening on the asphalt

Those Rocs will treat you well. After a long hiatus I put my 3 11x Rocs back in and my Star San Marino back in.

Like everyone else said, it takes time to break in those discs. The pavement method works too,but not one I would personally do. Maybe a smooth concrete wall would work better for me. :D

I dug through my shed full of discs and found I also have a Star San Marino. How does that fly in comparison with the multitude of Roc molds out there? I assume it's less stable than a Rancho but how much? I'm looking at a Star Rancho as my overstable because I don't like the slick feel of KC Pros. Then a (hopefully) soon-to-be lightly beaten DX as a straight flier plus a (hopefully) soon-thrashed DX as an understable slot. Where would the San Marino work in?

I also have a Champ Roc 3. Should I utilize that?

Purplexius said:
I dug through my shed full of discs and found I also have a Star San Marino. How does that fly in comparison with the multitude of Roc molds out there? I assume it's less stable than a Rancho but how much? I'm looking at a Star Rancho as my overstable because I don't like the slick feel of KC Pros. Then a (hopefully) soon-to-be lightly beaten DX as a straight flier plus a (hopefully) soon-thrashed DX as an understable slot. Where would the San Marino work in?

I also have a Champ Roc 3. Should I utilize that?

I have a 180gram Star San Marino Roc. It is plenty stable with a touch of overstability. I mainly use the Star San Marino Roc in place of my freshest KC Pro Roc on holes where I risk chunking the KC Pro on rocks or possibly getting a Taco on a hard tree hit. So Basically my Star San Marino Roc throws just like my Freshest KC Pro Roc,it's just a tad heavier. That is my use with a Star San Marino Roc.

and yes a Rancho Roc is more overstable than a San Marino. Your basic KC Pro Rocs should be of the Rancho Roc mold. I'm pretty sure the San Marino Rocs of the present day are only made in Star Plastic.

I never really liked a Roc3. It didn't really feel like a Roc to me. Yes it is Faster and you will be able to utilize lower lines with it,but it didn't have that Old School Roc flight I am use to. So it didn't stay in the bag for long.

Latest posts