• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Correct Nose Up

This is great info. I've been struggling with nose angle issue for several weeks and i think this will help me a lot. I'm prone to the wrist issue that Jen's pic illustrates so I have to really concentrate on that but Im pretty sure the wrist is only one of my problems.

Pretty sure I need to work on getting better weight forward and follow thru aswell. I think its a lot like a quarterback throwing off their back foot. You need the weight transfer to have a nice smooth throw.

Someone mentioned a bonopane grip and posted a link to the Innova grips page.

But it says this:

This not a popular grip as it is not well suited for power and can be painful with heavy discs.

Is it painful? And exactly how much does "not well suited for power" mean?

Sounds like a joke but I remember to keep my chin down... it forces me to look level and keep my weight forward, because im focusing on "falling forward."

Someone mentioned a bonopane grip and posted a link to the Innova grips page. But it says this:
Quote:
This not a popular grip as it is not well suited for power and can be painful with heavy discs.

Is it painful? And exactly how much does "not well suited for power" mean?
I think it can be painful if you place your top finger and thumb as shown. However, if you position your thumb and forefinger beside each other like I do or place your thumb on top of your forefinger, it's more comfortable.

You may not be able to throw as far as one of the power grips when each is executed well. However, I find I can't throw wide rimmed drivers with the power grip accurately and with nose down as well as the modified bonopane. So it works for me and many others I've shown. That's not to say it can't be a stepping stone toward eventually learning to use a power grip. But the bonopane does get the nose down easier than other grips which was the OP topic.

Last edited:
i just remember to keep my wrist cocked down like im reaching out to shake someones hand

Just a noob here, but from what i understand about "nose down" is that it is relative to the discs flight path not the ground. Is that incorrect? So if released nose down but thrown upward a bit the disc would be level or near level.

Just a noob here, but from what i understand about "nose down" is that it is relative to the discs flight path not the ground. Is that incorrect? So if released nose down but thrown upward a bit the disc would be level or near level.
Correct.

I'm far from an expert in aerodynamics, but here's my understanding. If you throw the disc flat relative to it's trajectory and look at the lift you get because of the shape of the disc it will all be in the upwards direction, perpendicular to the velocity. If you get the nose up, the lift will be partially upwards and partially in the direction opposite of the initial velocity. If you get the nose down it will be partially upwards and partially in the same direction as the initial velocity. You can see how getting the nose down might be helpful in gaining more distance.

As well as keeping the fade progressive and preventing a stall. Technically, a disc that develops positive lift should have a natural tendency to nose down. This is probably fairly weak, as the lift generated is minimal.

Edit: I read too much lol.

BUMP!

I have been working on this, but a lot of times, when I try to use the nose down power grip, my hand slips into a nose up grip during the late acceleration.

I focus on getting the feeling of flinging the disc forward with my rip fingers under the rim, disc oriented flat relative to the up/down angle of the desired trajectory (they should be parallel, or nearly so), and consciously punching the disc and snapping it off in the intended direction. This is a feeling that every thrower needs to develop anyways, if they would like to throw farther and with more accuracy.

Latest posts