• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Correct Nose Up

atvan

Birdie Member
I get all my discs withing 20 ft. of distance, midranges, fairways, and drivers (buzzz, leo, monarch, katana). I don't like the faster two, too fast, but all these discs go 290-310 ft. From what I have read, this wreaks of nose-up. My question is, how do I correct this?

Weight forward, thumb pressure, and wrist angle.

discorientation01.jpg

discorientation02.jpg

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

i learned to pinch the disc hard at the last second before the hit... the thumb pushes the nose down as a result and this helps with the nose angle...

also, you could just throw some discs low until you get the feel for the angles...many of these practice low throws will wind up being worm burners...but it's practice so all good

edit: jenb's pics are pretty good. you can still throw high (as some throws require) but keep the disc orientation the same as the top pic... it works like a charm... just maintain that orientation

Last edited:
There is a key ingredient here that isn't discussed much. It's that it's practically impossible to throw nose down with a flat throw. Hyzers and anhyzers only. Doing that, you can actually aim higher while keeping the nose down and hit higher apexes, leading to more distance.

Wrist angle is everything in nose angle, as already stated.

:thmbup:

I read here to nose down from the wrist. It takes a conscious effort for me to keep my wrist down all the way through. I could see downward thumb pressure helping that.

All of the things stated before are big reasons, but personally a high reachback (with a swooping release) made me throw nose up for a long time.

I am a 90% FH player so correct me if I am wrong. To me it seems like more spin/snap helps to keep nose down as well as the rest of the things listed. I think BroD's coment is right on as well as weight shift. If you weight is not forward you will have a very hard time getting nose down.

2 cents for a FH player...

Every part of the throw helps to achieve the right throw. Look at your throw and see what isn't matching the advice above. Straightening the wrist and holding it there helps a lot - moreso than thumb position, for me. Usually if I sky a disc nose up, I notice that my weight isn't forward and sometimes I'm actually finishing with more weight on my rear foot or leaning back a bit. When I focus on weight up front and shoulders over the disc, my throws get back to normal.

Heh, that second pic looks familiar. :eek:

And thanks for all the big shots of this site for helping out a poor noob.

Wait a minute, what is this with prerube not prerubing me on such a prerubable topic? :confused:

Wait a minute, what is this with prerube not prerubing me on such a prerubable topic? :confused:

Two reasons.

1. Prerube is getting lazy.

2. Most noobs start threads about Buzzzes or aces, not about actual worthwhile technical questions, so this really isn't a very prerubabal topic. (Btw, I like that word: prerubabal.)

There are no doubt countless threads and such on the subject though. And so I was lazy as well. I guess the DGR link was somewhat akin to a prerube. Sorta.

There is a key ingredient here that isn't discussed much. It's that it's practically impossible to throw nose down with a flat throw. Hyzers and anhyzers only. Doing that, you can actually aim higher while keeping the nose down and hit higher apexes, leading to more distance.

I can't believe I never realized this until just now. I've been trying to wrap my head around how you can throw a disc nose down and not throw it right into the ground, but this totally makes sense now.

Using the Bonopane Grip for drivers, especially the newer wide wing discs, is a fast way to get the nose down. The grip shown has finger over the thumb. But you can place thumb over curled forefinger or my version for shorter fingers that's more comfortable which is laying curled forefinger next to thumb. This grip naturally moves the nose down and is great for getting new players to throw farther, faster until they can try the power grip.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html

This is definatley the most overlooked thing in nose angle, You can fairly easily throw a big high hyzer flip shot with the nose down that goes really far, or a huge high anhyzer flex shot, but I find when I throw flat its a lot harder to get it dialed in right, and I tend to have more turn n' burns, stall shots, and wormburners.

Thanks you guys. Thissite is awesome because of all the great contributions of members like you. And the occasional prerube. That's good too.

Latest posts