• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to defeat Ricky Wysocki

Eagle McMohan + 1 year = how to defeat Ricky.

Just guessing, of course, but Eagle was insane at the Aussie Open. Like he figured his putting out finally.

Maybe everybody else needs to start rocking the grandpa pants too...rumor is they add +1 glide to your drives and +3 to your outside the circle putting.

On the other hand if you need a +5 turbo putt boost you gotta rock the sweatpants like John E

ricky has gone through the heartache of the most demoralizing losses, often against McBeth or coughing up leads late.

it seemed like he'd have a lead or be tied for a lead and he'd make dumb mistakes at crucial moments like 2014 worlds playoffs against mcbeth throwing a sidearm right into a tree.

the experience with that kind of losing at the highest level... kudos to Ricky to learning from that and now he seems to have that grit/smart play balance dialed in and just moves on.

So far this year if you want to beat Ricky you need to shoot 4 rounds of 1063 rated golf. It is nice to see him so steady and his interview skills are getting much better as well. It was a nice push by Paul, but it's gonna take 4 solid rounds in the 1060's to even come close.

More importantly, will he recreate the Innova designated Grand Slam? And if he does, do we add him to the list of greats including:

Ken
Elain
Juliana
Val
Paul

And Possibly:

PP
Nate Doss

and all the master and grandmaster multiple champions I've left off?

Or does he have to win three or four Worlds first?

BTB - The notion that Ricky is gonna run through this year seems a reach at this point. He eked out a win at AO. And if Paul has two round fours instead of one, he loses this event (even sans the ace).

Yep, Ricky is the most consistent player with the best putting right now. It's a long season.

I hope he does it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

How much? If I take the other side.

I think it's less that Paul overly perfected his game than he is doing the "grow my brand thing." Ricky is going to work every day, day in and day out. Aray once pointed out to me that Ricky works harder than anyone, especially at those things he isn't good at. I'd have to say the result proves the point.

I'd say when it comes to everything in his dg game, he outworks other players. I have to give Paul the edge on the fitness and athleticism work-outs. And let's not slight Paul. Unlike Tiger, McBeth is still the second-best player IN THE WORLD.

Last edited:
How much? If I take the other side.

I'd say when it comes to everything in his dg game, he outworks other players. I have to give Paul the edge on the fitness and athleticism work-outs. And let's not slight Paul. Unlike Tiger, McBeth is still the second-best player IN THE WORLD.

That's some confidence, especially given that "run through the year" for me means win every major, every NT, the Pro Tour and the World Tour.

I suspect you'll get some takers though.

And let's not slight Paul. Unlike Tiger, McBeth is still the second-best player IN THE WORLD.

I know ARay is having fun, and some are going to argue, but this statement is correct. Both better keep an eye on Eagle though.

Eagle is still making the mistakes young guys make. But like Ricky, he tends to focus on his errors and work to fix them.

Of the 4 majors this year, I think that worlds is the one that brings more players into the picture that could potentially contend than any of the other three. I'm not a "Ricky can't win on wooded courses" guy but I think that courses like those at AO and GCC most specifically play to his biggest strength. He has greater range of putting accuracy than any other player in the game and long open courses put a much bigger premium on putting than on getting off the tee cleanly. When you are throwing 350-500 foot shots into the pin, you accept that you are going to be left with a lot of longer putts to score well.

Wooded courses conversely, put more of a premium on technical placement off the tee than on hitting every 60' putt. I think courses like that at least bring some other styles of play into the conversation. I could see a technician-type player who isn't quite as long like MJ or Sexton getting on to the lead card and making some noise.

Last edited:
Wooded courses conversely, put more of a premium on technical placement off the tee than on hitting every 60' putt. I think courses like that at least bring some other styles of play into the conversation. I could see a technician-type player who isn't quite as long like MJ or Sexton getting on to the lead card and making some noise.

I would love to see MJ and/or Sexton on the lead card at worlds this year. Two of my favorite players to watch in the woods.

Q:How do you beat Ricky?

A: Appeal to the PDGA to move to 3 round tournaments instead of 4. Ricky's consistency rewards him OVER TIME. Less rounds = Better chance at beating Rick.

A: Appeal to the PDGA to move to 3 round tournaments instead of 4. Ricky's consistency rewards him OVER TIME. Less rounds = Better chance at beating Rick.

But he lead the whole tournament:D

Put Ricky on camera on the walk to the next holes and get him answering questions. The dude is a nervous wreck on camera. He'll **** his pants in no time... no one can play well with poo in the britches.

Indeed, the longer tournaments run, the better Paul plays.

I had the distinct impression, maybe wrong, that Ricky's worst round was #4.

Indeed, the longer tournaments run, the better Paul plays.

I had the distinct impression, maybe wrong, that Ricky's worst round was #4.

Highest score of his four rounds and his lowest rating. Safe to say it was his worst of the four, but I don't think it is safe to assume he shoots the same score if he wasn't nursing a significant lead like he was. I don't think a fifth round necessarily makes Ricky any more vulnerable to losing.

It was pretty clear on the last few holes he was monitoring McBeth and doing what he needed to do to match his scores rather than playing aggressive for birdies. Different story if he knew he had another 18 to go after that round.

Highest score of his four rounds and his lowest rating. Safe to say it was his worst of the four, but I don't think it is safe to assume he shoots the same score if he wasn't nursing a significant lead like he was. I don't think a fifth round necessarily makes Ricky any more vulnerable to losing.

It was pretty clear on the last few holes he was monitoring McBeth and doing what he needed to do to match his scores rather than playing aggressive for birdies. Different story if he knew he had another 18 to go after that round.

Excellent point.

Again, my impression, but typically when Ricky does have problems, they come later. Waiting for that tis probably a mistake. :D

Of the 4 majors this year, I think that worlds is the one that brings more players into the picture that could potentially contend than any of the other three. I'm not a "Ricky can't win on wooded courses" guy but I think that courses like those at AO and GCC most specifically play to his biggest strength. He has greater range of putting accuracy than any other player in the game and long open courses put a much bigger premium on putting than on getting off the tee cleanly. When you are throwing 350-500 foot shots into the pin, you accept that you are going to be left with a lot of longer putts to score well.

There was a final round radio podcast where they had Michael Johansen as a guest....

and he said something along the lines of: in order to score good in the wooded courses of North Carolina you either have to consistently hit your lines or you have to be lights out putting. Looks like Ricky still has the upper hand there

So whatever type of course you're playing in the ability to consistently hit long putts seems to be the a huge factor. There's going to be 40-60ft putts in the woods regardless.

Latest posts