• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to defeat Ricky Wysocki

Of the 4 majors this year, I think that worlds is the one that brings more players into the picture that could potentially contend than any of the other three. I'm not a "Ricky can't win on wooded courses" guy but I think that courses like those at AO and GCC most specifically play to his biggest strength. He has greater range of putting accuracy than any other player in the game and long open courses put a much bigger premium on putting than on getting off the tee cleanly. When you are throwing 350-500 foot shots into the pin, you accept that you are going to be left with a lot of longer putts to score well.

Wooded courses conversely, put more of a premium on technical placement off the tee than on hitting every 60' putt. I think courses like that at least bring some other styles of play into the conversation. I could see a technician-type player who isn't quite as long like MJ or Sexton getting on to the lead card and making some noise.

Or maybe he'd just throw more forehands off the tee

That's some confidence, especially given that "run through the year" for me means win every major, every NT, the Pro Tour and the World Tour.

I suspect you'll get some takers though.

I was silly enough to think that "running through the year" would mean 6 or 7 of those majors/NTs/DGPTs, including Worlds. But if you meant every single one, I'll take you at your word.

There was a final round radio podcast where they had Michael Johansen as a guest....

and he said something along the lines of: in order to score good in the wooded courses of North Carolina you either have to consistently hit your lines or you have to be lights out putting. Looks like Ricky still has the upper hand there

So whatever type of course you're playing in the ability to consistently hit long putts seems to be the a huge factor. There's going to be 40-60ft putts in the woods regardless.

Yes being the best putter in the game is always going to be an advantage, I'm not saying that it isn't. However, that advantage is blunted a little bit on a wooded course vs. an open course where in tight woods you can be 60' out in may cases and not even have a look at the basket. A shorter wooded course would also bring some of the players who don't have 500' of course distance into the discussion.

Yes being the best putter in the game is always going to be an advantage, I'm not saying that it isn't. However, that advantage is blunted a little bit on a wooded course vs. an open course where in tight woods you can be 60' out in may cases and not even have a look at the basket. A shorter wooded course would also bring some of the players who don't have 500' of course distance into the discussion.

I still disagree with the advantage of being able to hit long putts being blunted in a wooded course. I remember last years IDGC HOF NT had numerous huge long putts being hit by Schultz, McBeth, and Johansen. Even in the woods there are long putts to be made.

Think about how many long putts were made at Maple Hill.

It's obvious that consistently hitting tight gaps, especially off the tee is the biggest advantage in wooded courses, but like Johansen said you can make up for that in tight east coast wooded course by being a lights out putter.

Fortunately Johansen did both in last year at the IDGC HOF NT and bested McBeth. But then again McBeth did win a world championship in those similar charlotte courses with the help of his long and consistent putts.

His game is on point, but it's the putt man, the putt. I wonder how the DGPT and DGWT stats break down, but I would expect to see one constant when Ricky wins and his stats are compared to the field - he made more putts, particularly outside the circle.

I have no evidence, but think if you took his various winning margins and compared them to the 2nd/3rd/4th spot you would probably see the margin of victory can be chalked up completely to putting. I realize he has to get himself putts, but am just referring to isolating the stats to putts only.

That is not to take away from how good Ricky is at everything, and how much better and consistent he has become. I just believe when you get down to the nuts and bolts, it is the putting that is the separator.

I still disagree with the advantage of being able to hit long putts being blunted in a wooded course. I remember last years IDGC HOF NT had numerous huge long putts being hit by Schultz, McBeth, and Johansen. Even in the woods there are long putts to be made.

Think about how many long putts were made at Maple Hill.

It's obvious that consistently hitting tight gaps, especially off the tee is the biggest advantage in wooded courses, but like Johansen said you can make up for that in tight east coast wooded course by being a lights out putter.

Fortunately Johansen did both in last year at the IDGC HOF NT and bested McBeth. But then again McBeth did win a world championship in those similar charlotte courses with the help of his long and consistent putts.

Ok, agree to disagree. I base my opinion primarily on playing courses like Iron Hill where you can throw a 1000 rated round without making a putt outside of 20' but you'll be 15 over par if you aren't throwing technical lines off the tee (regardless of your putting)

Wooded courses DO bring more people into the conversation by virtue of not requiring the same massive distance as a course like those at GCC.

What's funny is this exact paragraph would have been true 18 months ago if you insert McBeth's name in place of Rick's. My point being that it's cyclical. Six months from now, a year from now, ten years from now, we'll be saying the same thing about whoever is the hot player then.

Rick's on top now, but he won't be forever. Someone else will emerge and unseat him before long. It will be fun to watch in the meantime, though.
I think we are simply seeing Rick come of age in the past year plus. It coincides tightly with McBeth getting hurt and starting to show some wear and tear. Rick won the earlier mentioned IDGC major when he was about 17 - 2011 - and it was a slow build getting here, and a hell of a grind. Eagle and other youngsters are likely going to experience similar trajectories. And frankly - Rick is likely to wind up getting hurt and experience some difficulty grinding through it eventually unless his cash flow gets to where he can take time off and do appropriate rehab with professionals. I think simply calling it "cyclical" ignores the nuance of it all.

Eagle McMohan + 1 year = how to defeat Ricky.

Just guessing, of course, but Eagle was insane at the Aussie Open. Like he figured his putting out finally.
Rick won his first Major at 17 and didn't become the world beater we know until 22. Don't rush Eagle, he should grow into it but I'm not sure it'll happen in just the next year necessarily.

Not sure how this is a counterpoint to anything in the post you quoted. Sure, he can throw more forehands off the tee.

Easier to hit tight lines with a FH, because you generally are looking at the line for the whole throw.

Something I have noticed watching Ricky putt on longer putts [25ft and over] is he brings the disc down to his left knee for better leverage. I started trying this just recently and what a difference it made in my long range putting. It makes it effortless to get the distance to the basket. I use to try to push putt from the gut and always found myself going off to the right side of the basket, now I give it the Ricky Wysocki and my long range putting has improved about 90%. :D

Highest score of his four rounds and his lowest rating. Safe to say it was his worst of the four, but I don't think it is safe to assume he shoots the same score if he wasn't nursing a significant lead like he was. I don't think a fifth round necessarily makes Ricky any more vulnerable to losing.

It was pretty clear on the last few holes he was monitoring McBeth and doing what he needed to do to match his scores rather than playing aggressive for birdies. Different story if he knew he had another 18 to go after that round.

I think his approach on 16, where he lasered it over the OB green and into the hillside, showed he can be aggressive when he needs to be. He knew he needed to put it away, so he did.

The reason we aren't seeing Rick be flashy is because he doesn't need to. It'll be interesting if anyone can flip the script and make him chase much this year.

Re: Worlds (from another commenter, not you JC) - He's won at IDGC before and they're unleashing a new course at Fort Gordon. I'd still put Ricky as the favorite today. And with it moving to Vermont next year - where he's won the GMC every year of its existence - hooboy...

Well, he did chase Eagle at AO. If that's any indication, it's going to a long Ricky filled year.

I'm more interested in how he takes long term pressure, being the marked man so to speak. Also, is Paul hurt? If Paul's hurt, Ricky wins all the big titles. He may not win every A tier, but he is in control.

Best way to beat Ricky?

Probably with a lead pipe in the billiard room. the way he's playing it's not going to be on the course.

Ok, agree to disagree. I base my opinion primarily on playing courses like Iron Hill where you can throw a 1000 rated round without making a putt outside of 20' but you'll be 15 over par if you aren't throwing technical lines off the tee (regardless of your putting)

Wooded courses DO bring more people into the conversation by virtue of not requiring the same massive distance as a course like those at GCC.

What makes anyone think that Ricky will have any struggles at all hitting the tight lines? Just because he DOMINATES in the long ball golf courses, doesn't mean he still won't WIN CONVINCINGLY in the woods.

I think we are simply seeing Rick come of age in the past year plus. It coincides tightly with McBeth getting hurt and starting to show some wear and tear. Rick won the earlier mentioned IDGC major when he was about 17 - 2011 - and it was a slow build getting here, and a hell of a grind. Eagle and other youngsters are likely going to experience similar trajectories. And frankly - Rick is likely to wind up getting hurt and experience some difficulty grinding through it eventually unless his cash flow gets to where he can take time off and do appropriate rehab with professionals. I think simply calling it "cyclical" ignores the nuance of it all.

Actually, it coincides tightly with Paul's interview with the LA paper saying something to the effect of, "Well Ricky can only win with a big lead; I feel like if I can keep it close he will make a mistake or not hit a big putt when it's a tight score."

Last edited:
So the top pros obviously talk and see each other all the time. I'm sure some of them actually get along too. They probably also realize that drama/competition is good for their brand.

With that said, anyone ever get the feeling that McBeth knew exactly what he was doing when he gave that interview?

Best way to beat Ricky?

Probably with a lead pipe in the billiard room. the way he's playing it's not going to be on the course.

Gauging by the ultiworld interview, he has a weakness for buffett food - so in theory, wafting a tray of buffett slop in his nose at the teepads before he drives should pretty well put him out of commission, yes?

So the top pros obviously talk and see each other all the time. I'm sure some of them actually get along too. They probably also realize that drama/competition is good for their brand.

With that said, anyone ever get the feeling that McBeth knew exactly what he was doing when he gave that interview?

Yep.

What makes anyone think that Ricky will have any struggles at all hitting the tight lines? Just because he DOMINATES in the long ball golf courses, doesn't mean he still won't WIN CONVINCINGLY in the woods.

Actually, it coincides tightly with Paul's interview with the LA paper saying something to the effect of, "Well Ricky can only win with a big lead; I feel like if I can keep it close he will make a mistake or not hit a big putt when it's a tight score."
So a slight in the media has more impact than the natural development we see from all dedicated, healthy athletes as they move toward their mid-20s?

Latest posts