• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get new players to a tournament.

Doofenshmirtz

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Looking for ideas on how to get new, local players to a tournament. We have a doubles tourney coming up in a few weeks and our course sees a lot of play from locals who never show up at tournaments. They are mostly college aged and military and we would love to get them to show up. We have limited resources for additional advertising and prizes.

Any ideas?

Stop and talk and invite them.

Usually, it's easier to get people to join local league/doubles, and then to get them to take the next step to formal tournaments. Unless they already know someone who's a tournament player.

If you put up flyers on the course, or any such thing, mention that the event is suitable for all skill levels. It may seem obvious to you, but it's not to the casual player.

For me, a classification I felt like I could compete in was what kept me away. Rec class is supposedly the novice class? But the people at the top of rec are far from being a novice. $$$ could always be a factor. But it wouldn't hurt to invite people or discuss the laid back and fun atmosphere it is....

My .02 would be to emphasize that there is multiple divisions to enter, all skillsets welcome. I know the first few years I played disc golf, I felt a bit intimidated by tourneys because it seemed like most of the people playing were arrogant and it gave me a bad vibe. I think that sharing your experience and explaining how fun it was for your 1st tournament might help.

First - one has to consider who you want.

If it is more people like oneself, but ones hesitant to "take the plunge", then that will determine the emphasis. If you are looking for attenders that are not like you,or are motivated differently, that will take another very different approach.

You likely well know what would attract yourself (or people with the same main driving interests, similar demographics, socio economic level, etc...) to an event, but it is harder to attract others that share different values than oneself unless you slow down and plan purposely.

I think most attendance related goal projects are truly looking for more "tourney players" and new "tourney players"..you know…"regular players" which is a noble goal - so in those cases build to what you want. For example, if you truly in the end want people that are competitive minded - advertise competition and division play. In the end you will get what you ask for

But by all means, if you are aiming for more first time taking the plunge types - you will have to be bold in inviting it. Big promotions on "All Skills" "All Ages" . Consider "Door prizes" over skill prizes, etc… Events are intimidating!

New players usually have to build up to a tournament. Gotta crawl before you walk. We do tag matches out here and anyone is welcome to play. After a few tag matches, people usually get how it works and either like the idea or not (our tag matches are kinda like a mini tourney). But getting someone to just jump into a tournament is probably damn near impossible.

As a new player who just signed up for my 2nd tournament, I would say posters and signs posted up are crucial. I saw a fundraiser tournament sign at the newest local course and wanted to contribute. I would have never know about the tournament because I dont know anyone who plays and the local websites I looked at hadnt been updated. I would also say create as many social network accounts for your course/club. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, DGcoursereview, Discgolfscene, websites etc will give you a cheap way spread the word.

maybe they should give away plastic as entry packages and pay out every division. Oh wait..:D

to me its all up to the local clubs to market to or get involved with the development of the sport in your area, including opening arms to newbs.

Doubles tournament? How about asking some of your regular tournament players to invite a new player to be their partner? I'm not sure what the intent of the tournament is (ice bowl, just another tournament, etc), but perhaps make the overall goal of the event be to introduce tournament play to players that haven't experienced it before.

Other than that, the advice here is sound. Post flyers, emphasize that all skill levels are welcomed, and talk to the people directly when you can. Give them as much information as you can and be as welcoming and friendly as possible.

Here's another promotional tip:

Create a graphic file as a hand out tournament flier. Create the flier at 4x6 in. Full color, include the main stuff, including the "all ages" "all skills" "first timers welcome" or whatever and print it "as a photo" at a print to order venue (costco, walmart, wherever you can do photo prints on demand cheaply) If it is an option, use matte finish and not glossy.

These are "handout" invitations. Have several key friendly social players in charge of putting these in players hands that they meet during casual play on the course. This flier (likely at about 13 cents a piece cost or so) plus a handshake and a smile will go a long way to making it happen.

Plus, the recipient will keep the full color photo flier in their golf bag as a reminder, even if they don't make this event. (they will still be able to link to your club website, etc).

People will throw away paper based fliers without hesitation, but people do think twice before tossing a color photo. Can't explain why, but its true.

Latest posts