• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get ready for future Distance Competitions

I haven't focused on distance in 2 years but when I was throwing 550+ I had been focusing a lot on simple body weight exercises. Lots of basic push/pull-ups and other core work. I would also ride a stationary bicycle for a few hours a week. My focus the last couple years has been more focused on teaching and learning how to "play golf" on the course so the distance isn't as massive but more controlled.

Having a full understanding efficient and explosive form is also just as vital. I focused a lot on learning to feel how the disc moved in the final power arc that BlakeT used to talk about. I could feel if it was ripping out late/early/on-time(talking about the elbow opening forward, not the body movements). You have to learn how to feel when each part of throw is off. The key is to just get all the pieces of the body moving forward, not in a circle.

Last edited:
I find bicycling improves my distance in the summer. When I put some time in on my bike I can pick up another 20ft on average. Probably has to do with strengthening my core and leg muscles.

Grip strength is the second area that I see create distance on the course. Squeezing the disc and letting it know you mean business can generate some serious disc speed when trying to get them out of your hand fast.

I don't do any upper body work outside of work but I carry boxes of nuts and bolts that weigh 50+ pounds everyday. I have talked with a couple pros and most agree that distance comes from the core and legs.

Source: I can throw 375'-400' regularly on the course with SOLFs.

When I bike to the course in the summer I bomb further than ever. Probably just the increased blood flow...

Latest posts