• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to make disc golf practice fun?

skypopcorn1

Heyo,

I am doing some research for a disc golf app I am building (links below for anyone interested in becoming an early tester). The whole premise of the app is to make practice fun through gamification, competition, social play, leaderboards, etc.

I'm curious to know (even if you only have time to answer a single question, it would be really helpful):

• What are your favourite drills?
  • How often do you practice?
  • What percentage of your time is dedicated to practice versus playing a round?
  • Do you believe you should be practicing more? If so, how much more?
  • If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back?
  • Would you practice more if you had a tailored training plan with regular reminders and incentives for keeping your practice streak alive?
  • Would you be interested receiving lessons from pros? If so, how much would you expect to or be willing to pay for a single lesson?
  • Would you be interested in getting personalised motivational messages from your favourite pros? (to give you the extra motivation to practice that week, to get you psyched before a tournament round, etc.)
  • What disc golf resources do you feel are missing or hard to find?

DiscDoctor is currently in Alpha testing. If you are interested in helping with testing and the active development of the app, please join the test group using the links below.

iOS
https://testflight.apple.com/join/Cgz9Li2Q

Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skypopcorn.discdoctor

--

Not enough practice time

Hi Disc Doctor -
I am a regular player and I play once or twice a week on a course. I usually warm up on a few holes, have 20-30 putts and then get into. I have a basket at home and I usually throw from an 8m line as that is my comfortable distance with the space I have. I make the kids do a few drills 5 from 4, 5 from 6, 2 from 8m. On the course when we have time, I like playing upshot type best shot game like horse. Its fun for the 40-50m shots.

Thanks

- If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back?

Time, weather, field access.

- Would you practice more if you had a tailored training plan with regular reminders and incentives for keeping your practice streak alive?

No. See above.

If you are not having fun every time you throw a disc you need a new hobby.

If you are not having fun every time you bat in baseball you need a new hobby.

If you are not having fun every time you shoot a ball into hoops while playing basketball you need a new hobby.

:)

I love field work, during normal times I probably do it 3-4 days every week usually with a different focus defending on what I need to accomplish.

Sometimes it's just a bag check, do any discs fly differently than they should/gotten floppier than I thought. Or sometimes I'm replacing a disc an want to make sure the new one holds the same lines.

If I'm working on a shot I may do all backhand hyzers or forehand flips, whatever I think I I may need.

Once per week I just take drivers and throw bombs, because throwing bombs is fun. Try to set personal bests for distance, and though my average keeps improving I haven't beat my personal best from April.

The answers are below. Sorry, at this point, I am not all that interested in improving my game by leaps and bounds. I am pretty happy with where I am at, and what disc golf provides for me in life.

• What are your favourite drills?

Putting
  • How often do you practice?

Rarely. Once a month in the winter, twice a month in the summer.
  • What percentage of your time is dedicated to practice versus playing a round?

99.5% play
  • Do you believe you should be practicing more? If so, how much more?

Nope
  • If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back?

Don't want to practice, don't enjoy practice
  • Would you practice more if you had a tailored training plan with regular reminders and incentives for keeping your practice streak alive?

Nope
  • Would you be interested receiving lessons from pros? If so, how much would you expect to or be willing to pay for a single lesson?

Nope. In fact, a pro would be the last person I would be interested in getting lessons from. Good players do not mean good teachers.
  • Would you be interested in getting personalised motivational messages from your favourite pros? (to give you the extra motivation to practice that week, to get you psyched before a tournament round, etc.)

Nope
  • What disc golf resources do you feel are missing or hard to find?

A comprehensive, standardized disc guide.

What are your favourite drills? --putting from different spots inside C1
How often do you practice? --once a week
What percentage of your time is dedicated to practice versus playing a round? --I dunno? 10%
Do you believe you should be practicing more? If so, how much more? --yes, lots.
If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back? --work and family
Would you practice more if you had a tailored training plan with regular reminders and incentives for keeping your practice streak alive? --no
Would you be interested receiving lessons from pros? If so, how much would you expect to or be willing to pay for a single lesson? --yes. Cost depends on who is giving the lesson, how long the lesson is, where the lesson is.
Would you be interested in getting personalised motivational messages from your favourite pros? (to give you the extra motivation to practice that week, to get you psyched before a tournament round, etc.) --no
What disc golf resources do you feel are missing or hard to find? --none

My disc golf 'life' is....I work M-F at my paying job. After work, I spend time with my wife, then dinner, then more time with my wife. One day of the week, usually Wednesday, I go play at a nearby course. Saturday is usually reserved for spending time with my wife/taking care of projects at the house. Sunday, I usually play a round or two at a nearby course. My rounds are either with a league or solo. I practice putting before rounds and might get in a few backhand throws as I'm really bad at that. Some evenings, after dinner, I watch YouTube videos on Disc Golf. When I can, I play in a tournament.

I'm hoping to get lessons from a local pro soon.

What disc golf resources do you feel are missing or hard to find?

Need to change my answer on that one....I saw another post that made me think of this. We need standardization.

In ball golf, you can go to a fitter and find out your swing speed, swing path, etc. Then they can tell you what type of clubs are best for your speed, path, etc. Heck, they can even recommend type of golf balls. Every club, even the putter, in my bag I was fitted for. The shafts were adjusted for my height and the grips were chosen for my hand size. I was even given a suggestion of three types of golf balls that would perform the best for me. When I stepped onto a ball golf course, I knew the equipment I was using was the best for me. The only lacking was my ability/consistency.

We do not have that in disc golf. What is my arm speed? I don't know. What does my throw path look like (rounding, etc)? I don't know. What are the best speed discs for me? I don't know. What speed discs should I stay away from? I don't know (well I kind of do). What weight discs are best for me? I don't know. What is the best type of plastic for me? I don't know. When I step on a disc golf course, I'm guessing as to which disc to throw. Have I bought the disc in the right weight and plastic? I don't know.

for disc golf, I'd like to be able to change those "I don't know" answers to, "I know what is best for me".

What are your favourite drills?
I cant say I have every done a drill for disc golf

How often do you practice?
Zero in the winter since I live in the north and maybe once a week in the spring thru fall

What percentage of your time is dedicated to practice versus playing a round?
Zero? Every round I play is practice, even tournament rounds.

Do you believe you should be practicing more? If so, how much more?
Yes, everyday.

If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back?
Time, weather

Would you practice more if you had a tailored training plan with regular reminders and incentives for keeping your practice streak alive?
No

Would you be interested receiving lessons from pros? If so, how much would you expect to or be willing to pay for a single lesson?
Yes, $0. Theres enough free info on youtube that you dont really need lessons from pros.

Would you be interested in getting personalised motivational messages from your favourite pros? (to give you the extra motivation to practice that week, to get you psyched before a tournament round, etc.)
Im sorry for sounding mean but is this a serious question? It would be hard for me to believe that the messages actually have any meaning from the pros. Id have a hard time believing they care about the message that is being said. For reference, words of affirmation is not one of my love languages.

What do you mean by resources? I also cant say that there is anything about disc golf that I cant find on the internet

b4abeed53b688ce75865c950cf110f0c379e23ea99525463276c096dd8057a2d.jpg

Would you be interested receiving lessons from pros? If so, how much would you expect to or be willing to pay for a single lesson?
Yes, $0. Theres enough free info on youtube that you dont really need lessons from pros.

IMO...yes there are lots of 'how to' videos, but how do you know you are doing it correctly? I know I need someone to watch what I do and let me know what I need to correct. A pro should be good at providing me that feedback/advice. And the value of the lesson would depend on the pro. For example....Paul and Pete Ulibarri. Both are pros, Paul is a touring pro and Pete is a local pro. I'd pay more for a lesson with Paul, but would it be better than a lesson from Pete? I don't know....but since Paul is a touring pro, I'd think his experience would be better and that would lead to a better lesson.

Would you be interested in getting personalised motivational messages from your favourite pros? (to give you the extra motivation to practice that week, to get you psyched before a tournament round, etc.)
Im sorry for sounding mean but is this a serious question? It would be hard for me to believe that the messages actually have any meaning from the pros. Id have a hard time believing they care about the message that is being said. For reference, words of affirmation is not one of my love languages.

That's a really good point. If the pro doesn't know me, then his/her "motivational message" isn't really for ME. It's generic and for anyone. I'm sure the pro does care, but they don't care about ME as an individual....they don't know me.

The only way to enjoy practice is by improving... the older I get the less I enjoy practice.

IMO...yes there are lots of 'how to' videos, but how do you know you are doing it correctly? I know I need someone to watch what I do and let me know what I need to correct. A pro should be good at providing me that feedback/advice. And the value of the lesson would depend on the pro. For example....Paul and Pete Ulibarri. Both are pros, Paul is a touring pro and Pete is a local pro. I'd pay more for a lesson with Paul, but would it be better than a lesson from Pete? I don't know....but since Paul is a touring pro, I'd think his experience would be better and that would lead to a better lesson.

Yea, for me, if I wanted someone to look over my form then I would post a video on here or in a group but I also have a different mindset since I have had my form down for years now. I also dont think that a high rating will make someone a good coach. I have a decently high rating and I know that I am a terrible coach. I know all the right things to do but I have a hard time explaining the things to do.

What are your favourite drills?
- I'm pretty vanilla.
-Putting practice -10 putters, start at 10 feet, move out to 15 when I go 10/10, etc. Try for 100 reps a day, and often broken up into multiple sessions, so I may do two sets of 50 or something
-Fieldwork- Throw 10 flat shots, go pick them up, throw 10 hyzers, then 10 annys, shoot for about 30 reps of each. Usually pick an object and play object golf with it
-course practice - this is where I do most of my angle practice if I'm being honest. If there's no one behind me I'll throw two lines off the tee. On the course is where the majority of my approach shot practice takes place as well

How often do you practice?
-Putting daily. Coursework 5 days/week weather permitting. Fieldwork ~2-3 times/week weather permitting

What percentage of your time is dedicated to practice versus playing a round?
-I mostly play rounds, but I consider my practice rounds to be focused practice time

Do you believe you should be practicing more? If so, how much more?
-The main thing I want to improve currently is my distance (max about 320). I think if I did more field work that would come along faster. I don't do field work with snow on the ground, so winter has been mostly just rounds

If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back?
-weather. As soon as it warms up I plan to hit the field hard.

Would you practice more if you had a tailored training plan with regular reminders and incentives for keeping your practice streak alive?
-I would love ideas for a regimented practice schedule. I don't think I need incentives. I just enjoy the grind.

-Yes, only from pros I am already a fan of though. I would pay $100 for some one-on-one time with one of my favorite pros

-Sure, but I wouldn't pay money for it

-More emphasis on disc selection, especially for beginners. Stop the rookies from throwing Destroyers.
-not so much missing but lots of conflicting info on form. I know form is personal but a more unified core form for driving would be helpful

Q: What are your favourite drills? A: My favorite fieldwork drill is to throw my bag from a distance I can throw all of the discs to the basket, then putt from each disc. The goal is to get all of the discs in two throws.

Q: How often do you practice? A: I play 3-4 times a week. In the past, most of those days were considered "practice" figuring out discs as well as improving my form, but now I will start scoring more rounds than not since I have reduced the "figuring out the discs" part.

Q: What percentage of your time is dedicated to practice versus playing a round? A: 50/50%

Q: Do you believe you should be practicing more? If so, how much more? A: Not at this point in time. I have enough past practice that I need to focus more on execution more than developing new skills. That will change in the future... most likely.

Q: If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back? A: Weather! Living in north Idaho definitely has it's seasons.

Q: Would you practice more if you had a tailored training plan with regular reminders and incentives for keeping your practice streak alive? A: Maybe? I think regular reminders would be great for working out/stretching as I tend to neglect that part more than playing.

Q: Would you be interested receiving lessons from pros? If so, how much would you expect to or be willing to pay for a single lesson? A: Only if it was in person. I would pay about $30 or so.

Q: Would you be interested in getting personalised motivational messages from your favourite pros? (to give you the extra motivation to practice that week, to get you psyched before a tournament round, etc.) A: I wouldn't because I know it wouldn't be sincere and that is part of the process for a player to handle... motivating yourself.

Q: What disc golf resources do you feel are missing or hard to find? A: Nothing that I can think of. My biggest issue is executing what I have done in the past more frequently. The internet has a wealth of knowledge for disc golf and applying it is the harder part vs. finding it.

- If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back?

Time, weather, field access.

- Would you practice more if you had a tailored training plan with regular reminders and incentives for keeping your practice streak alive?

No. See above.

I answered a couple of these, but here is a more complete response...

•What are your favourite drills?
- Probably my favorite thing to do is find a wide open shot to a basket within putter range (say 200 feet) and empty my whole bag at that distance (Judges, Jokeris, Rocs, Teebirds, Destroyers, everything). I also really like tracking distance.

•How often do you practice?
- Field work? Maybe once a week. But I'd say that the over 90% of my rounds are some flavor of multi-shot and/or work on something rounds.

•What percentage of your time is dedicated to practice versus playing a round?
- Field work? Maybe 20% of the time.

•Do you believe you should be practicing more? If so, how much more?
- Yes. Every day.

•If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back?
- As posted above. Time, weather, field access. I work a job and I also have other hobbies. I don't play/practice a lot in bad weather. And the only fields around me are soccer fields and they are in use nights and weekends for the bulk of the year. I work 4/10's and can get on a field during the day on Fridays, but that is about it.

•Would you practice more if you had a tailored training plan with regular reminders and incentives for keeping your practice streak alive?
- Only if the tailored training plan included field access and the incentives were more lucrative than my job.

•Would you be interested receiving lessons from pros? If so, how much would you expect to or be willing to pay for a single lesson?
- Yes. Price? It depends on the product. Maybe $50 or so for a one on one session with a proven coach.

•Would you be interested in getting personalised motivational messages from your favourite pros? (to give you the extra motivation to practice that week, to get you psyched before a tournament round, etc.)
- Only if we had developed a personal relationship.

•What disc golf resources do you feel are missing or hard to find?
- More sources that give a holistic view.

•If you aren't practicing as much as you would like, what is holding you back?
- As posted above. Time, weather, field access. I work a job and I also have other hobbies. I don't play/practice a lot in bad weather. And the only fields around me are soccer fields and they are in use nights and weekends for the bulk of the year. I work 4/10's and can get on a field during the day on Fridays, but that is about it.

•What disc golf resources do you feel are missing or hard to find?
- More sources that give a holistic view.

1. I hear you there. Ive been working 6 12's for the past 7 years, finding any time on the weekend is hard.

2. Interested to hear what you mean by a holistic view.

Latest posts