• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to mark this lie?

I am thinking he meant you still get a 30cm lie -- if that 30 cm starts behind the large solid object, so be it.

Of course, if you mark behind the tree with a maximum size mini you get 45 cm (17.7165 inches) of space for your throwing motion -- one reason to use that monster mini you get when joining the PDGA ;)

Max size mini is 15cm not 45 cm.

15 cm for the mini, 30 cm for the length of the lie. Of course, to have a supporting point on the lie, you have to lose at least a couple centimeters of distance from the tree so really you never get the full 45.

Also, while the PDGA membership mini is a large one, it isn't quite the maximum allowable diameter of 15cm (it's about 11 or so).

This is already an issue when your disc lands in front of a solid obstacle and you're allowed to take your stance behind the object. Stances close to obstacles like that are actually pretty easy to judge because it's almost always a stand and deliver throw. Either way I don't see it being a big enough issue to change the rule.

It's not that I don't understand what you are saying, but I don't see the relevance. It's not that I think that all trees block the view so you cannot estimate the line of play and the placement of your supporting point. But what would be the reason for marking in front of the tree and not behind it, if the tree is wider than 30 cm's? it just doesn't make any sense to me, and it complicates the rules unecesarily if you should have different rules for different size trees

It's not that I don't understand what you are saying, but I don't see the relevance. It's not that I think that all trees block the view so you cannot estimate the line of play and the placement of your supporting point. But what would be the reason for marking in front of the tree and not behind it, if the tree is wider than 30 cm's? it just doesn't make any sense to me, and it complicates the rules unecesarily if you should have different rules for different size trees

Your 30cm starts at the back of the solid obstacle. It doesn't matter if the tree is 30cm in diameter or 30 miles in diameter. same rule.

Your 30cm starts at the back of the solid obstacle. It doesn't matter if the tree is 30cm in diameter or 30 miles in diameter. same rule.

Could you quote the rule that supports the bolded?

Because from what I can find in the rules, 30cm starts at the back of the marker. Always.

If a solid obstacle prevents a stance within 30cm, you move the marker behind it on the LOP (802.03E) and still measure 30cm from its rear edge. If you mark in front of the obstacle because it is less than 30cm in diameter, then you get whatever is left of the 30cm behind it (e.g. 15 cm if the obstacle is 15cm in diameter). There's nothing to support the idea that you can begin the 30cm measurement from the obstacle rather than the marker.

I had a similar issue this past weekend. My disc landed inside the trunk of a tree. I was told by the group and spotters that I could not mark behind the trunk of the tree even though I couldn't put my foot inside the tree and behind the disc. I could have used a mini and marked the lie, but that would still leave me with an awful stance and could only use my right foot to use that marked lie. Everyone agreed that I could put my foot up on the trunk of the tree up high and it would be legal though and so that's how I ended up playing it. IDK?

It was like the drawing below, and inside the trunk it drops down almost a foot below the rest of the playing surface.

I had a similar issue this past weekend. My disc landed inside the trunk of a tree. I was told by the group and spotters that I could not mark behind the trunk of the tree even though I couldn't put my foot inside the tree and behind the disc. I could have used a mini and marked the lie, but that would still leave me with an awful stance and could only use my right foot to use that marked lie. Everyone agreed that I could put my foot up on the trunk of the tree up high and it would be legal though and so that's how I ended up playing it. IDK?

Group and spotters were wrong.

802.02.C

QA 6