• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips and tricks to break in discs.

Kjimsern

Par Member
I was on a training camp in Spain and i lost my fav teebird, i have 5-6 in the same mold but they are all box fresh.

I need one to become more flippy before next weekend, any idea what i can do to break one in fast?

Any tips would be nice.

Feldbergs tip is to play catch in a parking lot. Scrarching up the bottom of the disc will make it more understable. You can also throw it against a wall to scratch up the rim so there are some turbulences around the rim during the flight making it a bit more glidey and drift to the right ok rhbh. You can also take sandpaper to the bottom of it.

Im also suffering the loss of a teebird. It was the most understable disc in my bag and perfect for left to right lines as I dont have a good sidearm. I know your pain.

Fastest and easiest way in a situation like this is to boil some water, submerge disc in boiling water (safely), let it sit for 30-45 seconds (longer if desired, but that's really all you need), remove disc from boiling water (safely), fold form and shape the wing by bending the disc to change the PLH height. Let the disc cool and go test the flight. Repeat process and tune as necessary to get the flight you need. It works in a pinch when you need a disc NOW.

We've tried the wall, skipping the disc off the parking lot, sand paper, drier method etc on the road where you are kind of limited in a hotel room with options between tournament rounds, and boiling them seemed to be the easiest and quickest (not best) method.

Honestly...not much.

Like ^Pastor I've tried several ways with minimal results. Even when I could throw 100' farther than I do now a fence, wall, or tree didn't change the flight much after many hard throws.

I'd say buying a new DX Teebird is probably your best bet. I don't know if there's any stores around you but It'll emulate a beat Champ or Star better than trying to artificially make a new one like your old.

I've never tried to boil a disc for stability reasons (have added some to an upside down disc for flight plate things).

Put it in the dryer but NO HEAT. Takes about a 1/2 hour to one full hour depending on how stiff the plastic is.

Light sanding to remove flashing on rim edge/bottom of rim
Make the top of the flight plate less smooth - clean with a scrubbing pad & soap + hot water

Its hard to have success & confidence if you don't know the ins and outs of how a disc behaves in various conditions, especially when dealing with different plastics/runs. I'd be wary to throw a newly broken in disc during competition. Worthwhile to have backups ready to step in as needed.

Instead of breaking a disc in you could seek out a less stable disc (JLS? DX TB? light weight TB? TL/TL3?).

I have heard good things about the dryer method... when I've been really desperate or wanting to mess around to see where a disc will break into I use a flat file with a fairly fine set of teeth something like a 14" mill file. I set it across both sides of the disc (so I'm not crooked), take note of where I start (pencil mark etc), then I go three strokes or so all the way around, throw it and see if I want to do more. It works short term but as it seasons it becomes flippier than if I'd done it the natural way.

During your rounds, throw the disc HARD into each basket after you putt. It usually takes a round or less to beat in. Alternately, blast it into the practice basket 20x and you're good to go. Tomahawks straight down into hard dirt work too.

I think modern premium plastics need either repeated heat cycling and careful bending or significant repeated shock to the wing to maintain the deformation.

I break in/tune discs by a combination of heating over a fire and throwing them into the ground. Works perfectly everytime.

Go play in Central Texas or the greater Phoenix area. The rocky terrain will beat your discs in short order

I think modern premium plastics need either repeated heat cycling and careful bending or significant repeated shock to the wing to maintain the deformation.

I break in/tune discs by a combination of heating over a fire and throwing them into the ground. Works perfectly everytime.
+1, newer discs seem way more resilient than Star/Champ/ESP/etc. plastic from 10 or 15 years ago. I pretty much have to square up a tree at full send just to get a scuff mark

Haha- but no. Putt your putter like… Calvin? (Who makes putts with no spitouts?) but then AFTER that, throw the disc you want to break-in like Gannon putting! Better yet like an AB drive after he's lost the lead.
My chosen orange replacement Teebird will now suffer some chains because of you. Just hope I wont blast it past the basket after my runup