• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to overcome the nuclear melt down....

The way I try to avoid this is setting a new goal on everythrow...If I'm on a 400 ft hole ...my goal at that point is to get up and down in 3 so my first shot is designed to do that the most effectively...if i shankthat shot 150 into the woods....that goal is no longer relevant....so when I get to the disc its a new hole...im now trying to throw a 3 from that location .... you cant fix thrown shots...you just have to make the best of the situation you are in right then

I hit closest to the pin and then three putted on hole one. Dusted off my ego and played well after. It's about fun, and if your like me the more I get in my head the more I suck! So I try to make jokes about how bad I am and then shake it off and try to enjoy the day. Think about the good shots or just live in the moment. Sure I wanna win, but somebody is ALWAYS better than me. So F-IT, I just remember to enjoy playing!
This would happen to me. My first tourney (which I finished DFL, by the way) I couldn't hit a putt to save my life. It MAY have been because I ripped one contact lens and was basically putting with one good eye, but whatever the reason I couldn't putt. I made a joke about it -- parked one drive, looked around at my group and said "Yeah -- I should be able to four-putt from there!"

Always think to yourself -- "A bad day disc golfing is better than a good day at work."

Honestly, me best rounds mentally are ones where I've blocked out any recollection of what is on the scorecard and have instead focused on taking the situation that I've been handed, whether it be a tee shot, a difficult approach or a 30 foot putt, and try to focus on getting the best possible result out of that circumstance. (Now getting my body to follow through and make that happen, well, that's another matter).

The other I would suggest is try to banish thoughts of negativity from your mind, particularly anything with the word "don't" in it. If you think in terms of "don't hit that tree" well you're either going to hit that tree of severely cripple your shot trying not to. Think instead of terms of "do hit that gap or line".

When I was a junior golfer I had a temper like many 12 year olds due to frustration. My instructor told me when I was about 15 to remember when playing golf, "your next shot could be the best shot you ever had." I think about that a lot when I bogey a hole. Also, one of my family members favorite sayings when we played for money was, "there is a lot of golf yet to play." If he would lose like the first 12 holes when we played for skins he then would take home more money combined in the last 6 holes because he never gave up after a few bad holes and always pressed. An example of this was when I played Sawgrass with him once and he shot 39 on the front and 35 on the back with a 2 on 17 and par on 18 (two of the hardest holes I ever played).

Set goals for casual play and sanctioned tournaments. I am the worst casual player ever when playing with others because I rarely ever take it too seriously because I do not really care if I have the #1 tag or #100 tag I just want to have fun. I would rather do well in sanctioned tournaments because the competition is how I like to compare my game. With that being said I set goals for both. For casual play, my goal is to always go bogey free no matter which course it is. For sanctioned events, I want to go bogey free at least 1 round, go double bogey free for the tournament and make birdies on 30% of the holes I play during the tournament. I also set an overall aggregate score goal for the tournament that is 5-10 points higher than my rating. E.g., I am rated 910 and if a 53 on the course is rated at 915 my aggregate goal score for 4 rounds is 53 x 4 = 212. If I shoot 54, 54 the first day I would like to shoot = or < 52 the next round probably to have a chance at 212 for the tournament. I get to these scores by having a goal for each hole in the round. My last tournament was Earlewood and I always play #18 worse than any other hole. My goal for #18 is to make 4 each round but I offset bad holes with a goal of 2's on #4, #10, #11, #14, #15 and #17a for at least 2 rounds. A 3 is a bonus on #18 when I think this way and also I should not be upset if I 4 it.

I have actually played in a tournament with a guy that bogeyed the first hole of a sanctioned tournament and said he thought he was out of it because the 3 others in the group parred the hole.

This is me all over. Rather than quote everyone, here's the things that sometimes help me...

1) Reasonable expectations. Showing up at a tourney expecting, even sub-consciously, to throw darts all day is setting yourself up for failure. Even Climo has a "wtf was that?" shot once or twice a year.

2) Humor. This one is hard, but if you can find the humor in the bad shot(s), that can sometimes help relieve both your tension and the guys on your card.

3) Look at a bad shot as a "dare to be great" opportunity. When I shank a tee shot, I try to make my first thought "it's a man-par opportunity."

These are basically already suggested earlier in the thread. I'd add:

4) Post bad-shot shot selection. When I get frustrated, it translates directly to tightening up physically, which is what turns a bogey into a triple, or one 5 into a 5,8,6 on consecutive holes. A lot of recovering from bad shots is damage control. I almost never can make myself do this, but when i get there, the best thing i can do is disc down, slow down, and try to get the next few shots in the fairway, etc. The tendency can be to try to recover from a bad shot by biting off more than you can chew on the next shot(s), hole(s), which for me leads to the mental game death spiral.

Honestly, the best thing that happened to my mental game was, about a year-18 months into playing, I spent the winter practicing for like 2 hours plus 4-5 times a week, field work, not rounds, and focused practice, like 150 foot putter shots over and over, etc. Getting to the point where, when I made a mistake, I could IDENTIFY/DIAGNOSE what I did wrong, really helped to keep the frustration in check.

most of any sport is mental. What's the yogi berra saying? "Baseball is 90% mental, and the other half physical" Switch to disc golf and that's about dead-on too.

also, a problem i have is trying to "Make up for it" by going for a stupid tough shot that has a low likelihood of success, which normally leads to even a worse result. You can't win the tournament on 1 hole (unless its a play-off) but you sure as hell can lose it on 1 hole. Reducing your blow-up score to a bogey instead of a triple bogey could be the difference between cashing and not cashing, winning/not winning, etc.

most of any sport is mental. What's the yogi berra saying? "Baseball is 90% mental, and the other half physical" Switch to disc golf and that's about dead-on too.

also, a problem i have is trying to "Make up for it" by going for a stupid tough shot that has a low likelihood of success, which normally leads to even a worse result. You can't win the tournament on 1 hole (unless its a play-off) but you sure as hell can lose it on 1 hole. Reducing your blow-up score to a bogey instead of a triple bogey could be the difference between cashing and not cashing, winning/not winning, etc.

Yogi:

"90% of this game is half mental."

This is a great thread. I shoot 4-5 strokes behind my buddy every time we go out, and most of the reason is because I self destruct on 1 hole per 9 consistently.

Whenever I'm out playing and I throw a godawful shot when I am in contention I think "I really need to nail this next shot in order to stay in the game" and then I shank it 3-4 more times in a row until I'm at +5. I do this off tee shots too. "This hole really caters to my strengths, I should really concentrate on doing well." Thinking about mechanics is a great way to screw them up. I need to start thinking about my shots like free throws - just step up to the line, do my thing and let it fly.

Golf is a game of failures. If the goal of the game is to put the disc in the basket, every shot that doesn't go in is a failure.

The blow ups that the op is talking about are 7's, double circle snowman and the like. These sort of break downs usually put you in the back of the box for the next hole, which means you have lots of opportunity to stew about it. Meditation, calming mantras, set routines in the tee box all can help put that last hole in your rearview mirror.

The other good bit of advice I've gotten, is that you also have to be able to forget your really good shots and holes just as quickly.

and practice, the more you trust your shots, the easier it is to move on from the bad ones.

I have a very similar problem. Once I throw a few bad ones, I get upset, then the errors compound themselves. Trying to have a 'Short memory' is a good approach, but can be difficult for some of us. I recently read the article below, and it has really been helping me so far. I will find out how much when I play a tournament this weekend.

The part that is helping me, is when he talks about developing a routine and focusing on completing it. You make completing the routine the focus, which helps take some of the anxiety out of your shot result.
http://www.golf.com/instruction/mental-coach-luke-donald-trains-three-amateur-golfers

There have been other good bits of advice in this thread: Scarpfish is right, banish the don'ts! Focus on "I am going to" rather then "I hope I don't".

I am a natural scorekeeper, but I also find that I do better when I don't focus on my total. One hole at a time. No matter how badly you throw 1 hole, you still have to move on to the next. You are unlikely to 'Make up' 2 or 3 strokes immediately after a meltdown, and it is very tempting to take risky shots to try and get back in it. Staying in your game/routine is the key.

Hopefully my advice will work for me :)

books ...

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect, by Rotella

Fearless Golf: Conquering the Mental Game, by Vialante

Ben Hogan, one of the best ball golfers ever, said he only had 2 or 3 perfect shots a round. He won tournaments by minimizing the impact of his inevitable mistakes on his scorecard.

If you're having one of those days/hours where something is wrong with your form, rather than go for the basket, look an easier line that gets you to a good line for the next shot. The more you miss the high risk shots, the worse your attitude; so play the safer lines for a hole or two until your confidence comes back.

Im reading Zen Golf right now.it was recomended in another similar thread and its helping a lot.i havnt even finished the book yet and its already helping.

I guess I need this approach.

Bad drive = cooler upshot
missed putt = more chances to make it :D

Still it will take some time but I think one of the big things that has helped me is the people I play with. I have found a few super chill players that have really helped me improve my game. The next steps are more about my commitment and I feel mental is the first of those steps.