• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Hypothetical straight flying disc question

PMantle

* Ace Member *
Assume all this is possible. You are presented with a pipe that is 12 feet in diameter. The pipe is in a warehouse with no windows, no fans nor any HVAC system. There is one door and it will be closed during this exercise. The temperature is 72* Fahrenheit, humidity is 60% and the area is 100' above sea level. There is a 12' concrete tee pad that ends 10' from the beginning of the pipe that is sitting on the floor of the warehouse. There is a full moon.

What disc, off the rack, would you choose in a contest where the winning throw is the one where the disc travels the farthest from the tee pad through the pipe before touching any part of the pipe?

From the stuff I've thrown, probably a Devan Owens Opto-X Sparkle River.

I would choose a 155 Neutron Wave.

Rationale:

1. Wave can fly very straight on a slight hyzerflip.
2. I am not a long thrower so I would need to use a distance driver to have a chance in the contest.
3. I have a high degree of familiarity with this disc.

Without the "off the rack" condition my answer would be a seasoned 155 DX Teebird.

"Off the rack"...

I'm sure glad I brought along my rack of flat, opaque, pat #, beaten in champ Eagle L's.

For new/stock discs, I have no idea. Nova seems to fly really straight when fresh, but it's not going to get to crazy far with a 12' ceiling. I have to imagine there's something else out there that would make it farther. I don't personally throw Comets or Sanny/Ontario Rocs, but those might be popular choices.

My Barsby RR was pretty dang straight when brand new. That's an aggressive choice tho.

Edit: Actually, I have no idea how anything flies at 100' above sea level. My answers are worthless.

Last edited:
Knowing that I'm going to hit the pipe inevitably anyway and just trying to get as far down it as possible beforehand, I'd hyzer flip my Star Shryke on a forehand. Forehand gives me the best chance of hitting near the middle of the pipe, and a Shryke holds pretty straight for quite awhile- well past when a putter or mid would have hit the ground with a 12' ceiling for me.

Atomic Piwakawaka, it's the absolute best disc for dead straight shots that I've ever used. 150 class Teebird or Crave could work well too.

Latest posts