• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am Almost Done with DG...

Stardoggy made a great point about new courses. If you can't get out to a new course, a safari round at your home course can change things up too. Or a putter only round. Anything to break up the monotony of playing the same holes the same way over and over again.

Someone earlier in the thread (think it was mattc) mentioned Zephyr-only rounds. I think that's a great idea. Some of the most fun I've had the last couple years were carrying two dx zephyrs around and not worrying about score that much.
I even aced with one, which was hilarious and awesome.

Stardoggy made a great point about new courses. If you can't get out to a new course, a safari round at your home course can change things up too. Or a putter only round. Anything to break up the monotony of playing the same holes the same way over and over again.

This and the Zephyer/condor only round idea is great as well. Sometimes we break out the Ript revenge cards to shake things up. The main thing is just to keep the game fun, and not stress out on numbers.

I agree with the majority here: if it's not fun, don't force it. I've walked off the course many times during a casual round simply because I'm not having fun. Take a break from disc golf if it's becoming a chore. I also find it more fun these days to play without keeping score. Throwing discs around a park on a pretty day is plenty of fun on its own. A word I've seen being promoted on the interwebs recently is mindfulness, which points to the enjoyment of living in the moment. Focus less on the score and more on having fun where you are. But if you need a break, take that first, and then come back to the course with a mind to enjoy the experience of the park and the flight of the disc rather than the contest of scorekeeping. :)

wtf? Feel better about yourself now Hook? He said that his game has regressed and you make fun of him for practicing putts that you consider a drop in. Very classy.:mad:

I practice 10-15' putts daily. Knowing, with absolute certainty, that I will make the comebacker gives me freedom to run every long putt I face...barring a few "death-putt" scenarios.

When I feel bad about my game I just throw a few rounds with people that are much worse than I am to see how far I have come. :)

Best of luck my friend however you decide to handle it. In the end, it's just plastic and chains........

#quitthesport

I've taken breaks from everything I love the most and come back better at it. Give it time, come back when it sounds fun to doink some gimmes, and you'll doink less than before.

Yeah, some times I want to leave my bag at hole #1 with a note that says, " Good Luck" or cut every flight plate and throw all my discs in the nearest trash can :eek:.

The OCD that lives inside me wont let that happen...:eek:.

Chasing those numbers is a cruel and addictive bitch sometimes...

Been here for sure...

Sometimes I have to play the game of "punishing" my gear. In other words, put all my discs/bag etc up in a top shelf in a closet I never go into and give it the solitary confinement treatment for a couple of weeks.

Then just as the rest of my life really starts taking over, I remember why I got hooked on DG in the first place, lol. I get the itch back.

I forgot to say - "Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect" is one of my all time favorite books. I can't say enough good things about it.

Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect by Bob Rotella and is considered a must read for any serious (disc)golfer. You mentioned the negative thoughts you are having. This book can absolutely help you create a more positive dialog for yourself. Most of the book is common sense, but it shows step by step how to apply the common sense you already have while you are out on the course.

The original disc golf "high" can be more elusive once you have been addicted for a while. It seems harder to get that same rush of excitement, especially if you are playing the same course over and over again. Even though it has been said already:

Take a few days off and let your tolerance wear off. (Maybe read the book cover to cover instead of playing a few rounds.)

Go to a different course. Take a drive and play that only course on your wishlist. Better yet, add more nearby courses to your wishlist and get out and play them too.

Go throw your next 10 rounds 100% Forehand. You said you need to learn to throw forehand, what better time than now? Make the commitment to throw all your drives, approaches and even putts with a forehand - even if it means getting a double bogey or two. How long did it take until you felt comfortable and had control of your backhand throw? 10 forehand only rounds is a place to start.

Then throw 10 rounds with only your putters. It will be tough to resist breaking out your drivers on that long hole, but you will be amazed at what you can learn about your game if you stick with it for a few rounds.

Hope you can find the fun again soon.:thmbup:

My buds and I have discussed if it's possible for the top pros to have, relative to their average play, many awesome rounds. It would be easy to usually be disappointed.

Pushing 320ft? Do u even lift bro? Loljk
If u usually go play solo, try playing with friends. Anything can be fun with the right ppl.

This is how i play ball golf. Im no good at it and dont have the funds/time to get as good as i want at it, so i make it about the ppl im with. A few brews and good peeps keeps me coming back

Its just a game, chill out and enjoy ur surroundings

Last edited:
There's been a lot of good advice, my favorite is trying something different on the course. Putter rounds, where you have little to no expectations. You said you have no forehand game...spend the next month only throwing forehands. Start throwing with your other arm, it's easier than you think!

If none of that appeals to you, just take a break. You'll come back to it when you want to, or you won't ever want to. Kinda win/win.

Reading through this thread makes me wish this planet had an 85% reduction in population.

Throw a round with the Franklin 3 disc set, then throw a second round with your actual discs. You're welcome.

Yep...time to zen out and play with a putter only for a few days or even weeks. Forget about scores and just enjoy nature. After you feel relaxed and you're throwing the putter straight, level, etc, perhaps change to a mid range. Also..once I stopped worrying about other's scores the game became alot more fun for me. I still have some mental challenges as I'm very competitive with myself, but at the least the game has remained fun.

I took a break about 2 years ago, haven't picked up a disc since then.

*See my signature*

Yep...time to zen out and play with a putter only for a few days or even weeks. Forget about scores and just enjoy nature. After you feel relaxed and you're throwing the putter straight, level, etc, perhaps change to a mid range. Also..once I stopped worrying about other's scores the game became alot more fun for me. I still have some mental challenges as I'm very competitive with myself, but at the least the game has remained fun.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this... discing down is a great way to fix your problems

also, just getting out there and tooling around... don't keep score... just keep track of holes that you threw well and had fun on... a little break is also very helpful. Seems like you are in a little rut there OP... try to break free of it by ditching your bag and just having a fun time... play safety golf when you don't feel the mojo... go for it when you do feel it... forgive yourself when you throw like crap by smiling and laughing at yourself... etc and so on...

lot of good advice so far in the thread and really happy you made this thread OP... we all go through this from time to time :)

Latest posts