• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am Almost Done with DG...

I've found a good serious injury to be an effective treatment.

Once you go an extended period being unable to throw at all, throwing badly doesn't seem all that bad.

Yeah I can relate.

One of my regular DG buddies had a very serious car accident around Thanksgiving, a lady fell asleep and drifted into their lane and hit him and his son (who was driving) head-on. Broken leg, ripped things you don't want ripped, suffered strokes that caused some paralysis. HE'S BACK PLAYING DISC GOLF! He's got to walk with a cane and relegated to playing the flatter part of the course but he is a damn champion. Hell, he probably still putts better than I do.

So there's some perspective. Getting burned out is understandable but never take it for granted. If there's something you'd rather do, go do that for awhile. Otherwise, turn that frown upside down.

Suck it up man ,you are probally never going to make a living playing d.g. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and get out and enjoy yourself. Everybody gets caught up in how far you drive ,ect. Who cares, I am 54 and don't throw very far but me and my friends love to walk around ,have a few beers and just enjoy life. I suggest you do the same , its only a game lighten up.

When I'm in the backyard...****ing around and relaxing...yeah. We can't all be 1000 rated trolls on an internet forum.
Hahahaha too good! Could you upload some footage of your 10 foot putt practice? We could all lau... learn from it! L2p! Pro tips pls?!?!?!

You know what usually gets me back motivated again if I'm starting to get bored.

A good old Ace!

Then I'm rearin to go again!

finally found someone i couldn't just ignore online or in real life without giving myself an ulcer. congrats, sir/madam hook_nuts; i tip my hat to you and bid thee adieu.

annnnnd this thread just got a whole lot more tolerable.

When that happens, I usually take a few days off from playing golf and either do nothing but putt, or throw in a field for a bit. Tomorrow I plan on just putting in the backyard about 500-1000 putts through the day, just 10-15 footers, maybe stretch it out to 20ft if I'm hitting good. No stress, a few beers, some tunes, just relaxed putting, muscle memory type stuff. That's typically how I break new putters in too. I hate just taking time off, it happens every once in a while but I usually give in and at least putt.

Solid advice. As you said, the repetition builds muscle memory, and just working the basics is the key to consistency.

Mr. Jack Nicklaus said that he would spend a lot of time just working on his hand grip of his (ball golf) golf club, then his stance and address. Didn't even swing, just worked on the address. I think six Green Jackets was the result.

So practicing those very basic things is huge. I need to do more of it myself, so thanks for the post and the inspiration.

Pfft. This is why I love course bagging.

You'll get bored if you're playing the same few courses all the time. You'll start thinking only about the great shots you've made on each hole, and never be satisfied.

Instead of doing that, get in your car, and go bag some new courses. Most times, it only takes a couple good shots to get your entire mojo going again, and that's far easier to do when you're aiming at new targets. Don't worry about going with other friends (although that's fine, too). Just get in your vehicle one day and go drive an hour to a couple new courses and have fun. It'll change your perspective.

I forgot to say - "Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect" is one of my all time favorite books. I can't say enough good things about it.

I have played now for 12 years and really have progressed very little. I play because it is fun. When it isn't fun, find something else for awhile. Disc golf will be there when you are ready for it. Or you may find something you like better and disc golf can be your break from that.

Play for fun, or don't play. Isn't that what play means?

When that happens, I usually take a few days off from playing golf and either do nothing but putt, or throw in a field for a bit. Tomorrow I plan on just putting in the backyard about 500-1000 putts through the day, just 10-15 footers, maybe stretch it out to 20ft if I'm hitting good. No stress, a few beers, some tunes, just relaxed putting, muscle memory type stuff. That's typically how I break new putters in too. I hate just taking time off, it happens every once in a while but I usually give in and at least putt.

When you get tired of disc golf, you just take it easy and throw ~1000 putts. Lol :D

Pfft. This is why I love course bagging.

You'll get bored if you're playing the same few courses all the time. You'll start thinking only about the great shots you've made on each hole, and never be satisfied.

Instead of doing that, get in your car, and go bag some new courses. Most times, it only takes a couple good shots to get your entire mojo going again, and that's far easier to do when you're aiming at new targets. Don't worry about going with other friends (although that's fine, too). Just get in your vehicle one day and go drive an hour to a couple new courses and have fun. It'll change your perspective.

This is one great way to bring a bit of spark back if that's what you're looking for.

Or, if you have the funds or extra discs sitting around, completely overhaul your bag for a few weeks. I mean 100% overhaul from top to bottom. It will force you to make shot with a disc (of course some field throws first would be recommended) instead of routinely throwing a hole/pin position. You might discover something you like, and you certainly will improve your skills by forcing new discs to do what you want.

Alternatively, you could do a doubles round and switch bags with your partner, if they buy into that kind of thing :)

Find some fun people to play with. Then, it is impossible to have a bad time. Make odd stipulations. Play mids or putters only. Don't even bother keeping score if you don't want to. Just have fun. Disc golf is fun.

Lots of good advice in here. Travel to some new courses, field work, beer and putting practice. All solid advice but I am opposite on taking a break from DG. If you love it that much just keep playing and push through the slump. The more you play the more opportunities you'll have to make great shots or drain a 60' putt and that will bring the confidence back. I think everyone hits plateaus and sometimes even regresses a bit but you have to remember that when you hit that spot you are still better than you were before and when you come out of it you'll be better than ever.

Last edited:
I am not sure if anyone suggested this already, but do you have a buddy you can play a few bag-swap rounds with? Sometimes throwing new discs and just having fun can bring back some of the enjoyment. If you throw bad shots with a disc that is new to you...well, who cares? It was a disc that you weren't used to - no sweat. If you throw an awesome shot - great! Maybe you just found some new plastic that you "click" with.

In the end, though, take a break if you feel like you really need it. Remember that, for most of us, disc golf is as a source of fun outside of life's other frustrations. If it stops being fun, then it is probably time to take a break until you feel motivated to play again. Sorry you are feeling discouraged, but believe me when I say all of us have our bad days, weeks, months where we just play poorly...or, like me, some of us just ALWAYS play poorly ;).

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I suggest starting from the basket, and move your way out. Take a few days to regain your putting confidence, then move back 50-100 ft, regain your mid game confidence. Worry about your driving later. If you can throw 275-300 straight, and can putt, you should be able to make your way around most courses just fine..

Latest posts