• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I give up

m1shootr

Bogey Member
OK. I give up. I'm an older player (65). I seem to be maxing at 200' average,sometimes 275. I've been playing for a couple months. Is there any hope of a consistent 300' drive? I love the game. It gives me exercise and fun all wrapped up in 1 package.

you do not need distance to be a good player, accuracy and putting are really what matters. what good is throwing 300 + feet if you have no accuracy?

I'll tell you what good it is - not at all.

There is no denying that average distance drops with age but if you can identify what aspects of aging lead to that loss, you might be able to offset it.

At 52, I believe that the lack of flexibility and core strength are the two main factors that limit distance on a physical level. I stretch off and on during the week for a total of about 3 hours and do a bit of core other than disc golf which, I don't think gets to your core until you develop proper form so if your form sucks, do lots of core also. Muscle recovery is also slower as you age but Shaklee makes a bananna flavored recovery powder that is nothing short of miraculous.

Oh, and a couple of months is still infancy in disc golf terms, even for a young guy.

Best wishes.

At 52 my average distance drive (minus obstical hits) is 370'-390' (flex vs. hyzer flip) but I know that I am a rare exception. I play with 95% younger guys but my distance is 3rd best in a group of about 30 guys.

playing for a couple of months isn't much really. Get on youtube and watch some form videos and you can learn a ton. If you get your form down you can start inproving your game all around.

My buddy is 60+ and he competes and wins in Masters and Grand Master events with probably an average drive of 275'. He can hit 300+ with the right tail wind, downhill or occasional spectacular throw. Work on form, get what you can out of your drive, and then be accurate with approaches and putts. For most of us it is about fun, not winning some long *ss tourney on a hot summer day. Just enjoy.

My buddy is 60+ and he competes and wins in Masters and Grand Master events with probably an average drive of 275'. He can hit 300+ with the right tail wind, downhill or occasional spectacular throw. Work on form, get what you can out of your drive, and then be accurate with approaches and putts. For most of us it is about fun, not winning some long *ss tourney on a hot summer day. Just enjoy.

Thanks. Good advice. I'm finding a slow smooth throw helps.

Unless you have a real physical ailment I would expect you to pick up distance over time. Practice in a field -- really hard to do but worth it. Really think about how you're throwing, watch videos, think, practice, repeat... It's not about strength but technique and timing.

I agree. Its FUN!. But more fun when you do better. At least that's what I tell my wife. The most fun is the fact she enjoys disc golf.

Just be grateful that she goes with you.

My wife walked the course while I played one time and that was that. She said, 'all this walking and so little throwing, why don't you just walk by the house with me?'

My wife picks up trash when we play heh heh, still good times. She tosses a few but not in the woods or anywhere remotely near water (she can throw 200' if there's a creek up there). But she has her trash bucket and pickup thingy so it's hard to throw too much :)

It took me close to six years to be able to throw 300 feet and then another 6 months to throw 350 feet and then it took 8 months of rain and not playing to go back to 300 feet. :)

Light discs are your friend. You'd be amazed how far you can throw those things with great form and finesse.

OK. I give up. I'm an older player (65). I seem to be maxing at 200' average,sometimes 275. I've been playing for a couple months. Is there any hope of a consistent 300' drive? I love the game. It gives me exercise and fun all wrapped up in 1 package.

Probably. On the positive side, progress is often like a ratchet: big gain, then stuck at a level for a while, then another jump, then plateau, etc.

On the other hand, I'm 55, have been playing almost 20 years, and my distance has been in decline for several years. I'm not throwing 300' very often anymore, and I'm sure I won't be at 65.

Light discs are your friend. You'd be amazed how far you can throw those things with great form and finesse.

I'll second that. I've bought so many discs trying to add distance as I don't have a big arm either. After extensive testing my longest discs are a 137 Starlite Tern and a 155 Opto Air Bolt. While it's true that form is more important than the disc there's no doubt light, glidey, understable discs can extend distance. I've been through extensive field testing to prove this to myself. As for form - check out some of the recent threads started by UniHyzerBomber and his blog here - http://heavydisc.blogspot.com/2014/08/guess-what-im-doing.html - really helping me. The Mike C videos are great as well.

The 300 foot drive in DG and the 300 yard drive in traditional golf are way overrated.

Latest posts