• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A New Trusted Reviewer Data Spreadsheet Is Coming - Give Your Feedback

Tyler V

Cubic Zirconia Hype Man | DGCR Chief Statistician
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Ope, Hi Fellow Cool Cats and Kittens,

I am working on reviving the TR Data Spreadsheet, and should have one ready to share within a couple of weeks as I work to finish updating information. It will have the same information as the previous one, in addition to vote score to coincide with the site update.

Here's everything I currently have on the spreadsheet:

Name
TR Level Including CZ
Location if Available
Gender if Included on Your Profile
Age if Included on your Profile
Years Played
PDGA # if it was on the old spreadsheet, or if you share it with me
Reviews
Courses Played
% of Courses Reviewed
Thumbs Up
Thumbs Down
Vote Score
Total Thumbs
% Helpful
Thumbs Up per Review
Thumbs Down per Review
Total Thumbs per Review
Unique Voters Up
Unique Voters Down
Users Following You
Uses You Are Following
Average Review Rating
States Played
Countries Played
Thumbs Up Given
Thumbs Down Given
% of Thumbs Up
Order of Diamond Attainment for our Diamond Reviews, And Month/Year Attained

I plan to keep up with updating reviews and thumbs (and unique voters hopefully) as reviews are submitted to the site - I'm at a point where I am now keeping up with current reviews for this spreadsheet as I finish updating the remaining TRs near the bottom of the list. Most of the other information on the spreadsheet will be more of an annual update like with the original spreadsheet, as it takes time to update everything else.

Feedback I'd Like From You
1. How would you like the TR order to be set? I can put people in order of review count, total thumbs up, or Vote Score. Vote Score (Thumbs Ups minus Thumbs Down) is currently how TR status is determined, but I also respect if you would prefer to see it done by Total Thumbs Up. Let me know, and I'll tally up responses and go with whatever is in front when I wrap up updating the spreadsheet.

2. Is there anything else you'd like to see on this spreadsheet? Keep in mind some things might be too challenging to realistically put on the spreadsheet, or might be an annual update category, that being said, I want this to serve as many people as possible, so if you have an idea, let's talk about it.
3. Anything you think isn't worth being on the spreadsheet from the list up above? If enough people agree on a certain item, I'm happy to dump it for the sake of making the sheet less overwhelming to viewers.

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate all the effort. For my practical use, in researching courses for trips and playing [which is likely above average], I really need some kind of icon thingy, designating one as a TR, by their name on reviews. The rest of the above information is of no value.

Maybe I am not the target audience? I am not sure what the purpose of this is.

You're the man, Tyler, but I really think this is a job for @greens. It's crazy to have someone update this manually when the admins could set something up that links to the database and updates in real time.

I know Sisyphus was asking timg for that same thing for years, but I think this is something that should be added to the to-do list. I'm sure having a mock up that people have already voiced opinions on would be helpful. I just don't think you should have to be updating this thing manually.

I can't think of anything else to add to your list of columns.

I would think you'd want to set it as either thumbs up or vote score. There's already a top reviewers section under the members tab so that can easily be looked up already. That or possibly % helpful even. And as Count already said, you the man 👍

Maybe I am not the target audience? I am not sure what the purpose of this is.

You are not the target audience. This spreadsheet has been around for years already, Tyler just took it over recently. This has nothing to do with or affect being able to read reviews. Reviews still show what level of TR wrote each one. Won't affect that in any way.

I'm going to assume you'll do an overall sort for each level, as you do now. My initial thinking is that order within each level should be by one of the key determinents of Trusted Level. That is, Net Positives or # Uniques. Of those two, I lean toward Net Positives because that gives a sense of broad acceptance within the community.

Net Positives is harder to achieve these days, so it's sort of "worth more." But I think for the purposes of creating a useful list order, Net Positives is more valuable to the viewer.

I'm going to assume you'll do an overall sort for each level, as you do now. My initial thinking is that order within each level should be by one of the key determinents of Trusted Level. That is, Net Positives or # Uniques. Of those two, I lean toward Net Positives because that gives a sense of broad acceptance within the community.

Net Positives is harder to achieve these days, so it's sort of "worth more." But I think for the purposes of creating a useful list order, Net Positives is more valuable to the viewer.
I currently have everyone together sorted by positive votes, so the different levels are mixed in with each other. My thought was kind of gives a little more visual recognition for folks punching above their current TR status due to uniques, like Shadrach for CZs or FoleyT who is Silver with around 500 positive thumbs. TR status is written and color coded in the left so that info is easy to see.

I'm assuming net positive means the vote score? That's good reasoning.

You're the man, Tyler, but I really think this is a job for @greens. It's crazy to have someone update this manually when the admins could set something up that links to the database and updates in real time.

I know Sisyphus was asking timg for that same thing for years, but I think this is something that should be added to the to-do list. I'm sure having a mock up that people have already voiced opinions on would be helpful. I just don't think you should have to be updating this thing manually.

I can't think of anything else to add to your list of columns.
I also really want a version of the former member search back. The old member list in the site had courses played and reviews, but none of the other info; you had to pick individuals for other details like thumbs. The spreadsheet is really just for number nerds, of which I am one. That being said, I wouldn't complain if it ends up becoming obsolete by an equivalent thing on the site. I at least want the member search back, where I can see 20 or more members per page and sort around. Right now, if you don't know a member exists and they aren't present on the site today, they can be hard to discover.

If you send me the sheet, I can look at implementing those feature sets.
Uh oh, let me get my computer up in a bit here. I'll PM you

I currently have everyone together sorted by positive votes, so the different levels are mixed in with each other.
...which may be confusing to the unitiated, casual viewer, causing questions about why certain people are at each level. The problem you have is displaying rankings that are based on multiple factors, while being able to sort by only one of them. Since level is based on Net Positives PLUS Number of Uniques AND a maximum threshold of Negatives, there's no single way to rank.

Just to be devil's advocate, people "punching above their weight" in one category may be a long way off in others; in fact, they might not care about their place at all, just happy to be contributors either currently or sometime in the past.

Encouraging contributors, helping people is great. I'm in favor. And if you sort first on the basis of level, and then stack rank 'em by vote or unique, they'll be able to see how close to "the top" they are in their current status.

Sorry, this might sort of read like a rant. Not intended as such. Impressed and thankfull for your efforts, @Tyler V

...which may be confusing to the unitiated, casual viewer, causing questions about why certain people are at each level. The problem you have is displaying rankings that are based on multiple factors, while being able to sort by only one of them. Since level is based on Net Positives PLUS Number of Uniques AND a maximum threshold of Negatives, there's no single way to rank.

Just to be devil's advocate, people "punching above their weight" in one category may be a long way off in others; in fact, they might not care about their place at all, just happy to be contributors either currently or sometime in the past.

Encouraging contributors, helping people is great. I'm in favor. And if you sort first on the basis of level, and then stack rank 'em by vote or unique, they'll be able to see how close to "the top" they are in their current status.

Sorry, this might sort of read like a rant. Not intended as such. Impressed and thankfull for your efforts, @Tyler V
You're all good, these are all valid points.

That is the trick with the spreadsheet, that it can only really be sorted in one way (unless I just haven't learned how to make each column sortable without breaking it yet if there's a method for that). I see pros and cons to both set ups, where everyone is ranked by vote count or are separated by level first. This is also another reason the return of a member search that has every member like on the original site setup would be great with some added categories like vote count and thumbs, or the return of an FAQ area where newer members can easily find what information about the different levels. Greens and Dev have separately mentioned these already and Greens is now in on this too so I don't mean to beat the dead horse.

In the meantime as Greens checks out the spreadsheet info, if folks prefer to have separation by TR level on the spreadsheet, I can easily make that happen and would be happy to switch to that.

Ope, Hi Fellow Cool Cats and Kittens,

I am working on reviving the TR Data Spreadsheet, and should have one ready to share within a couple of weeks as I work to finish updating information. It will have the same information as the previous one, in addition to vote score to coincide with the site update.

Here's everything I currently have on the spreadsheet:

Name
TR Level Including CZ
Location if Available
Gender if Included on Your Profile
Age if Included on your Profile
Years Played
PDGA # if it was on the old spreadsheet, or if you share it with me
Reviews
Courses Played
% of Courses Reviewed
Thumbs Up
Thumbs Down
Vote Score
Total Thumbs
% Helpful
Thumbs Up per Review
Thumbs Down per Review
Total Thumbs per Review
Unique Voters Up
Unique Voters Down
Users Following You
Uses You Are Following
Average Review Rating
States Played
Countries Played
Thumbs Up Given
Thumbs Down Given
% of Thumbs Up
Order of Diamond Attainment for our Diamond Reviews, And Month/Year Attained

I plan to keep up with updating reviews and thumbs (and unique voters hopefully) as reviews are submitted to the site - I'm at a point where I am now keeping up with current reviews for this spreadsheet as I finish updating the remaining TRs near the bottom of the list. Most of the other information on the spreadsheet will be more of an annual update like with the original spreadsheet, as it takes time to update everything else.

Feedback I'd Like From You
1. How would you like the TR order to be set? I can put people in order of review count, total thumbs up, or Vote Score. Vote Score (Thumbs Ups minus Thumbs Down) is currently how TR status is determined, but I also respect if you would prefer to see it done by Total Thumbs Up. Let me know, and I'll tally up responses and go with whatever is in front when I wrap up updating the spreadsheet.

2. Is there anything else you'd like to see on this spreadsheet? Keep in mind some things might be too challenging to realistically put on the spreadsheet, or might be an annual update category, that being said, I want this to serve as many people as possible, so if you have an idea, let's talk about it.
3. Anything you think isn't worth being on the spreadsheet from the list up above? If enough people agree on a certain item, I'm happy to dump it for the sake of making the sheet less overwhelming to viewers.

Thanks everyone!
Amazing effort, as usual. Thank you!!

Long term, I agree that this sort of functionality should be part of the site like Countchunkula said.

Shorter term, have you considered using a database instead of a spreadsheet? You could use something like Airtable and make different views of the same data that are catered to different purposes. I *think* you could do everything you're describing with the free plan.

Amazing effort, as usual. Thank you!!

Long term, I agree that this sort of functionality should be part of the site like Countchunkula said.

Shorter term, have you considered using a database instead of a spreadsheet? You could use something like Airtable and make different views of the same data that are catered to different purposes. I *think* you could do everything you're describing with the free plan.
I have not but I'll be looking into this.

I have not but I'll be looking into this.
I use Airtable for work, and to back up all of my personal course played/review data.

I can screen record a little example vid if you want?

I use Airtable for work, and to back up all of my personal course played/review data.

I can screen record a little example vid if you want?
I wouldn't say no to that!

I'll do it tomorrow!
Robert Redford Yes GIF by GritTV

Obviously I'm impressed and thrilled to hear all of this on your part AND that Greens is looking to collaborate on the effort. I merely inherited the old spreadsheet from others when I was at the same level of statistical curiosity as you are now. Thrilled to hear we may have an option for users to choose how they want to view the info!

And for those who don't 'get' why we like this info, in any competitive endeavor, folks tend to have a curiosity to see how they 'stack up'.